PDA

View Full Version : What to use to clean "Emblam"

Lowprofile
03-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I cannot seem to find any useful info on how to clean and restore the emblam on the front and rear of a specific car. What I am reffering to is the silver, plastic (?), emblam a car maker puts on there vehicle ie: NISSAN, TOYOTA, HONDA emblams on the front of the hood and on the back of the trunk. Looks like they are made of plastic and are silver. What do you use to bring them back to 'like new'? Mine is covered in oxidation, water spots etc. I believe if the emblam on a nice car is a deffinate detailing part. Used various QDers and even Pinnacle pre cleaner but the spots and oxidation won't go away. Is there a process to make these parts look like new? Would deffinately finish the detail. What do I need to do? Thanks

supercharged
03-18-2009, 02:45 AM
I learned a trick a while ago off UK forum (detailingworld) to use Swissvax wheels brush (boar's hair) with APC on that. Works very well, I use Megs APC 4:1.

dublifecrisis
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I've had good luck with just putting my finger in a thin MF towel with some Duragloss 105 or poli-seal. If it's heavier oxidation, like Supercharged mentioned, an APC and a soft brush.

I would be as gentle as possible because the chrome/painted is usually thin and delicate on those badges.

RaskyR1
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I actually like to use ColorX or M66. Mothers chrome polish seems to work well too.

Lowprofile
03-19-2009, 12:30 AM
So which, specifically, AIO would one use...I believe this to be an intrique part in the detiling process and as such think it deserves some real attention.

Showroom Shine
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
EMBLEM! If it is a coated plastic. Sometime the coating can wear off. If it is metal ,it can be that it has been permanately damaged. The gases in the air can discolor all metals and coated pot metal. Especially coated plastic or cheaper metals. Hydrogen Sulfide, the gas that exsist in sewers,wastewater plants,and various other plants can damage metals and copper wiring. Once this happens,you may be able to clean it up to look ok. The best repair is recoating,which is expensive. Also it depends on the material the emblem is made of and how it was coated and with what! Alot of variables there! Good Luck!