PDA

View Full Version : Times must be tough as ....

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I visited Home Depot for the first time since last Fall. There were 2 greeters at the door, one handing me a flyer and the other asking if I needed help to find something. While in the store 3 times, yes 3 times, I was asked if I was okay finding everything I needed. Plus.....plus......they did it with a smile!!Other than the first 6 months, when it opened 7 years ago, Home Depot never had that , especially on a Saturday, usually can't find someone to help and many times felt like I was bothering them.

Howard

img
03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I was a fan of HD for years, but have found that I favor Lowes.

loudog2
03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
:iagree:I used to like Home Depot. Until they treated me like crap. They lost touch with the average consumer. If you weren't a contractor or builder, you didn't get respect when ordering products(lumber, door) for delivery. I called Lowes after the Home Depot incident. They delivered the next day for me, with no hassels, and called when they were leaving. Now that's customer service.

Harleyguy
03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Never had any problems like that with the two close to my house.I just enjoy going there and watching everyone wandering around looking lost and carry parts in there hands hoping they can get some help.Weekend warriors like us

loudog2
03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Mine problem was mostly with delivery department. Not the in-store sales people. They didn't think my order was big enough to be rushed. $1000 in supplies(lumber and a couple doors). She was basically trying to talk down to me about all the big orders she deals with. And how they contract out there deliveries because they are so busy. Oh well! Lowes was happy to help me and made me feel important. Got my stuff delivered in less than 12 hours from purchase.

DiPaoro
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
HD put Channel and Rickels out of business by me. Now, HD operates close to these stores. I prefer Lowes but have to drive considerably further to get there. Having said that, I will be visiting Lowes on Tuesday for a nice Proline sponge or two.

killrflake
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Home Depot was the place to go for years and then the people that roamed the aisles looking to help shoppers started to disappear. HD used to hire retired plumbers and other skilled people to stay on the floor to help their customers find what they needed for whatever job they were working on at home, and all of a sudden they were gone and I had to try to find somebody or anybody to ask for help. Most of them now know less then I do. On to Lowes I found just what HD used to be and a better variety, and prices that are equal if not better. I guess this is the way it will stay till the next mega home store comes out, if one ever does in this economy.

Harleyguy
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Well HD just started closing there EXPO centers .That bites they carried some hard to find things.I remodeled two bathrooms using EXPO .

Surfer
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I like Lowes better but it's too far for me when HD is about 5 min up the road.

VISITOR
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
on top of their poor service (when i've shopped there), there stores are always pretty dirty (i don't expect to be spot free) and dusty...

BenzDetailer
03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Lowes is my favorite. The staff is more helpful, the stores are cleaner and the prices are better. Lowes in my area opened stores right next to or across the street from HD's making it an easy business for them of taking away HD customers.

RaskyR1
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I found HD to much better than Lowes in my area. My girl went to HD to get electrical stuff for wiring up a hot tub with no clue to what she actually needed. She found a very helpful sales person, who was actually a licensed electrician help her find everything she needed. She even wrote a letter to the store since she was so happy with the service.

I really think both stores are great but they vary from city to city.

To the OP, I have found the service at Best Buy to be worse now. 6 months ago I went in to buy a new A/V receiver and was asked if I need help several times and even had an employee who was knowledgeable in electronics help me out (I know, it blew me away too!)

Last week my girl went in to buy a Blu-ray player at the same store and could not find help at all. After searching around for help she finally found 3 employees talking and they seemed irritated when she asked for help. The person working the electronics section had no clue what they were talking about either, and could not even answer any of my girls questions. She also had to wait forever in line since there was only one register open....on a Saturday! In the past they had opened more registers as the lines got busy.

In these tough times it would seem like HD is doing it right IMO....at least in your area. ;)

Meghan
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
To the OP, I have found the service at Best Buy to be worse now. 6 months ago I went in to buy a new A/V receiver and was asked if I need help several times and even had an employee who was knowledgeable in electronics help me out (I know, it blew me away too!)

In these tough times it would seem like HD is doing it right IMO....at least in your area. ;)

Crazy its opposite by me, HD has no time for you, but you go into Lowes and you are treated like you are the only customer they have. As for Best Buy went in there to buy a TV just needed help getting it in the cart and they could not spend the few mins to help... so no TV was bought from there!

One thing I have learned working in this line of business or really any customer based... Customer Service is an easy service to provide and there is no excuse to not provide it.:cheers:

Chris27182
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I studied Lowes in my Marketing class. Lowes is actually designed for the women shopper. There stores are cleaner, there shelves are lower, they dont operate forklifts during the day, and they have god customer service. HD failed to realize its the women that mostly designed the home while it was the men that installed those items. Its kinda funny seeing how many men also appreciate lowes as well.

Lonewolf2007
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
:iagree: Home Depot used to be much better.

I now use Lowes they have much better customer service.

:goodpost: