PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with detailing questions. Swirls specifically

EddieNunez8620
03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading stuff all over this forum and all over youtube and online..... and I still need some clarification and wondering if you guys can help.

I have a 2005 Lincoln Navigator in white with 24" chrome rims......

Im trying to start detailing it myself this summer and want to get started soon since we're getting a little warmer here in NYC.

My car stays outside all the time and I wash it weekly at a hand car wash place that charges $25 to do it, but does not wash the car properly with the 2 bucket process.

As a newbie can you guys help me and tell me what is it that I need to remove tons of swirls all over my car.

You can see it under any light condition...... The cars paint does gloss and shine.
Sometimes after the car wash I put on some of meguires NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G12718) and the car would look very shiny but with swirls.

Also what can you guys recommend for the chrome rims?

and for the interior leather?

I really appreciate all your comments, I am going to ask for one more favor. Please keep the language as basic as possible (LOL) because some posts I read and it says try "m105/205"..... and I have no clue what this means LOL!!!

I will try to post some pics of how the car looks..........

Thanks for the replies

Eddie

pricha00
03-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Well Eddie I guess you should let us know exactly what tools you have at your disposal. Paint correction can be done by hand but a PC or even better a rotary will be way faster and give a better finish. If you are starting from scratch why not try one of the polishing kits and a PC and go from there. If you have some friends who like a nice looking car you could always split costs and share the equipment. I did that with my first UDM that I purchased. Worked out well and then stepped up to a rotary.

Pat.

Harleyguy
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Well Eddie I guess you should let us know exactly what tools you have at your disposal. Paint correction can be done by hand but a PC or even better a rotary will be way faster and give a better finish. If you are starting from scratch why not try one of the polishing kits and a PC and go from there. If you have some friends who like a nice looking car you could always split costs and share the equipment. I did that with my first UDM that I purchased. Worked out well and then stepped up to a rotary.

Pat.That's a great way for college students,High school students to get into Detailing sharing the expenses :cheers:

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah man, please let us know what all you have so we can help you out a little better.

EddieNunez8620
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Right now I have a bunch of meguiars products.

SwirlX

Crystal Polish

NXT Wax 2.0

Ultimate Quik detailer

meguiars polishing pads

meguiars foam pads

meguiars microfiber towels

Then I have a bunch of Amor All products such as

Ultra shine and wax

Fierce Shine Tire Foam protection

Original Protectant

Cleaning wipes

auto glass cleaner

triple action wheel cleaner

and Mothers Chrome Polish for my rims

EddieNunez8620
03-18-2009, 07:11 PM
anyone??

dublifecrisis
03-18-2009, 08:34 PM
You really need a machine polisher like porter cable, Flex DA with 2-4 orange, white, gray 5.5 inch pads. You need 2 polishes-1 with more cut and a finishing polish. You need some decent microfiber towels, a clay bar.
With the research you've done so far, you should be able to grow on that by learning efficient ways to utilize the tools and products to get all the swirls out of your paint. You've obviously got the passion and done some research because you already realize that the 2 bucket method is better than your current process. Improper washing/drying is what created the swirls whether it was you, the dealer, previous owner etc...
Clean and condition leather with a variety of products. I use woolite laundry soap dilluted 1:10 with distilled water to clean leather and condition it with whatever leather care I have. Duragloss, Pinnacle, Meguiar's etc..
Keeping your wheels shiney is a matter of getting them perfect and keeping them that way. Doesn't mean you always have to polish them. Clean and polish them ONCE, then put wax/sealant on them. Next time you wash your car, just use the soapy water and a soft brush and hit them with a spray wax on a clean cloth/microfiber.

You're on the right track. keep researching and go to youtube and let your brain flow. There's lots out there to learn from too.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
03-18-2009, 08:50 PM
You really need a machine polisher like porter cable, Flex DA with 2-4 orange, white, gray 5.5 inch pads. You need 2 polishes-1 with more cut and a finishing polish. You need some decent microfiber towels, a clay bar.
With the research you've done so far, you should be able to grow on that by learning efficient ways to utilize the tools and products to get all the swirls out of your paint. You've obviously got the passion and done some research because you already realize that the 2 bucket method is better than your current process. Improper washing/drying is what created the swirls whether it was you, the dealer, previous owner etc...
Clean and condition leather with a variety of products. I use woolite laundry soap dilluted 1:10 with distilled water to clean leather and condition it with whatever leather care I have. Duragloss, Pinnacle, Meguiar's etc..
Keeping your wheels shiney is a matter of getting them perfect and keeping them that way. Doesn't mean you always have to polish them. Clean and polish them ONCE, then put wax/sealant on them. Next time you wash your car, just use the soapy water and a soft brush and hit them with a spray wax on a clean cloth/microfiber.

You're on the right track. keep researching and go to youtube and let your brain flow. There's lots out there to learn from too.

+1 :D :goodpost:

killrflake
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I agree with dublifecrisis. He mentioned a solid list of the basic things that you would need to achieve the results you seem to be looking for. But be aware, this hobby is very addictive.

dublifecrisis
03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
yes very addictive. I went from getting a simple PC kit with Menzerna and have spent at least $1200 in the past year outside of that initial kit. I've made it all back by detailing on the side and now I have a nice collection of products. More importantly I've learned so much. It' so addicting I'll do neighbors cars for free.

RaskyR1
03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Dub pretty much summed it up. I would stop having that place wash it for you too. Keep in mind they are using the same mitts and towels car after car and they are likely filled with particles that will scratch and marr your finish. If you can't wash it yourself maybe bring them your own mitt, towels, and soap to use.

I read and it says try "m105/205"..... and I have no clue what this means LOL!!!

M105 and M205 are Meguiars lates compound and finishing polish. They are very good and work awesome with both DA and rotary polishers. Autogeek also carries a lot of other very good polishes too.

Given the size of your vehicle working by hand is out of the question IMO. If money is not really an object I would seggest getting the Flex 3401 polisher. If cost is an issue I'd go with the PC. Lots of well know detailers have been getting amazing results using the PC with M105/M205 and the Kevin Brown Method (KBM).

Rasky

EddieNunez8620
03-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the great reply guys.... well Im definitely getting the equipment might go with the flex 3401.

in terms of products...

can i continue with what i have?