PDA

View Full Version : Expert Advice

padwan
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi, I'm brand new to detailing.
I'm trying to figure out what tool and pad combo would be best to get swirls and some holograms out. I don't want a rotary, not for first time use. I know i should get the flex, but I have some other correcting to do. My windshield has some wiper marks on it. I want to use the lake country glass polishing kit to fix it. I don't think that kit will work with a flex. I wish I could afford both machines but I can't... So I'm thinking about the wolfgang PC kit.

From what I've read, I think I need to get 4 inch pads for the PC. Will the smaller pads (faster rotation) cause burning? I was thinking of getting the orange and white ones in the 4 inch size.

I am willing to get a flex if someone can tell me how to fix the glass without a PC.

I've attached pics of the swirling. The quality might not be too good. I couldn't get a good shot of the wiper tracks.

Oh, I have a few deep scratches in the paint too. Should I correct those before starting a detail?

Thanks in advance!

~padwan~

....yea, I know it needs a wash and some clay

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P1.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P2.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/P3.jpg

Matt S.
03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
A PC isn't going to fix your glass. Too much pressure is required for it to work effectively IMO.

I say get the Flex, with some yellow and gray pads with Meguiar's #105 and #205 to fix your paint. If you have a decent drill, you can use that on the glass.

RaskyR1
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with Matt.

Looks like somone has already taken a rotary to your paint. ;)

D
03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I would get 4" and 5.5" pads in orange, white, gray, blue, and red if you want to apply LSP's with your PC. I would also pick up some M205 and M105 as people have been getting good results with those products using the Kevin Brown method.

blk45
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
From what I've read, I think I need to get 4 inch pads for the PC. Will the smaller pads (faster rotation) cause burning? I was thinking of getting the orange and white ones in the 4 inch size.

The 4" pads will be more effective at correcting, because they will focus the energy on a smaller area. They don't bog the PC down as much either. The trade off, is that yes, they will enable you to burn the paint more easily. Don't let this scare you though. It's still not easy to burn the paint unless you are being careless. As long as you pay attention, you will be fine with the smaller pads. Just be extra cautious around plastic bumpers and edges.

I would get 4" and 5.5" pads in orange, white, gray, blue, and red if you want to apply LSP's with your PC. I would also pick up some M205 and M105 as people have been getting good results with those products using the Kevin Brown method.

:whs: At a minimum, orange, white & blue pads. I don't like orange pads for the rotary, but they work well with the PC. 105 & 205 are quickly becoming the go to combo and for good reason too. Great products.

padwan
03-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank you to everyone that has responded so far!

GREAT TIP on the Kevin Brown Method!!!! Will have to do more reading...

AeroCleanse
03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I agree with Matt.

Looks like somone has already taken a rotary to your paint. ;)

And not done a very good job with the rotary. Its not like its hard to use once you get the basics down.