PDA

View Full Version : Qd?

Bags
08-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I have never done a QD so I have a few questions. I hve DG fast clean and shine and DG aqua wax.... The car was washed and waxed with Gold Class last saturday. I only drive 3 miles to work each day one way 6 miles total. I have little dust streaks where the early morning dew has dried I also have some paw prints in the hood and roof (but thats another post). On the way home today I hit a small drizzle but not enough water to run off the car, more like a mist. Can I use the FC&s for a QD and then hit it with the AW? Or only use the AW after a full wash? Also for QD should I use a plush polish MF or a general duty 16X16 MF? Will I have to use more polishing MF's for the AW?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions..

Bags

abrcrombe
08-24-2006, 07:58 PM
If I were you I would rewash the whole car. Driving it has probably accumulated some dirt, and if you just QD it, it could possibly create some scratches or swirls. For QD I like using a plush MF, but it is personal preference. Good luck!

Bags
08-24-2006, 08:06 PM
OK so QD everyday or every other day?

Larry A
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Qd after every wash, or every second or third day. AW every 3 to 4 weeks. Use your Gold Class every 2 to 3 months . This will keep your car pristine.

belcherm58
08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I really like Poorboys Spray & Wipe. It is actually and waterless cleaner and
has more lubricty than most QD's. I used Meguairs Last Touch for and while
and still use it on a really clean car. The Spray & Wipe is the ticket for mildly
dirty cars. You really want a plush towel when Qd'ing as noted above. Even
then you must be carefull. I polished my truck out and now really see when
something mars the paint. I was suprised by how easy it is to micro-mar the
paint.

supercharged
08-24-2006, 09:38 PM
I would wax a little more often. Once every 4 weeks works the best.
Remember, you don't want to wait until your wax to be completely gone before rewaxing. Use the wax you like (I would suggest you give DP Max Wax a try - goes on and off like butter), and it sholdn't take long to rewax - average 15 minutes.

A synthetic wax of a selant will last 7-8 weeks though.

Hope this helps.

emaxxman
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Personally, I never QD the hood, roof, or trunk if I've driven the car. The amount of dust or particles that have accumulated on them (even after short drive) is way too much for me to feel safe.

I use a QD only to remove water spots that I may not have dried completely after a wash. I will also use a QD to clean up pollen dust after a rain (driveway is near neighbor's tree) if I have NOT driven the car after a wash.

Gold Class wax is notorious for not lasting more than 2 weeks or so. I've used NXT. IMHO, it needs to be reapplied after no more than 4 weeks to maintain it's gloss and slickness. I have a bottle of Poorboy's EXP sealant and DP's new sealant. They should last 2-3 months. I also plan on topping with Optimum spray wax (OCW) after each wash. I just used it for the first time 2 days ago. Very quick and easy; have to see how it performs.

Sevenrd
08-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Personally, I never QD the hood, roof, or trunk if I've driven the car. The amount of dust or particles that have accumulated on them (even after short drive) is way too much for me to feel safe.
Same here. The only time I use QD (presently FK425) is right after washing. After that I don't touch the paint until the next weekly wash. Fortunately I haven't had any bird bombs between washings. If I did, I suppose I'd just use QD on that area and very gently remove it with an MF.

FloridaNative
08-25-2006, 12:08 AM
I think Belcherm really hit it on the head. If you must QD for dust, then use the Poorboy's Spray and Wipe with a plush MF, if it's a QD without dust like after washing then your DG should be just fine. I would only apply wax to a car that has been washed and dried.

Bags
08-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the response.....Learn something new every day.

Al-53
08-25-2006, 07:31 AM
The FC&S is fine for removing dust and lite road grime..it is formulated to do so...my truck gets covered in dust from construcion work at my work and I clean it with FC&S and no marring...also clean rain grime if not real gritty

from the site..

Is formulated to remove dust and light soil from painted surfaces without scratching or removing durable polishes. Actually bonds with the polish for added gloss and durability..

most QD's leave a skim coat on the paint that will wash off ..The FC&S will add a little sealant also to add protection and adhere to paint..plus clean ..

Al

snomon1017
08-25-2006, 08:12 AM
I have a 2003 Cobra that is a retired Ford expo show car. I rarely drive it but when I do, I only clean it with a QD. The car has actually only been wet once in its life (wash: top and bottom). As long as you use lots of product and a good, plushy MF (several actually), then I wouldn't worry much about swirles. I can guarantee you that, even with a microscope, you will not find a single swirl mark on my Cobra.

FYI, I religiously use Pinnacle CM. I love it so much, I really haven't tried many other QD's.

Bags
08-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks again everyone. Interesting concept snomon1017.