PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning paint in door "bay"

kovalchuk71
03-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey guys I was wondering how you guys clean the paint in the "door bay" of the car? I dont know how to explain it, but the area that is exposed when you open the doors. Do you wash it and polish/wax like the rest of the car, or do you just wipe it down and then detail?

OGauge4Me
03-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Hey guys I was wondering how you guys clean the paint in the "door bay" of the car? I dont know how to explain it, but the area that is exposed when you open the doors. Do you wash it and polish/wax like the rest of the car, or do you just wipe it down and then detail?

I usually refer to the area as the door jambs. I usually wipe that area down when I have finished drying the car. I also use the same sealant that I use on the car after I finish the outside body.

I also do the inside of the door to include the hinges and the exposed inner fender when the front doors are open.

I also use 303 on the weather-stripping and the door water seals. I also clean behind the door weather seals.

This process of cleaning every time I wash the car only takes an extra 10 minutes or so. Once you start to clean this area every time you wash the car it makes it a lot easier as you go along.

I also wipe down the interior of the trunk and under the hood every wash as well. Usually GM did not apply clear coat to the inside of the trunk and hood so the paint is a little dull.

D
03-10-2009, 09:57 AM
You can use ONR or a degreaser.

Jimmie
03-10-2009, 10:13 AM
You can use ONR or a degreaser.

:iagree: and then I use DP Spray Sealant or Aquawax.

kovalchuk71
03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
OK, so you dont try to wash it with soap or anything of the sort? And dont use typical wax? Use a sealant of some sort then some durable wax to finish off? Im trying to put your posts together :buffing:

Chris

akimel
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
This process of cleaning every time I wash the car only takes an extra 10 minutes or so. Once you start to clean this area every time you wash the car it makes it a lot easier as you go along.

This is great advice and has been confirmed in my limited detailing experience. If you wipe down the jambs every wash, they just don't become a problem.

Last summer I got the Meguiar's clay kit, which comes with a small bottle of Cleaner Wax. I was wondering what to do with it, until I read a tip from Mike Phillips to use the stuff on the door and trunk jambs. So that's what I have been doing on our two cars.

After using ONR throughout this winter, I was thinking precisely about continuing to use it on the door and trunk jambs even after I return to ordinary car wash in the spring. I thought I'd make up a solution, at appropriate dilution, in a spray bottle--spray it on and wipe it off.

ScottB
03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
you can indeed polish and protect these areas. I find Klasse AIO to be great in these areas and a little spray detail product uponing drying the area after each wash.

Jimmie
03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
OK, so you dont try to wash it with soap or anything of the sort? And dont use typical wax? Use a sealant of some sort then some durable wax to finish off? Im trying to put your posts together :buffing:

Chris

If the areas are dirty they need to be cleaned. I just prefer a rinseless or a waterless wash like ONR or PB S&W. After they are clean I protect with a spray sealant. You could also use a typical wax.

Rsurfer
03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
In hard to reach areas such as door hinges and trunk hinges I just use Aqua Wax. No need to wipe off as it will dry with a shine. This is assuming that everything is clean. On door jams and under the hood and truck lid I do wipe off after a spray of AW.