PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding? Or....Not

Pages : [1] 2

CakeDaddy
03-07-2009, 11:07 AM
video 1
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmzrrNi2Yk&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=73CE031571DA0E52&playnext=1&index=4]YouTube - Wet Sanding 101 - Part 1[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFNDIdCS3Q&feature=related]YouTube - Wet Sanding 101 - Part 2[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYH-TMwJ6q0&feature=related]YouTube - Wet Sanding 101 - Conclusion[/video]

This young man has 3 videos on wet sanding (Biginning, Part 2 & Conclusion. Videos posted above. I believe he is a member here and he seems to be pretty detailed in his demo, but when do you wet sand? I watched his 3 videos and I was curious to know why not just compound and polish the small scratch in his vette. I'm actually a little facinated(sp) by the whole wet sand process and would like to hear what you good folks here thought. I search for a wet sand thread here, but nothing.

Emile
03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
In his first video he says that he tried compounding but he was not able to remove the scratches. Wet sanding is supposed to be pretty aggressive so if you don't have to do it, then don't.

D
03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
You know when to wet sand from experience. You'll be able to look at the scratch and tell whether just compounding will remove it, or if it'll need to be wet sanded. Paint hardness plays a big role in it also. Keep in mind the majority of the UV protection is in the top part of the clear (0.3 mils or 8 microns).

bige441
03-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Any way you do it your still taking the same amount of material off. As long as you don't go crazy with the buffer all over the panel prior to wet sanding.

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Any way you do it your still taking the same amount of material off. As long as you don't go crazy with the buffer all over the panel prior to wet sanding.

So if I wetsand the paint then compound it and polish I am taking the same amount off as if I just corrected with compound and polish. Thanks for the info.

Old Pirate
03-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Is that Leroy Brown?..............:D

Harleyguy
03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown, hey at least his video looked good

Old Pirate
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Maybe it's his brother........:D

julian
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
So if I wetsand the paint then compound it and polish I am taking the same amount off as if I just corrected with compound and polish. Thanks for the info.

If you stop either procedure when the scratch has disappeared, yes you took off the same amount.

If you buff out a decent size scratch, it will take a lot longer to do it, and you have to be careful of not getting the paint too hot while buffing. you could wrinkle and ruin the paint.

wet sanding could be akin to buffing in the stages it takes do it. Then you have to buff it in stages, to make it shine.

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-07-2009, 07:03 PM
If you stop either procedure when the scratch has disappeared, yes you took off the same amount.

If you buff out a decent size scratch, it will take a lot longer to do it, and you have to be careful of not getting the paint too hot while buffing. you could wrinkle and ruin the paint.

wet sanding could be akin to buffing in the stages it takes do it. Then you have to buff it in stages, to make it shine.

I appreciate the info, I have wet sanded over a 1000 custom paint jobs, so I have the paint correction procedure down. I was just trying to see how he came to this conclussion. Actually if you wet sand the scratch out then go back over it with compound and polish you would actually be taking more off if you just compound and polished the scratch if the scratch will come out that way. Reason being is that if you sand the scratch out you still have to remove sanding scratches which in turn takes more of the clear or paint off. If you can get away with just a compound and polish you stop there so how are you taking the same amount off, so it is not taking the same amount off.

CakeDaddy
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I appreciate the info, I have wet sanded over a 1000 custom paint jobs, so I have the paint correction procedure down. I was just trying to see how he came to this conclussion. Actually if you wet sand the scratch out then go back over it with compound and polish you would actually be taking more off if you just compound and polished the scratch if the scratch will come out that way.

yes... that was sort of my thinking as well.

bige441
03-07-2009, 11:20 PM
there is just some scratches that no matter how much you polish within reason that will not come out. A good rule of thumb is if you can catch your nail on the scratch you should start with wet sanding. It still isn't going to come out all the way but is going to darken up a whole lot. Polishing and sanding round out the edges of a scratch, which allows light to penatrate all the way to the color.

CakeDaddy
03-08-2009, 11:13 AM
there is just some scratches that no matter how much you polish within reason that will not come out. A good rule of thumb is if you can catch your nail on the scratch you should start with wet sanding. It still isn't going to come out all the way but is going to darken up a whole lot. Polishing and sanding round out the edges of a scratch, which allows light to penatrate all the way to the color.

Good rule. I have a friend who has a silver car and it has a palm sized bird crap etch in the trunk lid which isn't present to the touch. I mean if you run your hand across it you can not feel it, but it is visible to the eye. I’m considering using the wet sanding technique in order to release the etch from the car. My plan is to first clay the small area and then polish. I'm a firm believer in polishing before doing any serious cutting, but if all that fails I’m considering wet sanding. 2000 grit to be exact.

Craig
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
D&D Auto detailing. What do you mean by "Keep in mind the majority of the UV protection is in the top part of the clear (0.3 mils or 8 microns) ? I paint a little from time to time. I use PPG paints and clears. Is there something to spray on top of clear that adds more UV protection than the clear itself?

bige441
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
ya, its called a wax or sealant.:)
sorry couldn't help myself