PDA

View Full Version : QD vs Clay Lubricants

Lonewolf2007
03-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I am not sure that I understand how QD spray and Clay Lube are that much different.

Some QD says it can be used as a clay lube. Also DP 4 in 1 can be used as both depending on the mix.

Can you use a clay lube for a QD? :confused:

Dsoto87
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Theres a huge difference. All clay lubes can be used as a "Quick" detailer in that it will wipe away finger smudges, dust, etc, but not all QDs can be used as a clay lube.

Quick Detailer is a pretty broad term. Some QDs are used to not only clean up really light dirt but to also add gloss and slickness. Something like Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer can be used to wipe away dirt and add gloss and its own "protection" but its not reccomended as a clay lube.

As for your example, ONR can be used as a QD, and clay lube, but at the same time Optimum also offers their own QD. ONR@QD strength will clean the car but really wont offer much of its own look or slickness. Optimum Instant Detailer actually adds to the gloss and slickness.

ScottB
03-07-2009, 08:54 AM
you really gotta read the labels and product descriptions. Some quick detailers really are detail sprays or what I like to call qd'er+ type products. Kinda like gloss sprays or wax boosters, those likely are not best used for clay lube.

Lonewolf2007
03-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info, I was confused and this help put it more in perspective.