PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do this job right?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rat007
03-06-2009, 02:44 AM
I have a 2005 dodge ram, It has light scratches in it and has swirl marks. Could someone tell me or show me what I need. I wanna do it right. I have a brand new buffer with like a 6inch wheel and i have a air DA with a 4inch wheel. The truck has light overspray on it right now from just getting a rollpan put on the truck( not to happy about it) thank you for all the help.
here is some pics if that helps.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/waterat99/My%20Truck/edit1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/waterat99/My%20Truck/edit2.jpg

SPiN
03-06-2009, 07:53 AM
the magic of photoshop. The pictures look amazing. You could of came on here and told us you just spent 5 days non stop detailing your car and posted those pictures and i would of said WOW. I need someone to take pictures of my car like that.

Rat007
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Well its going to get the 5 days non stop here soon. Soon as I find out what I need to use to get it in show room finish.

Emile
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Porter Cable, white pads with Poorboy's SSR1. If that isn't aggressive enough, then orange pads with Poorboy's SSR2, then follow up with white pads and Poorboy's SSR1.

67Customs
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, pictures on the internet can be misleading.

Awesome truck you have there.

Yeah, the 6" wheel and 4" air "polishers" aren't going to serve a purpose for automotive paint correction. you will need to grab you a Porter Cable 7424, a velcro backing plate, some pads and some polishes to get the job done correctly.

Rat007
03-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Where would be the best place to buy this stuff at? thanks guys.

budman3
03-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Where would be the best place to buy this stuff at? thanks guys.

... scroll to the top of the page and click "Store" ... We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store (http://www.autogeek.net/)

Use coupon code AGO for free shipping over $95.

CakeDaddy
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Porter Cable, white pads with Poorboy's SSR1. If that isn't aggressive enough, then orange pads with Poorboy's SSR2, then follow up with white pads and Poorboy's SSR1.

what he said and then hit it with that Poor Boys Polish, EX-P Pure Sealant and then Poor Boys Natty Blue Paste wax. Grand total....$72

....and yes! Those picutres of the D-Ram are claen.

Rat007
03-08-2009, 02:25 PM
So hear me out.
Use the orange pad with ssr2 then white pad with ssr1 then poor boys polish then the ex p pure sealant then the natty blue paste wax?

CakeDaddy
03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
So hear me out.
Use the orange pad with ssr2 then white pad with ssr1 then poor boys polish then the ex p pure sealant then the natty blue paste wax?

yes.. the less abbrassive white pad first then the more abbrassive orange pad , but depending on the light scratches and swirls you mentioned..... you may be able to just polish them out and save yourself some time from compouding. I've done it with good polishing. Be patient with the polishing and make sure it breaks down until it looks greasy. :buffing:, but it sounds like your order is correct.

Compound
Polish
Sealant
Glaze (optional) Poors Boys Black Hole
Wax (Nattys Blue Paste)

please correct me if Im wrong someone

Rsurfer
03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
yes.. the more abbrassive pad first (orange) with ssr2 then the less abbrassive (white) with pink ssr1, but depending on the light scratches and swirls you mentioned..... you may be able to just polish them out and save yourself some time from compouding. I've done it with good polishing. Be patient with the polishing and make sure it breaks down until it looks greasy. :buffing:, but it sounds like your order is correct.

Compound
Polish
Sealant
Glaze (optional) Poors Boys Black Hole
Wax (Nattys Blue Paste)

please correct me if Im wrong someoneHate to disagree with you, but the least aggressive pad and polish first. Work the polish until it becomes transparent.

CakeDaddy
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Hate to disagree with you, but the least aggressive pad and polish first. Work the polish until it becomes transparent.

explain... I thought it was the more aggressive pad and ssr2 and then you work your way down to the less aggressive ssr1 with white pad.

Its almost like wet sanding... 2000grit then the 2500grit and finally the less aggressive 3000 grit. ????

Rat007
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM
What do you all mean by work the polish?

Rsurfer
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
explain... I thought it was the more aggressive pad and ssr2 and then you work your way down to the less aggressive ssr1 with white pad.

Its almost like wet sanding... 2000grit then the 2500grit and finally the less aggressive 3000 grit. ????
Unless you are a pro and detail daily, it would be difficult for the average weekend warrior to determine what pad and polish to use on that particular defect. So, you should always start with the least aggressive and if that isn't doing it then move up to a more aggressive combo. Likewise when wet sanding it's not always starting with 2000 when 2500 might do the job. It depends how deep the defect is. You are correct in working down if you started with ssr2 or ssr2.5 then you would work down to ssr1. And maybe even burnishing/jeweling the paint with ssr1 and a finishing pad.

Rsurfer
03-09-2009, 12:05 AM
What do you all mean by work the polish?
Many beginners don't work the polish long enough or even worse, work it to long. Most polishes will be creamey when first starting out. After the polish starts to break down it will look more translucent.