PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! tree sap

Pages : [1] 2

michaeljbird
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
im doing a job right now....i cant get these globs of pine tree sap off the hood of my customers car....anyone have a help for me ???

Craig
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
When you say "globs", you talking dime size or a little smaller? Myself,
I would take a plastic razor blade and scrape it off if it is large. Taking my time not to scratch the paint. If it's cold where you're working that wouldn't work because the sap will be hard. Try a little WD40, Goo Gone, some kind of solvent to disolve the sap. Keep in mind not to use anything that will disolve the clear coat or paint.

dublifecrisis
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
acid. spray it on, let it sit for about 10 seconds, rub it off good with a clean MF, then spray amonia to neutralize the acid and clean it off again after that. sounds sketchy but safe if done right.

try WD40, clay and such otherwise.

Jimmie
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Use "Stoner's Tarminator". Build a little dam around the blob with a MF. Spray the Tarminator on it. Let set a couple of minutes. Wipe off. Repeat if necessary. I've taken off really old hard blobs like this.

RZ Autodetailing
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I use a heat gun or blow dryer with a plastic razor blade, and follow that up with wd-40 or goo-gone with a m/f, keep repeating process. Then use a good lsp of your choice.

The Edge
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Take rubbing alcohol on a peice of foam and soak it good, it will come right off.

gewb
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
im doing a job right now....i cant get these globs of pine tree sap off the hood of my customers car....anyone have a help for me ???

Remove pine tree sap with...drum roll...pine tree sap.

YES! Use real turpentine - it will not harm the finish but it will remove the wax along with the tree sap. From Wikipedia:

"Turpentine (also called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine, wood turpentine, gum turpentine) is a fluid obtained by the distillation of resin obtained from trees, mainly pine trees."

Regards,
GEWB

RaskyR1
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
IPA works great for tree sap.

ScottB
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Poorboys BugSquash or Stoners Tarminator or 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover.

OGauge4Me
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
My neighbor has tree sap on his car that has dried as hard a cement. After doing some research here I just purchased some Poor Boys Bug Squash. Should be here in time for me to test out on his car this Saturday.

He is a new neighbor and I warned him about parking his Lexus under the pine tree.

This thread is very current for my needs. :righton:

michaeljbird
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen,,,,got it all off!!!

OGauge4Me
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen,,,,got it all off!!!

So what process did you use?

Ryan
03-04-2009, 10:35 PM
So what process did you use?

:whs:

michaeljbird
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I tried the bug squash and it wouldnt touch it. I tried clay and it wouldnt touch it.......goo gone worked like a charm..I didnt try the alchohol because the goo gone worked....I will try it next time. After removing the tree sap, i used zaino fusion to finish it off. then did a couple of coats of z-2 and z-6, topped it with pinnacle souveran,,,it turned out beautiful.

bunyz06rabbitt
03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
All threads should be this good! :cheers: