PDA

View Full Version : waterless car wash????

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Can you use on a fairly dirty car? (Example after a snow storm) Or is this just after a few sunny days and you want to clean up the paint again? I'm trying to figure out if this would be economical for detailing dealerships at my location where everything would be accessible. I have used some other products in the past and did not like it at all. Plus too you still have a bunch of dirty towels. Any suggestions? thanks

CharlesW
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe has been one of my most used products for about 6 years, maybe longer.
1. It is a great product.
2. I don't seem to have any more marring with it than with conventional washing.
3. I don't use it on vehicles with caked on dirt/mud. If they are extremely dirty, I take them to the DIY to wash off the heavy crud first.
4. Would I use it as a professional? Probably not at this time. Customers are not quite ready to embrace the waterless concept.
5. I think some professionals do use waterless products, but I don't know how successful they are.
6. The rinseless products give me a little less concern, but I still do a pre-wash to get the heavy crud off before using them.
7. If your facility lets you pressure wash as a pre-rinse, I think you would be fine.
Being in Iowa, the dirt accumulation is probably similar to what you experience in Illinois. I don't personally use either rinseless or waterless washes on extremely dirty vehicles. Some people do.

longdx
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
I was going to comment but "CharlesW" hit the nail on the head. PB's Spray and Wipe is a great product for mild to moderate washing. I find that I am using the waterless method more often and occasionally go to a coin-op to remove caked on mud, then finish with PB.

Emile
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Waterless Wash products typically work very well for me but if the car is even fairly dirty I end up going through way too many microfiber towels during one "waterless wash" session. And there's no way in hell I could get tires and wheel wells clean.

PaintPolisher
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I use NO Rinse wash & shine. This is not a waterless, it is a no rinse product.

One gallon of water and one ounce of ONR concentrate mixed together. I pre-spray panels if heavy dirt or in your case snow, slush debris. Sometimes I make two passes to remove all the debris before drying. All depends on how much nasty stuff in on the car.

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies you guy's!!!!! That helps clarify what works and when. Hopefully it will do so for someone else!!!!

Emile
03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Optimum No-Rinse is a great way to go for pro detailers. It's economical, uses very little water, uses very few towels, and it's very fast and effective.

Scooter89
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
hey smooth, i live in woodridge as well and ive never seen your truck around. i was washing the truck today and wondered too about this waterless wash. i washed it teh other day and today thought about a way to wash without re-wetting it again. but yeah. what area of woodridge you live in? im by 75th and janes.

Jimmie
03-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Waterless Wash products typically work very well for me but if the car is even fairly dirty I end up going through way too many microfiber towels during one "waterless wash" session. And there's no way in hell I could get tires and wheel wells clean.
:whs: I have used it on fairly dirty cars. It's a pain in this scenario because I use way too much product (for peace of mind), and go through way too many MF's. Even if you quarter your towel you only get one swipe per each side of the towel if dirty. Then each area takes two + swipes to get clean. It wound up being a very expensive way to clean a dirty car.
One not so dirty, great way to do it.

img
03-05-2009, 10:01 PM
DP 4-in-1 Rinseless--oops, I forgot

elk42
03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
ONR is a great product!! Did i mention that ONR is a great product?

SMOOTHFINISH10
03-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Elk or anyone else that can answer this question. How much time would you save on average by cleaning with optimum or similar v.s. traditional washing?

Showroom Shine
03-10-2009, 06:16 AM
I think the main purpose of ONR was to save water, not time. I do believe that it can save time once you get familiar with it's use. It is a very convenient product. Especially for garage washes,winter washes,no water supply places,etc. Also there is very little if any run off using ONR!

elk42
03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Elk or anyone else that can answer this question. How much time would you save on average by cleaning with optimum or similar v.s. traditional washing?
it saves time but i still think regular hose washes are important. i look at ONR as a quick "detail" wash and a winter wash but a very good wash. once the weather permits, i will definitley go back to hose washing. its expensive to only wash this way IMHO. I wish Autogeek (ahem) would put the gallons on sale for cheaper than they are now. (ahem).. :cheers: