PDA

View Full Version : my latest project

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

redboost10
03-04-2009, 02:12 AM
long story short, so the rules for the class that i race in allow for the removal of one headlight for a turbo inlet. usually everyone just takes the complete headlight out and the car looks very incomplete or like trash. very few make a nice aluminum box for a headlight.

i wanted to be different, i got together with a good family friend and decided to make it out of carbon fiber and adapt it to the actual headlight housing.

i am not sure who has any experience with this, but for me, i only had limited work with bondo and fiberglass and thats it.

so i started out with a huge sheet 4' x 8' of styrofoam from home depot to make the "plug". then used fiberglass to make the actual mold.

this weekend i will then lay the carbon fiber in the mold and vacuum pack/oven cure it. so im not totally finished beings there is a lot of steps between the plug and mold, including sanind the plug, wet sanding the plug, glazing it, polishing it, waxing it, spraying it with pba and then gel coat. i polished it 3m compound which i cant remember which one then used 3m perfect it II after the first compound. the wax was a mold release wax.

here are some pictures of us carving the plug outta the foam. this took about 8 hours.

redboost10
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
here is when we glassed the styrofoam

the last picture is the glassed styrofoam with some bondo to get a smooth surface...which there is more to come to get a smoother surface.

Harleyguy
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Very cool ,Will have to send some pics to you when we finish our 240z engine swap .

Ryan
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I've seen a similar set up on a supra. Your fab work look's great.

Post a full engine shot, that snail looks huge

redboost10
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Harleyguy, that sounds awesome! what's it going in?

Thank you Ryan, I will have some pictures of yesterday's progress up later today hopefully. I got one side of the mold done. just need to finish the other side then lay the carbon fiber and vacuum pack/oven cure it. I dont have a full engine bay shot, but here are a few random pictures. The turbo is a s372 with the race cover from bullseye turbo/borg warner. sorry the bay is kinda filthy in these pictures. i have detailed it since then when i was doing the exterior of the car.

last year we built the engine harness from scratch, so at the beginning of this year we ended up building the cabin/chassis harness from scratch as well, which allowed us to get rid of the 2 fuse boxes and the fuse panel that was in the car.

Ryan
03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
B16 or B18? You got one hell of a build right there. Looks like it's in an EK9, hatchback or coupe

redboost10
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM
yeah its a ek9, 97 hatch. gsr block with 84mm golden eagle sleeves with portflow b16a2 head and oversized valves. im stuck on the 1.6L head, haha.

Harleyguy
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Harleyguy, that sounds awesome! what's it going in?

Thank you Ryan, I will have some pictures of yesterday's progress up later today hopefully. I got one side of the mold done. just need to finish the other side then lay the carbon fiber and vacuum pack/oven cure it. I dont have a full engine bay shot, but here are a few random pictures. The turbo is a s372 with the race cover from bullseye turbo/borg warner. sorry the bay is kinda filthy in these pictures. i have detailed it since then when i was doing the exterior of the car.

last year we built the engine harness from scratch, so at the beginning of this year we ended up building the cabin/chassis harness from scratch as well, which allowed us to get rid of the 2 fuse boxes and the fuse panel that was in the car.Older nissan skyline motor and turbo

redboost10
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
that will be a fun ride. what size are those turbos? how is the rear end in those 240z's?

Harleyguy
03-04-2009, 03:02 PM
that will be a fun ride. what size are those turbos? how is the rear end in those 240z's?Not sure the size of the turbo we swaped out a rear from an infinti i30 Car was running awesome did some pulls on the dyno blew a piston looks like it leaned out some .Will look if the piston is still here.Car belongs too one of my techs no room here to rebuild so we towed it too a freinds shop.Will take some pics when it's back here again

redboost10
03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah i want to see some pictures. anything unoriginal is cool, unless its a muscle car, haha.

Ryan
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Be sure to post up the finished turbo inlet when your done man, curious to see how it looks after be CF wrapped. Nice job :applause:

redboost10
03-04-2009, 07:59 PM
yeah i will for sure. thank you. just waiting for pictures to be emailed to me of the one side of the mold. going back this saturday to finish the other side of the mold then finish up the actual cf duct.

redboost10
03-06-2009, 10:32 PM
here are some more pictures.

1st pic: sprayed with polyester primer
2nd pic: you can see the orange spots where we had to fill some small pin holes with glaze so they wouldnt show up on our mold
3rd pic: the plug after two steps of polishing and some wax. i never new primer could be so shiny
4th pic: we have to make two molds so we positioned our plug according to where we want out break point, stacked styrofoam on the sides half way up the plug and made a paper template first
5th pic: traced the template on some malonie board and cut it out, then put another two layers of wax. also you can see down in the crevices of the flange where it slides over the plug there is clay which is to keep the resin from going through and ruining the inside surface which will eventually be the surface of the actual cf

redboost10
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
the orange stuff is gel coat. before the gel coat, we had to spray it with pba which dries as a film and serves as like cerran wrap so the mold releases from the flange. after this got to where it is just tacky but not wet we then had to lay down fiberglass matt, then cloth and repeat that 8 times.

the last picture here is the completed mold for that particular side. i am going back tomorrow to repeat the fiberglass matt and cloth steps on the other side then we will lay down the cf.