PDA

View Full Version : Car wash

Pages : [1] 2

sparkie
08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
This is how I wash a car. If you want to add anything, do it. We are here to learn, at least I am. I’m just a novice that loves detailing cars. I’m not going to tell you which product to use, just make sure it’s a name brand products. Don’t go out there buying Sam Choice car wash or some L-cheap-O product. This is your baby, now take care of it. I use the three bucket approach, one bucket for wheels and tires. Two bucket for the rest of the car. Try to wash your car in the shade and on a slight slope.

The equipment you need for wheels and tires are a bucket, tire and wheel brush, tooth brush, APC, Dawn. First, Rinse fenderwells and tires completely before spraying APC on to the tires, wheels, under the fenderwells. Dip your tire brush in your bucket of water and dawn and scrub the fenderwells and tires. Then take your wheel brush or mitt, rag and clean the wheels. Repeat as needed. For them hard to reach places use a toothbrush. One more thing, the power puff is a outstanding tool, thank to G35stilez on DC.org
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Carwash001.jpg

Go ahead a make up your bucket of water and a bucket of soap and water.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Carwash002.jpg

Next start rinsing with a good flow of water on the roof. Work your way down to the hood, front end, down the side, back end and the other side. Good flowing water helps getting off grit and debris. Then spray bug and tar remover on the front end front glass and mirrors.
Get you wash mitt, and dip it. Start washing in a straight, back and forth motion. Go with the air flow. Don’t use a circular motion, this will cause spider webbing on the paint.
Roof, windows, hood, wash with mitt, and use a paintbrush to rich in the grooves around the windows and wipers. Rinse mitt in bucket of water and leave mitt in there. Get your bug mitt and do mirrors, windshield, front end. Rinse the soap and water off. Take your mitt out of water and dip in other bucket of soap and wash the truck and top haft of sides. Get your other mitt and wash bottom of side. Rinse soap off.

Drying time!
I use two waffle weave microfiber drying towels to dry. Start with the windows, roof, windows again and work your way down. I have an old towel to dry off wheel last. You can use a blowing side of wet/dry vacuum to dry grooves.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Carwash004.jpg

Some people use a QD when drying, I do if its not a full detail.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Carwash005.jpg
Dress your tires and trim and your done!

ScottB
08-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I'll give you a hint with bug remover, purchase the Bug Squash from Poorboys and a nice squirt to your soapy water. Works well at removing bugs, dirt, and even tar in one step.

Surfer
08-23-2006, 06:38 PM
You should use the blower to also dry the car, not only grooves. I have a Mountaineer (same as Explorer like your doing) and you pry know all the grooves and everything like the rubber seals along the windows that love to hold water and drip and drip well after you've dried. I use the blower on the whole car and never really have to use a towel to dry, generally there are very tiny water beads left and I just go to work with a QD'er.

I don't even remember the last time I specifcally used a waffle weave or other micro to dry the truck. Less touch equals less chance of marring, plus less waterspots, in FL you could dry as fast as you want wit ha towel but the sun will cause waterspots quickly lol.

aceshigh73
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Sparkie...

Glad you posted this because I was just about to post asking if people washed their wheels first.... I find if dont and wait until the end, then the car starts to dry too much by the time Im done.. especially if the wheels have Brake Dust, etc on them.....
My new Order of Operations will be Wheels & tires/Roof/Hood(rest of car)/Dry Car/Dry Wheels

supercharged
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I wash a car, then rinse it. Wash wheels, rinse them. Dry car, dry wheels, dry door jambs.

Kelso
08-23-2006, 09:29 PM
ummmm i think i see dish soap?
and to answer the question i leave my wheels for last because i dont believe in the 2 bucket method and my brakes dust a lot on my wheels... i usually attack either the front end or the roof and windows first, or if its sunny i start with the shaded part of the car and rinse it so it wont spot up

D
08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I wash my car in sections and do the wheels last. First I rinse down the whole car, then I rinse the windows and roof, wash and dry those. Then I move onto the side doing one side at a time, etc. etc... Never using dish soap. I dry using a Guzzler and electric blower. The less the water sits on the car the better, so I get it done as fast as I can. Hopefully my new inline filter will help me out with water spots, so I dont have to rush as much.

sparkie
08-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Bug Squash is what I use, best stuff I ever use, even old bugs melt right off. The dish soap is for wheels, tires and under the fenders only. I have a bucket and wash mitt just for that.

FloridaNative
08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I'll give you a hint with bug remover, purchase the Bug Squash from Poorboys and a nice squirt to your soapy water. Works well at removing bugs, dirt, and even tar in one step.

:iagree: I love Bug Squash. I put some in my foam gun canister when I do my pre-soak if the car is really dirty.

Sparkie, I have to make one suggestion. Next time you place an order pick up the DP gel wheel cleaner. That stuff is the bomb!! You just spray it on agitate a very little bit with a soft bristled wheel face brush and rinse with water and that's it!! It gets even super dirty wheels clean, no need to repeat. I used it on my car recently and when I dried my wheels with a MF afterwards and there was not a single dirt smudge to be found ANYWHERE on the towel. Not only does it clean the wheels really good, it makes them look brighter/shinier. Can you tell I love this stuff?? lol

I always start with my wheels too. :)

sparkie
08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Here a pic I forgot to post, the paint brush with tape around it.http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/Carwash003.jpg

sparkie
08-24-2006, 08:36 AM
:iagree: I love Bug Squash. I put some in my foam gun canister when I do my pre-soak if the car is really dirty.

Sparkie, I have to make one suggestion. Next time you place an order pick up the DP gel wheel cleaner. That stuff is the bomb!! You just spray it on agitate a very little bit with a soft bristled wheel face brush and rinse with water and that's it!! It gets even super dirty wheels clean, no need to repeat. I used it on my car recently and when I dried my wheels with a MF afterwards and there was not a single dirt smudge to be found ANYWHERE on the towel. Not only does it clean the wheels really good, it makes them look brighter/shinier. Can you tell I love this stuff?? lol

I always start with my wheels too. :)

I been looking at that foam gun. DP gel wheel cleaner, so its that good. How about break dust? And can someone resize the pics, I'm a dummy when it come to PC stuff!

JoeD
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Just something too remember. Quote "You can use a blowing side of wet/dry vacuum to dry grooves" Make sure that the hose is very clean when doing this. Sometimes dirt and dust can build up in the hose and cause some serious damage to the paint and glass.

FloridaNative
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I been looking at that foam gun. DP gel wheel cleaner, so its that good. How about break dust? And can someone resize the pics, I'm a dummy when it come to PC stuff!

I used the 3 bucket method for a long time before I got my foam gun. I thought, do I really need this thing?? Now i have one and I can honestly tell you I would never wash without it. You can do so much more with it. Like your pre-soak, where you can entirely coat the car in foam and loosen up the dirt before your wash mitt ever touches the paint. It makes targeting the wheel wells a snap and you can use chemicals in the canister as well so if you're applying your APC to the wheel wells you could use the foam gun for a precise application. I've even used my foam gun to water the grass and wash the windows of my house.lol

As for the DP gel wheel cleaner, it makes quick work of anything you've got on your wheels. I was amazed at how good it cleaned. I figured that it would be good, but I have to admit that I didn't expect it to perform as well as it did. I was very pleasantly surpised. :)

3Dog
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Just something too remember. Quote "You can use a blowing side of wet/dry vacuum to dry grooves" Make sure that the hose is very clean when doing this. Sometimes dirt and dust can build up in the hose and cause some serious damage to the paint and glass.
That kinda my thoughts on using wet/dry vacs. Most of the newer ones even have a filter for the exhaust (which would be the blower) because of the debris that will be blown out. Of course you will remove that filter to blow..seems risky to me. I did finally give in to the leaf blower method. But mine is dedicated to just that job and it has an Air Wand attached to it.
By the way I use a 5 bucket method along with the foam gun.

FloridaNative
08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
That kinda my thoughts on using wet/dry vacs. Most of the newer ones even have a filter for the exhaust (which would be the blower) because of the debris that will be blown out. Of course you will remove that filter to blow..seems risky to me. I did finally give in to the leaf blower method. But mine is dedicated to just that job and it has an Air Wand attached to it.
By the way I use a 5 bucket method along with the foam gun.

Yeah I agree with you! I think for a wet/dry vac, it's best to have an extra hose that is dedicated just for blow drying. :) 5 buckets?? Are you related to Neothin by any chance??