PDA

View Full Version : Secrets for maintaining black front bumper

Pages : [1] 2

AudiTTman
03-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Do any of you guys happen to have any good ways of masking up your front ends on darker colored cars. My front bumper is swarmed with bug chips and tiny little pits that i believe are from interstate driving. Of course, it looks great at 5:30 in the afternoon when it gets to dusk, but when the halogen lights are turned on, its a whole different front end.

The reason this got me started was because i was going back into my car from school and noticed that sun directly hitting the front of the car. I was a little disappointed that the rest of the car looked great, but the front looked like i had just been through WWIII.

loudog2
03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
There is really nothing you can do. You can repaint, and get a clear bra installed. I have a clear bra on my bumper and next to the grill. I'm not a fan of it on the hood. You can't even tell I have it on the bumper.

AudiTTman
03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
i guess its just part of the wear-and-tear game a car goes through over the years. Of course, its an everyday driver, so in some respect, its not going to be perfect lol. Im OCD with the front bumper, i need some meds lol

Dsoto87
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
My front bumper and the very front of my hood is horrible. Besides doing a lot of freeway driving, I drive an infiniti which is known to chip easily. But my car is a shade of grey and the primer is grey so it really isnt all that noticeable unless you go up to it and inspect it. The next car I buy will get a clear bra install on the headlights and front bumper for sure.

loudog2
03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
My front bumper and the very front of my hood is horrible. Besides doing a lot of freeway driving, I drive an infiniti which is known to chip easily. But my car is a shade of grey and the primer is grey so it really isnt all that noticeable unless you go up to it and inspect it. The next car I buy will get a clear bra install on the headlights and front bumper for sure.
That is why I got the clear bra on the bumper. I also have a 2008 Infiniti G35X in platinum graphite. The paint I hear chips easy.

redboost10
03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
i mentioned that clear bra in one of harley guys thread about bras. i think they come as an option on most newer cars??

Dsoto87
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I also have a 2008 Infiniti G35X in platinum graphite. The paint I hear chips easy
Yea I have an 04 in diamond graphite and the paint chipping is just horrible. I want to get the hood and bumper resprayed but Im worried about matching. Like I said though, Im lucky the primers is grey so its not really all that bad. When I was looking at buying one, ofcourse in black, but those just looked trashed. When viewing all the different angles of the car in pictures, everything looked good until I got to the front.

When I first got mine the chipping wasnt all that bad, but since I do a lot of freeway driving where theres a ton of loose gravel from previous construction, it got a lot worse in a very short amount of time.

loudog2
03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Yea I have an 04 in diamond graphite and the paint chipping is just horrible. I want to get the hood and bumper resprayed but Im worried about matching. Like I said though, Im lucky the primers is grey so its not really all that bad. When I was looking at buying one, ofcourse in black, but those just looked trashed. When viewing all the different angles of the car in pictures, everything looked good until I got to the front.

When I first got mine the chipping wasnt all that bad, but since I do a lot of freeway driving where theres a ton of loose gravel from previous construction, it got a lot worse in a very short amount of time.
I'm waiting to hear a verdict on that new self healing paint. I hear it is a pain to detail. I don't know if it is more chip resistant.

Harleyguy
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
My front bumper and the very front of my hood is horrible. Besides doing a lot of freeway driving, I drive an infiniti which is known to chip easily. But my car is a shade of grey and the primer is grey so it really isnt all that noticeable unless you go up to it and inspect it. The next car I buy will get a clear bra install on the headlights and front bumper for sure.What year infinti.I lease a new infinti every year or so depending what my dealer has a special for.My wifes ex35 has no road chips at all infinti change there paint process .Had a g35 coupe for 18 months that was also prefect.Before that was an i30 that was hell for sure.All driving for all the cars has been the same.

Dsoto87
03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Its an 04 so I'm sure its the same paint on that I30. That's good to hear they changed the paint. I have no complaints about this car but the paint. I wouldn't mind a new fx45. Best looking suv ever.

loudog2
03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Its an 04 so I'm sure its the same paint on that I30. That's good to hear they changed the paint. I have no complaints about this car but the paint. I wouldn't mind a new fx45. Best looking suv ever.
That would be the FX50 now. I'm waiting to see what the M50XS is going to look like.

Ryan
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
It used to bother me to no end having semi's kick up loose gravel pieces and here them ping my bumper, hood, an windshield on I-95. With a DD, you just have to allow for some normal wear and tear. Leaving the dealership without a clear bra installed has been my only regret.

Harleyguy
03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
It used to bother me to no end having semi's kick up loose gravel pieces and here them ping my bumper, hood, an windshield on I-95. With a DD, you just have to allow for some normal wear and tear. Leaving the dealership without a clear bra installed has been my only regret.I've read some many pros and cons on the clear bras,besides then being very expensive to have installed also.

loudog2
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I've read some many pros and cons on the clear bras,besides then being very expensive to have installed also.
$200 for the clear bra on bumper:D. $500 to re-paint bumper:eek:

Harleyguy
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
$200 for the clear bra on bumper:D. $500 to re-paint bumper:eek:Maybe i'm so use too hearing what the sublet guys charge us on our high end model cars.