PDA

View Full Version : Gunk from wheel balance

calhoun1
02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
What do you guys recommend for getting the gunk off my wheels from the shop pulling off the old tire weights?

Would goo gone work? It really annoys me that places just leave that crap on the wheel when they take off the old weights.

Would goo gone work? Or what else should I use?

Thanks.

OGauge4Me
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
You can try a clay bar but most of the time it is a reaction from the wheel weight and the wheel. Some people have had sucess with using 0000 steel wool.

Are your wheels clear coated?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
No need to use steel wool. You can use a plastic razor blade or some acetone, then go back over it with a protectant.

orionz06
03-01-2009, 12:58 AM
What do you guys recommend for getting the gunk off my wheels from the shop pulling off the old tire weights?

Would goo gone work? It really annoys me that places just leave that crap on the wheel when they take off the old weights.

Would goo gone work? Or what else should I use?

Thanks.

brake cleaner spray, iso alcohol... its just foam tape...

if they were to remove the gunk, a quick tire change would take forever... and 99% of people dont care (coming from a former tire buster)

ScottB
03-01-2009, 07:12 AM
I saturate with 3M Wax and Ashesive Remover for a couple minutes and use one of those plastic spackle brushes from paint store.

calhoun1
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a beast to get off.

Now I just gotta wait for a day without rain.