PDA

View Full Version : Ready for my first detail

anolin
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Also posted at the PB message board, but nobody's home...

---

Here is my plan for my first full detail on a 7 week old BMW, Sapphire Grey Metallic:

1. wash (Megs GC, DP Extreme or SS&S in foam gun)
2. clay (Pinnacle UltraPoly; lube with 50% diluted S&W)
3. dry
4. polish (ProPolish; PC with Edge 2000 finishing pad - no cut)
5. sealant (EX-P by hand with MF applicator sponge)
6. repeat sealant
7. wax (Natty's Blue by hand with a foam applicator)

here are my questions..
a. By using the diluted S&W for clay lube, can I just slowly wipe dry the vehicle using a quality MF drying towel? or should I re-wash and fully dry before polish?

b. Can I skip the polish step with new, pristine paint?

c. How many layers of EX-P do you recommend, If I only plan to do a full detail twice a year - Spring and Fall? FYI I live in Denver.

-------

For my weekly, between details washes, can I spray and wipe QW+ to a freshly washed car during the drying process, or should I fully dry the vehicle first?

1. wash
2. dry
3. QW+

or can I skip step 2?

Meghan
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Does this mean your want you PC and kit NOW??!! (sorry just an inside joke)
I did ship it out today for you!!! Please take pictures!!! I cant wait to see the vehicle when done.
And yes you should clay before polish this way any contaminants will be removed and when you polish you wont be buffing around any "items" that were imbedded in the paint. I am sure chances are it was shipped rail. But that step is kinda up to you. GOOD LUCK!!!

anolin
08-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks, again for all your work getting my crazy order filled, Meghan.

I will definitely be claying, but my question is, assuming I clay very carefully, do I need to polish new paint before sealant? Will the EX-P bond without a polish step?

(I know what you're thinking.. why did he get the PC, if he just wants to skip polishing? Believe me, the PC and pads will get used IMMEDIATELY on our '94 Acura Legend! Some people find practice panels, I just have a beater on the other side of the garage.)

Meghan
08-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks, again for all your work getting my crazy order filled, Meghan.

I will definitely be claying, but my question is, assuming I clay very carefully, do I need to polish new paint before sealant? Will the EX-P bond without a polish step?
I am sorry though step 2 question was about clay.... I will read it again.. with glasses on! :p

Meghan
08-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok , I would polish since you are using a mild one, will help prep the surface.

P1et
08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I would add two layers (thin ones) of EX-P to ensure you have even coverage.

FloridaNative
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Since you want to clay with soap and water why not just do it while washing??? Then you can kill two birds with one stone and you can just rinse and dry the car and go onto your polishing step. I'd go with 2 coats of EX-P to assure even coverage and add even more shine. After it's fully cured you can top with Natty's at will. :)