PDA

View Full Version : Spot free drying?

calhoun1
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
What are some reasonably priced alternatives to the CR spotless system and systems like that for spot free rinsing/drying?

I would love to not have to spend as much time washing/drying my car that I do so I can actually get more done to it. I also don't like having to break out the leaf blower every time or somehow getting something in my MF and marring the paint.

What are some ideas?

Would ONR, or another rinseless wash be an option? If so, what kind of things would I need for that?

Or just more MF towels?

Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks.

orionz06
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
i think once you use the ONR system, you will never do a real wash again...

if you do a regular wash, get an inline filter... i have one and it works pretty well...

most important, cobra guzzlers...

but ONR will make things easier, you wont have water everywhere, you wont have puddles around the car, and its easier to dry...

for the ONR:

ONR of course, 2 buckets, 2 grit guard, LC sponge and a guzzler or two... with the ONR, you also have a QD and a clay lube

loudog2
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Remember to take the spray nozzle off the hose for the final rinse. This will sheet the water over the paint, and get rid of the water droplets. Less water to dry.

Jimmie
02-26-2009, 07:41 PM
loudog has a good one. Here are some more. I use an electric leaf blower to start the drying when I can. At times in the heat of summer I'll use a Cal. water blade to get the windows before they spot. Add a capful of ONR to your wash bucket (acts like a water softener). Last, here's a system that is a fraction of the cost of the CR.
Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister and Accessories (http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html)
Scroll down to the water softener cartridges.

orionz06
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
thats what i use...

ScottB
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter (http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html)

I would still like to test this unit ...

lgtspecb
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter (http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html)

I would still like to test this unit ...That's what I have, but it's disconnected for the winter. I wouldn't say my water is very hard but can never be too safe.

Speed-Dude
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
does the inline water filter system allow for leaving the car out in the sun to dry spot free? or does it just make the water softer. I have heard that a water softener works much more differently than a deionizer so what are the differences?

Emile
02-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Some members on this forum will curse at me for saying this, but during the summer (for outdoor washes), I like to use my California Water Blade. The idea is terrible but the execution is fantastic for me. I only need like one or two 16"x24" waffle weave towels to dry off whatever the Water Blade is not able to wipe off.

Also, I have to agree with the recommendation on Optimum No-Rinse. Since you work on one panel at a time (wipe on MF wash mitt, and then dry off), it minimizes the chances of water spots and if there are still any dried up spots I may have missed, one towel wipe and it's gone.

I actually just finished washing my car with ONR. I think once summer rolls around I'll only be taking my car outside to pre-rinse with my foam cannon and to clean up the wheels and tires, and then finish up with an ONR wipe-down.

lgtspecb
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
You cant just let the water dry on the car without drying even with the dual filter setup, but you dont have to get it 100% dry. With a water flush, water blade and guzzler it dries quickly and wont spot.

I still put onr in the soap though, and i do a final buff with spray wax to make sure its really dry. I guess i'm just ocd like that.

lgtspecb
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I love ONR and my favorite part of it is that the car is completely dry when finished, but sometimes the car just needs a full wash to get all the grime out of the wheel wells and all the nooks and crannies. I do probably 75-80% of my washing with onr, but sometimes (even in the middle of winter) the car needs a real good wash, thats where the foam canon comes in.

MASERATI nut
02-27-2009, 03:22 AM
loudog has a good one. Here are some more. I use an electric leaf blower to start the drying when I can. At times in the heat of summer I'll use a Cal. water blade to get the windows before they spot. Add a capful of ONR to your wash bucket (acts like a water softener). Last, here's a system that is a fraction of the cost of the CR.
Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister and Accessories (http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html)
Scroll down to the water softener cartridges.

When you use the water blade, do you use on paint as well or just windows? I've heard about danger of scratching the paint. I've used on paint and have no visible problems. Maybe a halogen would change my mind. What do you think? Thanks.

08 Maserati Quattroporte Exec GT
98 Mercedes C230

Jimmie
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
When you use the water blade, do you use on paint as well or just windows? I've heard about danger of scratching the paint. I've used on paint and have no visible problems. Maybe a halogen would change my mind. What do you think? Thanks.

08 Maserati Quattroporte Exec GT
98 Mercedes C230

Just windows for me. Others have reported that they have no visible problems either. Just my opinion, but I think it's only a matter of time before you trap something against the paint.

lgtspecb
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I just use it on windows to get the bulk of the water off quickly. I have tried it on the car twice and I really didn't find it much more effective than sheeting the water off by flushing it with water, but that could also be technique. I know when I am done washing and drying, when I pull into the garage there is already a nice visible layer of dust, combined with the off chance of missing a spot cleaning, or having hard minerals in the water and I would rather not use it.

My neighbor is a detailer and he swears by the blade for drying the whole car and is not worried about scratching ("thats what you wash for", he says). So too each his own I guess.

blk45
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
The only true spotless rinse that you will get will be from a CR Spotless or some other de-ionizing system. The filters from AG will help, but are not capable of providing a spotless rinse due to the makeup of the filters. I tried to skimp out and save money because I didn't want to pay that much for a water filter. It was a waste of time and money and I ended up buying a CR Spotless after all. They seem expensive initially, but if you do the math, it breaks down to about 22.5 cents per gallon. It truly is a spotless system. Once your readings on the included TDS meter pass 20ppm, you will start to see spots. Change the resin and you are good to go for another 400 or so gallons. I live in Florida and can rinse the car and let it air dry in the middle of summer. As the old adage says, you get what you pay for.....