PDA

View Full Version : first detail/swirl removal questions

ghaddon
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey guys! great and informative site so far.
My name is Gatlan and am going to be doing my first full detail on my jet black 2001 bmw 325ci soon.

I wanted some recommendations on products to use on swirl removal. I have light to moderate swirls on my car, no oxidation whatsoever just swirls, I can only see them in the sun when the sun hits the car, aside from that one spot it has a great shine. It has a few deeper scratches that I know a DA polisher can't take out and I am going in knowing that. I just want to improve the look by removing the swirls as best as I can.

Here is what I have collected already:
1. Meguiars Gold Class car wash.
2. meguiars smooth surface clay kit
3. 3m green masking tape

I need a DA polisher, polishes/swirl removers and a glaze or wax. I plan to wash my car once a week after this detail and have the time to wax twice a month as that is what I do already, so a long lasting wax or sealant is not a huge concern to me. I just want the deep black look I know my car can give.

I spoke with Meguiars through an e-mail and they recommended that I try their product called swirlx and if that doesn't work then to try ultimate compound both on an orange pad and then going to a white to finish the polish work and then top that with the nxt 2.0 wax.
Does that sound like it will give me the results I want? as once again I am very new with paint correction.

All input will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
-Gatlan

Harleyguy
02-25-2009, 08:12 PM
If you haven't bought the Pc look into getting a rotary ,Then get the Menz SIP and Nano then if you really want to go crazy get the 85rd for jeweling .You will need an assortment of pads also.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Harley is correct...although if you get a rotary, practice on an old hood or something before going to your car if you've never used one. A DA polisher will work well too with the SIP/Nano combo that Harley suggested. Pick up some orange, white, green (if you want), and blue LC CCS 5.5" pads (4" pads are great to have too). Don't waste money on a glaze. Wolfgang makes a great paint sealant, which you can top your car off with, or if you want, pick up some Natty's Blue (this wax is great for dark colored cars).

sal329
02-25-2009, 08:37 PM
PC with an assortment of 4" pads are great for a beginner. If you want to spend a lil more look into a Flex. Meguiars 105 and 205, Menzerna SIP and 106ff as well as Prima Swirl and Finish are all great polishes.

Harleyguy
02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
PC with an assortment of 4" pads are great for a beginner. If you want to spend a lil more look into a Flex. Meguiars 105 and 205, Menzerna SIP and 106ff as well as Prima Swirl and Finish are all great polishes.:whs:

orionz06
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Flex buffer, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-flex-xc3401-ceramic-show-car-kit.html)

or this

Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html)

the last one might need some blue pads added...

as for last step products, a sealant and a wax are what i would go with anyway... the added piece of mind is worth it... then add wax as needed... the fuzion deal is a tough deal to beat, but souveran/nattys blue/ssII/supernatural sample are tough to beat...

fuzion is the best value right now, nattys blue a close second...

for sealant, optiseal, wolfgang, dg #105...

i know with the wax i was vague, but if it were me, i would buy the fuzion now when its cheap... you will end up with it later anyway...

ghaddon
02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. Where would be my best bet for finding before/after pictures to try and see what products suit what needs best, as far as severity of swirls, as I don't know how to classify mine properly? Also, I will try to take some pictures of the swirls I want to improve on this weekend and will post them up.

What about the poorboys ssr1-2-2.5-3, how well do they work? As the ~15 dollar price tag each is appealing with my college student budget.

conan777
02-26-2009, 08:28 AM
PC with an assortment of 4" pads are great for a beginner. If you want to spend a lil more look into a Flex. Meguiars 105 and 205, Menzerna SIP and 106ff as well as Prima Swirl and Finish are all great polishes.

:iagree: The Flex is the way to go and it can remove deep RIDS. I have a UDM, FLEX, and Rotary and I like my Flex the best. However to answer your question if you buy a PC or other brand orbital I would recommend the Menzerna brand of Polishes. To be safe I would go with a good compound such as Power Gloss, a Medium polish like SIP (super Intensive Polish) and then a finishing polish such as 106ff Nano Polish. I would also recommend some LC CCS pads, Yellow/Orange for use with Powergloss Compound or SIP, White for the 106ff/fa Nano polish, Blue/Black for waxes or paint sealant. Remember when using the PC etc you want to use speed 6 for correction and work the polish until it is fully broken down. I recommend that you watch the videos on AG's webstore. Good Luck

tempter927
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Flex buffer, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-flex-xc3401-ceramic-show-car-kit.html)

or this

Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html)

I find it interesting that autogeek offer menzerna kit's that come with the PC,, The kits mention they are for ceramic clear coats and one specifically mentions mercedes (which according to the forums,, has a very hard clear coat).

Based on what I've read in the forums paint correction with the PC is more time consuming, however will the PC be able to correct moderate to light swirls on these hard ceramic clear coats? specifically mercedes?

I have never used a polisher and am deciding if I should purchase a flex 3401 or PC. Cost isnt the issue,, I just dont want to ruin the clear coat/paint since I'm new to paint correction. I intend to first detail my fathers '03 ford expedition as practice before I touch my car with a buffer regardless of which buffer I choose. With either polisher I intend to use SIP, NANO, and 85rd then seal with wolfgang 3.0 n top off with fuzion (couldnt resist the 2 for 100 sale last month)

Dsoto87
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
If money is no issue than the flex wins hands down

Lowprofile
03-02-2009, 02:40 AM
So why does Flex win hands down?

Harleyguy
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
So why does Flex win hands down?It is a cross between a Da and a rotary .I bought a Pc trying to do the same things as you are trying unable to get the results i was looking for i ended up using my Makita rotary.I all owned the rotary also i guess i could of saved the money spent on the PC since i only use it now for waxes and sealants.You may want to ask since i don't own one but the flex may be more user freindly at first then a rotary .Or just buy both Im the MAN