PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this process?

lgtspecb
02-25-2009, 01:30 AM
So some of you may know, I got in an accident at the end of December and had to buy a new car. I usually would wait to order instead of taking dealer stock, but I didn't want to drive my garage queen around in the ice and snow with all the rock and salt. Long story short, I bought a new 09 Blue Impreza WRX that had sat there for a long time and the paint was in pretty poor condition. Being the dead of winter and having just done a full detail on my wrecked Impreza two weeks prior, I just did a wash, clay with pinnacle ultra-poly, and klasse aio with a lc white pad, followed with a wash and optimum spray wax every week. Goal was just to clean it up a bit and lay down some protection.

The condition of the paint is really starting to get to me so I wanted to spend a weekend getting it cleaned up. Since the ultra-poly wasn't aggressive enough there is still some contamination to remove. I was thinking wash with opt+onr, megs clay bar, opt polish with orange pad, opt polish with white pad, and opt poli-seal with gray pad, then pinaccle ss2 with red pad.

Any ideas for improvement? Can I skip the 2nd polish and go straight to poli-seal? Change pads around? I've also got plenty of other products I could switch out, but no menz or fusion. So feel free to make other product recommendations. Unless really needed, I would rather not have to place another order right now.

conan777
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Sounds good to me. The WRX paint is pretty soft right? Seems like you have what you need. I would not buy more products unless you absolutely have too. Good Luck

lgtspecb
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Sorry, I didnt see your reply eariler. Yeah the newer Subaru paint is pretty soft.

Is that your r8 in your avatar? Looks nice. The only ones I've seen around here look like they were washed with a natural cactus sponge, even the ones at the auto shows.

Emile
02-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I would say that after washing and claying, try Poli-Seal with a white pad. Poli-Seal isn't as good as a dedicated polish but it does have impressive cleaning ability when used with a buffer.

When I got my 2008 WRX it too had water spots on the hood. Poli-Seal and white pad was not able to correct them, but maybe your water spots are not as bad as mine. It's worth a shot before going to Orange pads....as Rsurfer says, go with the least aggressive setup first.

lgtspecb
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
hmm, i don't have any water spots. what i meant by contamination is the paint doesnt feel slick, the pinnacle removed a lot, but i need something a bit more aggressive. what is getting to me is all the swirls, other than that the car really shines. when I was at the dealer today it was easy to spot my car amongst the other wrb imprezas.