PDA

View Full Version : Florida Auto Detailers Read!!!! Car Wash ban!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Chrisquickshine
02-24-2009, 06:50 AM
This morning I've woken up to some extremely unpleasent news. The local news stations in my area ( Tampa Bay ) are reporting that counties are considering banning car washing from homes. Go to the following

Stricter Water Rules Sought (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/24/na-stricter-water-rules-sought/)

If this goes through then whatever will I do? All of my car detailing from my customers homes with the use of their water. I'm absolutely twisted about this because I'll never be able to find another job where I can make as much as I do. How many of us will be out of business? Is it possible to go waterless and still be economical?

SPiN
02-24-2009, 07:03 AM
This morning I've woken up to some extremely unpleasent news. The local news stations in my area ( Tampa Bay ) are reporting that counties are considering banning car washing from homes. Go to the following

Stricter Water Rules Sought (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/24/na-stricter-water-rules-sought/)

If this goes through then whatever will I do? All of my car detailing from my customers homes with the use of their water. I'm absolutely twisted about this because I'll never be able to find another job where I can make as much as I do. How many of us will be out of business? Is it possible to go waterless and still be economical?

A lot of people use the rinseless wash methods. Other then that it maybe time to just invest in a water tank and hose, they are not that expensive.

My last method, which is what I would try but kindof a hassle, just go down to city hall, write a letter to your city/state, and let them know your situation, they may be able to work out something. Regardless those water saving things always get lifted after a few weeks.

Meghan
02-24-2009, 07:33 AM
We have been under water restrictions before, Rinseless wash all the way!

WindyCity
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
New rules could mean fewer hours to water lawns, fewer days to use a hose or micro-irrigation on landscaping, tighter limits on watering new plants and no car washing at home.

I love it....So a guy that wants green grass gets to have some water but the guy that wants a clean car has to pay to go to a AUTOMATIC car wash? I guess the person who is proposing this cares about HIS lawn, but probably doesnt wash his own car anyhow!

Maybe this is backed by local car washes?????

I am glad chicago doesnt have these stupid limits!

So what if you bring water in a water tank in from somewhere else that is not restricted to your customer?

Emile
02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
No big deal. Just use Optimum No-Rinse or DP Rinseless Wash. Only requires about 3 to 4 gallons of water to fully wash a vehicle.

Chrisquickshine
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
A lot of people use the rinseless wash methods. Other then that it maybe time to just invest in a water tank and hose, they are not that expensive.

Would that be allowed? I find it doubtfull but I'll be looking into it more today.

I'm still waiting patiently to hear more. It's interesting to note though that my phone is going crazy with calls from customers who want theirs done before any restrictions are put in to place.

As for the waterless, it seems like it gets great reviews. If restrictions are put in to place I may have to explain to my customers that I will be buying waterless / rinseless products in order to keep their business untill the restrictions are lifted. I'll have to up my prices a little bit. I just can't imagine working / doing anything else as this point in my life.

blk45
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Water Regulators Reject Tougher Rules For Tampa Bay Area (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/24/water-regulators-reject-tougher-rules-bay-area/news-breaking/)

Gary Sword
02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Water restrictions will never stop me from washing my cars. If I ever get a ticket I'll wash them in the garage.

David Fermani
02-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Water restrictions will never stop me from washing my cars. If I ever get a ticket I'll wash them in the garage.

I'm with you Gary. They'll need to pry the hose out of my cold, dead hand before I stop washing my car!

lgtspecb
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
I think you will learn to like rinseless washing anyhow and find it to be even quicker and more economical. It's not a bad thing to consider regardless of water restrictions.

I am right with you guys though, and it sounds like they are leaning that way here in Oregon shortly too. I will be first to oppose it, thats for sure even though I do 80% of my washing with ONR. No one has a right to tell me I cant wash my cars.

An even worse bill was proposed here last month, preventing the sale of aftermarket parts for motor vehicles. Mainly focusing on tires (oregon is a huge ski/snowboard state), but would outlaw any modifications that added any drag, rolling resistance or emissions. Suspension, brakes, tires, etc, all which are added to cars to improve its safety would be made illegal. I wrote the house representatives and advised many others to do so. Which reminds me, I need to go check the status of it.

The laws they come up with these days! Anyhow, glad to see it got dismissed for you guys.

PaintPolisher
02-25-2009, 12:59 AM

I also saw the post that this did not happen which gives you some time to get cracking on your new improved business marketing plan.

Across the country we are being swept up by social, environmental change so be pro-active and get onboard and stay in business.

Think eco-friendly and get some ONR. PM me and I will be glad to exchange phone numbers and what not to assist you in your new business plan direction.

I have been under mandated no watering for the last 4 years. I now embrace what they imposed on me. Will the drought end here? Sure in a couple of years. Will they let us wash cars outdoors at home with a hose again. Not a snowballs chance!

I now wash cars in less time then when I used a hose. Around here I am doing everything legal and getting good Public Relations from the media. Avoided future issues with hauling water in so I switched to ONR.

al

cosmo e46
02-25-2009, 11:19 AM
A lot of people use the rinseless wash methods. Other then that it maybe time to just invest in a water tank and hose, they are not that expensive.i like the water tank/hose application provided one has a truck w/a trailor. if you go this route fill the tank w/ soft water if you can,i have a water softner in my home and what a difference it makes on a cars finish.foced to wash in direct sun light? no big deal.no hard water spots any more. i love my home state but we have water issues.

My last method, which is what I would try but kindof a hassle, just go down to city hall, write a letter to your city/state, and let them know your situation, they may be able to work out something. Regardless those water saving things always get lifted after a few weeks.i anticipate resistence @ city hall there going to say if we let you,then we have to let others.

Bunky
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
There is not going to be any relaxation at "City Hall".

I have seen this at quite a few areas and it gets pretty simple -- it always ends up with fines, neighbors turning other neighbors in, tiered water rates, drastic use rules, etc, if you get your water from a managed utility.

In our area, people even with a managed water provider have drilled wells to avoid the regulations since wells to water yards have not been regulated. Car wash businesses have the inside track at City Hall since they can actually encourage banning home car washing to drive more business to them.

SPiN
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
i remember a ban a while back where they only would let you wash your car from X Hour to X Hour, Usually the humid hours. And they would only let you water your lawn like once or twice a week between like 4am to 6am.

I never really went by those hours and never really had a problem. I highly doubt one of my neighbors would call the cops and be like "omg hes washing his car"

Surfer
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Problem right now is we haven't had any decent rain in a long time.