PDA

View Full Version : need some guidance on how-to's

Scooter89
02-24-2009, 02:13 AM
well... i thought i knew a little something about waxing but i guess i didnt. and i could use some direction. i got a 98 Silverado. green metallic paint. its in good shape but the swirls are there. last year i did meguires 3 step system i think once a week. and after the 5th day it seems the wax wore off but now i realize that theres this thing called filler and glazes. well all i want to do is make my truck shine like no other. shine and remove swirl marks. its light marks that you only see in sunlight. so what would be the steps and what to buy? i use meguires gold class wash and dry with microfiber or a camoise. so what do i do next? if it isnt hard to do, could someone make like a list? i have a 10 inch orbital buffer but im gonna get a polisher. so what do i need? i wouldnt mind using 3m since i know their stuff works wonders. but my goal is get a really darn good shine and keep it more than a week. please... if someone could make a list that would be awsome. im just so taken back at the fact that ive been waxing wrong. i want to make this year a new year and learn how to get a showroom shine.

longdx
02-24-2009, 02:47 AM
If you like Meguiars , you can use SwirlX and then follow it with Collinite for durability. (also Fuzion, Pinnacle, Wolfgang all make superior products). Not to nitpick, but by using the Meguiars 3 step (weekly)you were essentially stripping the wax you put on the week prior. Carnuba waxes have a nice deep, warm look but usually do not last long (Collinite is the exception). Sealants will last longer but have a nice, crisp look. (It really is a matter of personal preference). You could even try a One step product like Pinnacle XMT360 that accomplishes all the processes (cleaning, polishing, and protection) and follow it with a wax/sealant of your choice. Best of luck.

calhoun1
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
To truly get rid of the swirls, you really want to get a PC. I say PC because I wouldn't recommend an orbital for your first machine.

But go for a PC 7424, a couple of polishes and a bunch of pads. If you don't use a buffer and some kind of polish/compound you are only covering/filling the swirls, not getting rid of them.

They have plenty of great kits here on AG:
Menzerna kit, 5.5 lake country pads, porter cable menzerna kit, ceramic clear polishing kit, Mercedes polishing kit (http://autogeek.net/pc7424-menzerna-ceramic-kit.html)

That kit will get those swirls out for you. Then all you need is either a sealant or a wax, or if you so desire both.

Good luck with getting those swirls out.

Scooter89
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
thanks for the tips. im looking into it right now. but i looked at my post again and i meant to say i did the meguires 3 step then the usual 3rd step ( carnuba) but yea. i will be making a shopping list and going with that. thanks. now... are there any better car wash formulas that are highly recomended? or how about 3m? i see the medium cut, light cut and heavy cut compounds. are there any reasons for using them?

sal329
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
PC or a Flex (Flex would be my choice if money would allow it). If you get the PC get 4" pads, Menzerna SIP and 106ff or Meguiars 105 and 205. Use these to remove the swirls, add some Danase Wet Glaze for a lil wetter look and then top with your choice of wax or sealant.

bige441
02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
You should also read up on the 2 bucket method and in vest in a few grit gaurds along with the proper wash media. Then top it off with a guzzler!

ScottB
02-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)