PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Molding and Trim?

Lowprofile
02-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I have a black 03 Nissan Maxima GLE and would like to know exactly what is "exterior molding and trim?" Is it the plastic bumper? Can i use my 'sealants' and 'waxes' on this part? Please help clarify what 'exterior molding and trim' is exactly. Had planned on covering the entire vehicle with a cleaner and sealant or cleaner and wax. What parts of my 03 do I need to stay away from? Kinda confused....

OGauge4Me
02-23-2009, 05:15 AM
I have a black 03 Nissan Maxima GLE and would like to know exactly what is "exterior molding and trim?" Is it the plastic bumper? Can i use my 'sealants' and 'waxes' on this part? Please help clarify what 'exterior molding and trim' is exactly. Had planned on covering the entire vehicle with a cleaner and sealant or cleaner and wax. What parts of my 03 do I need to stay away from? Kinda confused....

Exterior molding is usually a black hard rubber strip on the side of a vehicle. However since the late 90's exterior body cladding is often referred to as molding. Body cladding in the off color trim piece that is usually on the lower part of trucks, vans and SUV's. It is also on cars to give them a sportier look and are usually the same color as the car.

Example of body cladding on a van.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/OGaugeTrains/DSCN4612.jpg

Example of body cladding on a car.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/OGaugeTrains/2004SLE%20Winter%2006/DSCN9706.jpg

Trim is usually the chrome, black hard rubber, or hard black plastic piece around the windows, grill, or lights on a car.

I would test your product in a small out of the way area to see if you like it before doing the entire car.

Sealant on rubber does not usually work out too well. Sealant on black plastic trim and body cladding can cause a white residue buildup. The buildup can be removed.

Hope this helps you out.

Lowprofile
02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks. That was what I was looking for.

redboost10
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
i just got a bottle of poorboys trim restorer. i couldnt find much reviews/opinions about it, but i am very happy with it. you can use a lot and get a wet look or you can use a little and just get a new matte look. and a little goes a long ways.

OGauge4Me
02-24-2009, 04:55 AM
i just got a bottle of poorboys trim restorer. i couldnt find much reviews/opinions about it, but i am very happy with it. you can use a lot and get a wet look or you can use a little and just get a new matte look. and a little goes a long ways.

Nice post as I am always looking for something to give the van some extra pop. I may have to pick up some PB Trim restorer.