PDA

View Full Version : Musty smell??

pricha00
02-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Wifes Rav4 that I like to keep clean. Of course living in Canada means 6 months of winter where outside cleaning is virtually impossible. Starting to notice a musty smell when the heater is on, and I assume its the water that has missed the rubber mats and settled in the carpet around the drivers footwell area. I probably can't really get this area dry until the spring, probably about 3 months away, but I want this smell gone. Any products I can use or any procedures that can be done while the vehicle is still outside to improve this problem? I did search the forums but I am not really keen on having to remove the whole carpet for such a small area. Come spring could I just get that area of carpet up to look at the backing?

Pat.

maddenbowler
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM
i would probably just spray some cleaner on it and then point a fan at it and hopefully it goes away

gewb
02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
When did you last replace the cabin air filter?

Regards,
GEWB

pricha00
02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Cabin air filter still original. Would that be an issue? It certainly seems like its originating from the carpet as the heater warms up the car it unfreezes the damp carpet and the musky smell appears.

Pat.

budman3
02-21-2009, 10:41 AM
When did you last replace the cabin air filter?

Regards,
GEWB

That would be my guess as well. My GFs Toyota gets this smell once or twice a year and replacing the cabin air filter (behind the glove box in the Corolla) does the trick.

ScottB
02-21-2009, 10:42 AM
1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-klima-cleaner-air-freshener.html)
(smells coming from vents)

Dakota Odor Control Products feature the Dakota Odor Bomb and Dakota Non-Smoke for car odor removal. (http://www.autogeek.net/dakota-odor-removers.html)
(interiors)

Duragloss Absorb-It Odor Eliminator #371 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-absorb-it-odor-eliminator.html)
(matts)

obviously controling where the smell is coming from provides best results as over time wet carpet will mildew and stink. Rubber matts and something like Fabric Protector on carpets can help tremendously also.

WeatherTech Classic Premium Rubber Floor Mats For All Cars, Trucks, MiniVans, & SUVs floor mat, car floor mat,truck floor mat,auto floor mat,custom (http://www.autogeek.net/weattecfloor.html)

gewb
02-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Cabin air filter still original. Would that be an issue? It certainly seems like its originating from the carpet as the heater warms up the car it unfreezes the damp carpet and the musky smell appears.

Pat.

A 2006 and still the original cabin filter?! I change mine once or twice a year (at least once a year). Most vehicles are easy to change cabin filter but some are a pain. Hope yours is easy.

Regards,
GEWB

bill walsh
02-21-2009, 09:38 PM
you can try uview misting machine

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
As mentioned above you need to replace your cabin air filter and spray BG Friggie in the cowl so it can go through the vents and kill the bacteria or you can use the 1Z product.

Harleyguy
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
The cabin air filter helps ,But if you smell mildew the water that is under the carpets may be growing mold.In fla mildew is a big problem on the AC evaporator we use the Bg's cleaning mentioned by Asphalt .Nissan makes a cleaner like that also which infinti uses works great.The car company i work for actaully has a after blower function that turns the blower motor on high for 15 mins after you leave the car so it drys off excess water on the evap

pricha00
02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Replaced cabin air filter today. I wil see if its helps. I do believe it is the water entrapped in the carpet from our long crappy winter that is causing the problem though. I will have to wait until some warm weather to give it a good cleaning and drying out. Do you think this is possible without removing the carpet from the vehicle? I don't have an extractor at this time, wet/dry vac yes but no professional cleaning appartus.

Pat.

dublifecrisis
02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
VW's are horrible with this and it's always the cabin filter.

Harleyguy
02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Replaced cabin air filter today. I wil see if its helps. I do believe it is the water entrapped in the carpet from our long crappy winter that is causing the problem though. I will have to wait until some warm weather to give it a good cleaning and drying out. Do you think this is possible without removing the carpet from the vehicle? I don't have an extractor at this time, wet/dry vac yes but no professional cleaning appartus.

Pat.Well if the backing that is on the carpet is think foam you really hae to remove it from the car.If there is a seperate under layment you may be able to remove that dry that then your carpet.

mortan
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
shut up the vault , you have to dehydrated it out, get rid of all water, fix leak etc obtain a dehumidifier and run it on high. set a box fan down there and run it 24 hrs a day.

carpet cleaning md (http://www.steamcarpetcleaningmd.com/)