PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for some help with products

Pages : [1] 2

flyin2jz
02-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Ok im new here but have been detailing for a while. I used to think i was pretty good at it till i found this forum. I cant believe i detailed cars going thru college for over 4 yrs and didnt really have a clue what i was doing. I have a 93 ford mustang that i drag race. The track i go to is terrible for dust. the car is trashed when i get home. Makes me sick. Well i just put new heads on it and now its time to detail it. I just ordered the pc polisher and the lc pads. I have a ton of waxes and polishes but i need some new ideas. RIght now i really only use the poorboys ssr1 and pinnacle series 2. I now have all this new stuff coming and want to know what i really need to do it right. The car is black and the pinnacle is a god send. I always had problems getting the car to look even. what kinda other supplies would you suggest i use. the car has very fine scratches that i would love to get out. I dont think the ssr1 is enough. what pads would you use with the ssr1 and what other products should i get. thanx in advance. any help with the pads and steps would be great. Kevin

loudog2
02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I would grab the menzerna ceramic intro kit(SIP and 106FA). SSR1 is a finishing polish for minor flaws. The SIP can be used with a white or orange pad, depending how bad. Then followed by the 106FA. If you grab some 85RD you can jewel the paint before waxing. Your ride will be the best looking at the track.

In the fuzion descrition, it says it repels dust. Find yourself a anti-static QD and your good to go. Pinnnicle souveran and SSII seem to attrack dust. But both look great. Espeacially souveran on black!

AudiTTman
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes indeed, the Menzerna is amazing. Of course, to every person that asks i always recommend this line of polishes. I use the Pinnacle Sig Series II and i love it. I actually am getting ready to purchase a bottle of 85RD because of the jeweling capablility( it takes a while to do, but i hear the outcome is out of this world). Heck, you might shave some secs off on your drag times because your ride will be so smooth and streamline lol

Harleyguy
02-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes indeed, the Menzerna is amazing. Of course, to every person that asks i always recommend this line of polishes. I use the Pinnacle Sig Series II and i love it. I actually am getting ready to purchase a bottle of 85RD because of the jeweling capablility( it takes a while to do, but i hear the outcome is out of this world). Heck, you might shave some secs off on your drag times because your ride will be so smooth and streamline lolOne of the reasons they wax off shore racing boats (times)

flyin2jz
02-20-2009, 10:04 PM
ok guys thanks for the info. Now what the heck is jeweling. Now im really showing im a rookie. I dont mind spending hours detailing my car i just want to do it the best way. So please post some links if you can of these products and how they work and when to apply them in the process. thanx again for the quick replies. MOre searching for me now.

flyin2jz
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I just checkec on the menzerna product and that stuff looks like its supposed to be applied using a regular polisher. Not a porter cable. I completely hammered my car last summer trying to use a polisher like the one in the pic on the bottles of that stuff and luckily my buddy had a pc and we were able to salvage it. Im a bit scared to use a regular polisher. any tips are appreciated. My wife wants me to buff her ml 430 now that im getting into this stuff again. haha more time alone. :cheers:

loudog2
02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
You can use the PC. A lot of people use the PC and Flex.

Jeweling is a final step used to bring out the gloss. You would use the 85RD with a LC blue pad as your last step. Then wax.

Menzerna Ceramic Intro Kit, Menzerna polishes, nano polish, ceramic paint, ceramic polish, car polish, how to polish ceramic paint (http://www.autogeek.net/ceramic-polish-kit.html)
Menzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna po85rd (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-finish-po85rd.html)

flyin2jz
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
ok when you say then wax. I am assuming that you mean apply the pinnacle sig 2 right? sorry if i sound dumb. im trying to learn so bear with me. Kevin

loudog2
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
ok when you say then wax. I am assuming that you mean apply the pinnacle sig 2 right? sorry if i sound dumb. im trying to learn so bear with me. Kevin
After polishing I always re-wash. Others just use a IPA(alcohol/water) wipedown. After cleaning, then apply your SSII wax.

ScottB
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM
if you are looking for another beauty wax, consider the Dodo Hard Candy.

flyin2jz
02-21-2009, 10:12 AM
ok killerwheels now you bring up another question what is a beauty wax. I would think that would be what you want. I would like to get the wet car look if that makes sense. Kevin:goodpost:

ScottB
02-21-2009, 10:45 AM
ok killerwheels now you bring up another question what is a beauty wax. I would think that would be what you want. I would like to get the wet car look if that makes sense. Kevin:goodpost:

beauty waxes (often called that) as they offer the best looks and wettest finishes but often durability is lower than some other waxes. Pinnacle, Fuzion, Dodo and a couple others come to mind quickly.

flyin2jz
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
does the same apply for a car thats only driven 4 times a month as far as how long the shine stays.

ScottB
02-21-2009, 05:30 PM
does the same apply for a car thats only driven 4 times a month as far as how long the shine stays.

how is the car stored ?? Environment ?? Durability is effected by more than one factor. A booster Spray Wax like Souveran Spray can also help to keep them up between sessions.

flyin2jz
02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Any suggestions for a decent poorboys or pinnacle product for buffing out the fine scratches and swirls with the orange lc pad. i was thinking of getting the pinnacle scratch and swirl remover or some poorboys ssr2.5 or the 2 thanx guys and gals