PDA

View Full Version : Polishing technique

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jamores23
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok so I started working on my BMW finally! Im using SIP, NANO, and PO85RD. Im going over the car with SIP on lc orange pad because the white pad didnt do nothing at all. Is it necessary to have to go over with SIP on a white pad then nano on a white pad also? help im a bit confused?

Rsurfer
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok so I started working on my BMW finally! Im using SIP, NANO, and PO85RD. Im going over the car with SIP on lc orange pad because the white pad didnt do nothing at all. Is it necessary to have to go over with SIP on a white pad then nano on a white pad also? help im a bit confused?
If the SIP and orange pad worked, then use NANO with a white pad and final polish with 85rd and a blue pad.:buffing:

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
If the SIP and orange pad worked, then use NANO with a white pad and final polish with 85rd and a blue pad.:buffing:
I agreed also with Rsurfer and don't forget a IPA wipedown too.................:cheers:

redboost10
02-17-2009, 02:33 PM
im totally new at this stuff, but is another option sip/orange, then sip/white, then nano/blue. that is what i am doing right now (on the nano/blue step right now) and the car is coming out way better than i thought eventhough it is my first time and i had low expectations.

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
im totally new at this stuff, but is another option sip/orange, then sip/white, then nano/blue. that is what i am doing right now (on the nano/blue step right now) and the car is coming out way better than i thought eventhough it is my first time and i had low expectations.
Yes Red, you can go that route also...

redboost10
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
how do you choose which route to go or is it all just personal preference/what is working the best

jamores23
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
when do i do the IPA wipedown? why do I need to use sip on white ? so i go sip orange then white and then nano white or grey and po85rd on blue?

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
It all depends on the condition of the paint.

jamores23
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
what do you mean use final polish with 85rd on blue pad?

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 03:07 PM
when do i do the IPA wipedown? why do I need to use sip on white ? so i go sip orange then white and then nano white or grey and po85rd on blue?
Do one panel at a time, when you finish your first pass with SIP and orange pad, then do a IPA wipe down and check to see if those swirls are gone. That way you didn't waste all that time doing the whole car and have to go over it again.
SIP with orange, nano with white, 85rd with blue.
Also when you are finish polishing go over the car with another IPA wipe down to remove any fillers left behind and to see if you might missed a area too.

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I think he meant final polishing with 85rd

Harleyguy
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
what do you mean use final polish with 85rd on blue pad?I use the nano on a blue pad .The blue pad is the final pad you use to polish the paint it has no cutting . You can use the nano or the 85rd .If you use the nano with the white pad you can then use the nano on the blue pad. You want to always use a blue pad to finish . I believe the 85rd has a better gloss then the nano Zoom can correct me on that .

Rsurfer
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
what do you mean use final polish with 85rd on blue pad?
That's called burnishing/jeweling the paint as a last step in polishing. This will yield you the best final finish. If you are using a pc this last step can be time consuming. In other words, take your time. Many rush this final step cause they want to apply a wax or sealant. Polishing is 90% of what your final finish will look like.

Old Pirate
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes it is Adam, And what machines are you using guys?

Harleyguy
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
:D
Yes it is Adam, And what machines are you using guys?True Angelo i was using a rotary .For my reply guess you guys got me hooked on it now LOL .But i did use my Pc last night to apply my Pinn paint cleansing so i at least don't feel it was a total waste of money