PDA

View Full Version : Doable or not?

sympley
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
To make a long story short. Parked car in a proper parking spot for and went grocery shopping for Christmas dinner. Came out and whoever(I'm still swearing under by breath) was parked next to me on drivers side was already gone. However he/she left me a nice dents and scratched in the rear door, nice Christmas gift.
I have the Porter Cable orbital and used it with Mothers scratch removal(basic stuff from a chain store) I would estimate that I reduced the scratches by about 30%. My question is if I use a compound will I be able t get more of these out? To fix it at a body shops I got quotes from $700 to $1,100, they need to paint the whole side of the car including the front bumper, front door, rear door(where the damage is) and rear fender in order to do it right and blend all of it in so it does not stand out.
Unfortunately money is tight and I need to try and get it done the least expensive way.

Will the following work:
- Touch up paint in the scratches, some are deep, not necessarily all the way to the primer but I would guess definitely through the CC.
- Wet sand with 2500 to even out the touch up paint with surrounding paint
- Some serious heavy duty compound
- Some lighter compound
- Polish
- Wax

For dents I will get one of the paintless dent removal companise to get it fixed. I had few things done before and so far amazing results.
Car info:
2006 Jetta 2.0T
Platinum Gray

Will I be able to skip the wetsand and remove the excess touch up paint with a heavy duty compound? I don't mind taking longer time with the compound
Which compound would you recommend?
Any other advice I can get?

Here are some pics:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/sympley/IMG_4130.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/sympley/IMG_4131.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/sympley/IMG_4128.jpg

Meghan
02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't know if its just me, but those don't look that bad at all. How deep are those scratches, looks like they can be fixed easily if they are as light as they look.

Superior_Details
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
omg i WOULD SNAP!!!

Superior_Details
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't know if its just me, but those don't look that bad at all. How deep are those scratches, looks like they can be fixed easily if they are as light as they look.
YEAH, kinda hard to tell how deep, but those look minor compared to ones that I have seen fixed on the forums.

OGauge4Me
02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
You may want to get a quote from a paintless dent repair technician to fix the dents. They do nice work at a fraction of the cost.

Harleyguy
02-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I would pull the dents first then repair the scratches this way there is a less chance of the dent guy messing up the paint work.And like OGauge mentioned get a price first too see if they can even repair them.

AudiTTman
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Yea i think you might be able to get those out. I had a few like that on my car and some tend to be residue from the other cars paint, however since i can see it in real life, i cant be for sure. You cant rub them off, but with your supplies , id say you can def make an improvement.

Ill be honest, it looks like the door didnt hit once, but twice. I see where the door stopped the first time(faded white line) then about two inches to the right, the looks like the door made contact again. As bad as this sound, i always get a good look at the car next to me before i park. I may even take a quick look at the tag just in the event of that happening. Some people just dont care, i hope you fix this sucker up !

calhoun1
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
And when it happened, did you think about insurance?

If you have full coverage, all you have to pay is a deductible.

Other than that, it depends on the scratch depth.

JAM-FL
02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I recently ahd something similar done to my Chrysler Aspen and I took it to my friends Body shop that deals with High end cars and they did the following. They wet sand the spot with 1500 gave it compound, glaze, and wax and it disappeared.

rousher99
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I would pull the dents first then repair the scratches this way there is a less chance of the dent guy messing up the paint work.And like OGauge mentioned get a price first too see if they can even repair them.

my buddy does the dent repair and they are supposed to fix any thing that do (like scratching and such) without charge. just like if i scratched one of my customers cars i would fix it without charging them. so i say call for an estimate and see if he will fix any mistakes .

Rhoads77
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
that sucks alot. i remember when my friend next door had his vet key'd up. he was so pissed at that. Keeps it locked up in the garage now. Good luck with the fix up tho.

DiPaoro
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
My car was hit by a baseball last year and got a nice little dent. While I did not see them fix the car, there is a way to heat the metal and use some spoon devices to pull out the dent. Cost me $250 and was very happy with the results. No painting....looks perfect.

sympley
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. They were actually backing out and hit the door with their front bumper, that is why there are 3 dents in the door + the scratches. I got so pi**ed off that I went back to the store and yelled at the manager,etc. He called the mall owner or someone who has access to the security cameras, we could see what happened but we could not see the licence plate...too bad.

On a good note quite a few of you are saying that it should be doable or close to it so that makes my day.

-Depth of scratches I am not sure off but I can feel these with a fingernail big time. Looking closer at the scratches I can see lighter gray which I assume is the color paint so I can only imagine that the scratch went throught the CC in some spots at least.

-OK so I will do the following steps:

1. Quote and remove dents.
2. I need to order scratch removing compounds anyone can recommend something that is very good from this site? I guess I will need few different strengths to polish it out.
3. Should I do paint touch up and wetsand, or touch up paint and compound or don't even bother with touch up paint?
4. What polish and wax would you guys recommend for platium gray color and to get rifd of the haze from compounding.

I keep reading and reading on the site but it is just soooo much info and knowledge here that is is overwhelming. I kind of feel brainwashed. I need some direction.