PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Use Turtle Wax Ice Clay

Pages : [1] 2

Darren F
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Anyone ever use turtle wax ice clay? Box says it is better than regular clay that it cleans more and better and it will even remove swirls......

orionz06
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone ever use turtle wax ice clay? Box says it is better than regular clay that it cleans more and better and it will even remove swirls......

havent used it myself, but i have had to reclay for friends who have used it...

Turtle wax in general relies on gimmicks and one time sells... the idea behind the use of a clay bar is the contact with the paint and the removal of contaminants that cannot be removed by chemicals. it may prove to be a useful chemical cleaner, such as klasse all in one, but certain contaminants will remain bonded into the paint.

I am unsure of how it polishes, but i do know the car that it was used on showed no signs of ever being corrected, so i will call shennanigans as well. but again, i havent personally used it.

to me, there is a reason autogeek and many of its competitors do not sell this item, and that is simply because it doesnt work.

Old Pirate
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Nothing works better then good old detailing clay, the Turtle wax ice clay doesn't do the job properly......:cheers:

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-16-2009, 07:44 PM
:iagree::whs:

dublifecrisis
02-16-2009, 09:02 PM
hmmm...around the same topic:

how about surf city beyond clay or whatever it's called? it caught my eye at the auto-parts sotre the other day but...

I've never used any of the ice products.

Darren F
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
would a spray wax like optimum wax be ok to use after claying till i have time to polish and wax?

Emile
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I have used Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar several times and it's an okay product.

I don't find it to be any faster or easiser than using a regular clay bar. The vehicle has to be wet when using Liquid Clay Bar (so start applying either right after you wash, or using a spray bottle of water to prep the surface). Since it is part polish, it will completely strip off any existing wax protection...even the durable ones like Zaino, Duragloss, Collinite, etc. for a well-prepped surface.

The surface comes out pretty smooth but I did perform a side-by-side comparison on my hood and noticed that traditional clay makes the surface feel noticeably smoother. There is also some contamination that traditional clay will remove which Liquid Clay cannot remove. Ice Liquid Clay Bar is more of a paste-polish type product and is applied by hand with a regular applicator....contamination sticks to clay much better and you know you picked up everything with clay once the area you are working on is completely smooth.

I have noticed that the Ice Polish seems to bond and work best (in terms of shine and durability) when paired up with the Ice Liquid Clay Bar. You can easily follow up any product with Ice Liquid Clay Bar, but as I said before, I definitely get better results with traditional clay. It's only worth the Liquid Clay Bar if you really dig the Ice Polish and want the absolute best performance out of the Ice Polish, but then you have to use the Ice Quick Detailer and the Ice Car Wash to properly maintain the current "Ice" protection you have applied.

Sorry if this is long and I got ADD on you, I just thought you may want to know the details before making your decision. Obviously, my opinion is to skip the Liquid Clay as it's the same amount of effort vs traditional clay and I like the results better than Ice Clay Bar, but maybe surf the web a bit and see what other people have to say.

Emile
02-17-2009, 05:39 PM
hmmm...around the same topic:

how about surf city beyond clay or whatever it's called? it caught my eye at the auto-parts sotre the other day but...

I've never used any of the ice products.

What store(s) sells Surf City products?

ScottB
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
the whole ICE line scares me personally ... dont know, just seems another marketing ploy. I now hear they offer BLACK WAX.

Surfer
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Don't bother with TW Ice, stick with real clay and good qd'er, and Klasse AIO.

longdx
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I have used Liquid Clay. It does an adequate job of removing contaminants. But, it is not a replacement for traditional clay. It reminds me of pre-wax cleaner and light polish. You do need to apply it on a wet surface and rinse thouroughly afterwards.

Emile
02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Very interesting. I just checked the Turtle Wax website and they now have a Turtle Wax Ice Clay Kit. It consists of the Liquid Clay Bar, an ACTUAL clay bar, and an Ice Clay Bar Lubricant.

Looks like the Liquid Clay was too controversial and was not doing a proper job as Turtle Wax claimed.

02zx9r
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
i bought it some time last year but have not used it yet. I recently bought the megs clay bar kit and have used that instead.

From reviews I have read, the ICE liquid is a waste of time. The new ICE clay bar is supossed to be better.

Darren F
02-17-2009, 11:47 PM
is a spray wax/spray sealant like optimum wax or aqua wax ok to use after claying until i have the time to polish and wax?

dublifecrisis
02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Emile - Advanced Auto Parts in the southeast must have signed up to sell Surf City because the 3 that I've been too in the past couple months have all had the same display set up. I really want to pick up some of their stuff but it's pretty darn pricey. Average squirt bottle of grime destroyer, QD, protectant, that they sell is around 12.99 and I think the barrier reef carnauba is closer to $20.

anyway sorry back on topic