PDA

View Full Version : RTV Silicone Adhesive removal???

stealth
02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
I just recently installed new painted badges on my car but screwed up the one and need to do everything all over again. How do I remove RTV silicone adhesive?? I tried straight rubbing alcohol and goo gone with not much success. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

RaskyR1
02-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I was going to say Goof Off or 3M adheasive remover, never tried it with RTV silicone though.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I just recently installed new painted badges on my car but screwed up the one and need to do everything all over again. How do I remove RTV silicone adhesive?? I tried straight rubbing alcohol and goo gone with not much success. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Try to soften it up with acetone and use a plastic razor blade to scrape it off.

Old Pirate
02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Try to soften it up with acetone and use a plastic razor blade to scrape it off.

Great answer, you beat me on this one..........:cheers:

stealth
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Will acetone nail polish remover work? and I'm guessing this will obviously not damage the clear coat

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Will acetone nail polish remover work? and I'm guessing this will obviously not damage the clear coat

Try that first, you might have to move up to something stronger. This will not harm your clear coat.

Jimmie
02-14-2009, 01:25 AM
3M makes a caulk remover that is not easy to find. Labeling says all types (silicone). I got some to remove some shoddy silicone caulking from my motorhome but got to admit most was finally removed with a razor blade (very slowly and carefully). I found it at OSH.