PDA

View Full Version : what compound and glaze should i buy

Pages : [1] 2

jamores23
02-12-2009, 01:36 PM
im about to order my compound and i want a glaze for show cars to hide any imperfection. I need a glaze for dark cars and light cars.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't buy a glaze. Make all the paint corrections in your compounding steps the first time. Glazes won't add anything to a properly corrected car.

rwisejr
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
If you still want glazes here are 2 that fit your request

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze can be applied any time to hide minor imperfections and to enhance gloss on black, red, and all dark vehicles. (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-black-hole-show-glaze.html)

Poorboy’s World White Diamond Show Glaze for Light Vehicles cleans and hides fine swirls on light paints, silvers, pearls, and white. (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-white-diamond-show-glaze.html)

But true the best way is to remove all imperfections so glazes won't be required. But there are times and situations where glazes are the only option.

dublifecrisis
02-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I tend to disagree. A glaze might not be useful for a daily driver or for anything long lasting, but it will add to the gloss effect for a carshow or something.
That said, I have 2 glazes on my shelf that aren't even opened...LOL

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
How would it add to the gloss for a show car and not a daily driver if they are both polished correctly?

RaskyR1
02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
How would it add to the gloss for a show car and not a daily driver if they are both polished correctly?

I think he was just saying the added time and effort would be a waste of time on a DD (for most at least), not that it wouldn't make a difference. ;)

Rasky :cheers:

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I think he was just saying the added time and effort would be a waste of time on a DD (for most at least), not that it wouldn't make a difference. ;)

Rasky :cheers:

Where would it be added time for either if both are polished correctly, plus if it is a show car, then it should be spotless at all times.

RaskyR1
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM
im about to order my compound and i want a glaze for show cars to hide any imperfection. I need a glaze for dark cars and light cars.

I do agree with the others that you should be removing the defects, and not hiding them. Get the compounds and polishes you need to make the car look the way it should. The you can pick up a bottle of #3, #5, or #7 and decide for yourself it it adds anything to the paint. I typically will not use a pure polish after haivng just finished a full paint correction. It's something I would use at a later date when I want a little more depth and gloss.

Whether a glaze/pure polish adds anything to the paint is going to have to be something you decide.

FWIW, I started a thread on another forum and here are the current results...

Cheers,
Rasky
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/pure_polish.jpg

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
The concept behind a glaze is obvious, but if you spend the time to properly correct the car, then adding a glaze is a waste of time because it will not add any shine, protection, wetness, etc. to the car at all. It ends just just being a waste of time and money.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I do agree with the others that you should be removing the defects, and not hiding them. Get the compounds and polishes you need to make the car look the way it should. The you can pick up a bottle of #3, #5, or #7 and decide for yourself it it adds anything to the paint. I typically will not use a pure polish after haivng just finished a full paint correction. It's something I would use at a later date when I want a little more depth and gloss.

Whether a glaze/pure polish adds anything to the paint is going to have to be something you decide.

FWIW, I started a thread on another forum and here are the current results...

Cheers,
Rasky
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/pure_polish.jpg

That poll is on your favorite forum that makes #3, #5 and #7 by people that use that brand, so of course they are going to say glaze will add something, if they didn't they wouldn't be supporting that brand on that forum. A very biased poll for sure.

loudog2
02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Get the Wolfgang finishing glaze. Use it with a gray or blue pad. No need to hide things, just correct them. Wolfgangs FG is basically a nano polish. So you'll have your glaze and won't be hiding things:D

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Get the Wolfgang finishing glaze. Use it with a gray or blue pad. No need to hide things, just correct them. Wolfgangs FG is basically a nano polish. So you'll have your glaze and won't be hiding things:D

Great post Loudog2.

jamores23
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I have SIP, NANO, and PO85RD. I am going to buy power gloss as well for heavier things. I just hate how long it takes to do it correctly :(. I guess its the only way to PERMANENTLY correct paint. Should I put two layers of wolf gang dgps 3.0 and then top of with fuzion on my m3? I want it to look extra extra good sicne its my daily driver and it gets me some business lol :)

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I have SIP, NANO, and PO85RD. I am going to buy power gloss as well for heavier things. I just hate how long it takes to do it correctly :(. I guess its the only way to PERMANENTLY correct paint. Should I put two layers of wolf gang dgps 3.0 and then top of with fuzion on my m3? I want it to look extra extra good sicne its my daily driver and it gets me some business lol :)

I hear what you are saying, but if you want it to look the best it takes time. Plus after you go through paint correction, all you have to do is a little upkeep. I don't put nuba's over a sealant, but dgps looks great on its own.

akimel
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
That poll is on your favorite forum that makes #3, #5 and #7 by people that use that brand, so of course they are going to say glaze will add something, if they didn't they wouldn't be supporting that brand on that forum. A very biased poll for sure.

Fair enough, Rocket ... but it should also be acknowledged then that the experts on MOL also insist that the application of a "pure polish" is purely optional and may well not add anything to the appearance of a well-polished clearcoat paint finish (single-stage finishes being a different story). If one reads MOL regularly, one quickly discovers that the pure polishes enjoy such favor among the brethren, not because of Meguiar's indoctrination, but simply because folks believe they often do perceive a difference between cars that have been glazed and those that have not.

Now you and others may well believe that they are seeing something that is not truly there, but the fact remains that they do perceive a difference. One can also argue that waxes do not make a perceptible difference in the appearance of a perfectly polished car. That argument is going on right now in an interesting thread over at Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=104052). Dave McLean and many others strongly believe that no appreciable difference exists in appearance between a car that has been waxed with Collinite 915 and one that has been waxed with Swissvax Best of Show--and they have the results of a well-managed blind test to back up their opinions. Others, on the other hand, believe that they do perceive a real and objective difference in the appearances created by waxes and sealants. And so the debate continues, with no resolution in sight.

I would propose that you and others conduct a blind test similar to Dave KG's great wax test (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=83207). The purpose of such a test would be to assess whether people can tell a difference between perfectly prepped cars that have been glazed and waxed and perfectly prepped cars that have only been waxed. Until such tests are done, all we have are unsubstantiated opinions, and as we all know, opinions are like ***-holes--everyone has one.

I would also like to observe that attitudes toward glazes appear to differ from forum to forum. The Meguiar's forum is not the only forum where a positive appreciation of glazes, or pure polishes, can be found. The same can also be said about Detailing World, which cannot be accused of bias toward any single company and certainly not toward Meguiar's. One finds there an appreciation not only for Megs' #7 but also for the ClearKote, Chemical Guys, and Poorboys glazes. (Do a Google search of DW for "glaze" and check out all the threads on the subject.) Do you really want to dismiss their experience and testimony? Are their expert judgments of less value than the expert opinions of AutoGeek? Even over at Autopia one can find a lot of people speaking well, e.g., not only of the above-mentioned glazes but also of Danase Wet Glaze.

I value your contributions, Rocket, to both AG and to other forums. You are obviously a very fine professional detailer. But the simple fact is that on this question of glazes, as with the question of waxes and sealants, we are dealing with perceptual judgments that are highly subjective, personal, and idiosyncratic. I think that you and others need to cut the glaze-appreciators a little slack. It's not as if any one has any hard evidence and data to support their opinions. It's like arguing who is the most beautiful woman in the world. I know it's Sophia Loren; but I don't think I can prove that to everyone's satisfaction; in fact, I don't think I can prove it to anyone.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt, as I do not ever expect to polish my car to swirl-less perfection. I do not have the polishing talent and competence to accomplish such a task. Moreover, my roadster is both a daily driver and black. I create swirls in her just be looking at her! So I appreciate any product that can improve her shine and perhaps hide, however temporarily, her imperfections. I intend to keep my Luthien a long time, and so I am sensitive to David Bynon's warning (http://www.autopia.org/publish/articles/36/1/Are-You-Over-Polishing-Your-Cars-Paint/Page1.html) not to over-polish. I'm not concerned about achieving a perfect finish. Even if I could accomplish it, I wouldn't be able to maintain it for very long. I have no intention of reducing the clear coat to nothing in a hopeless quest. I imagine there are many others like myself. For them, as for me, glazes, pure polishes, and fillers are a blessing.

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

Cheers,
Al