PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Guru's.....I need your opinion.

KenSekiguchi
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I finally got around to buying a Flex XC 3401 and I need an opinion on the following combination of products that I have yet to buy. First, some background on the car. It's an 02' WRX (World Rally Blue) with 65K miles. I'm pretty sure that it has never been professionally detailed, just your basic quick car washes and such. Since buying that car last year in February, I have put it through maybe five or six automatic car washes at the local Turtle Wax. I have noticed a lot of swirls and light scratches all over, in addition to a major scratch on the passenger side front door that the previous owner had covered up with Subaru Touch-Up paint. I plan on starting with a Dawn mixture car wash, then clay bar the entire car, then wash again with the same Dawn mixture (I want to use a Dawn mixture car wash before my first detail as I want to strip anything that is on the paint, kind of like starting with a somewhat clean canvas, if you know what I mean). After that, I am planning on using (in this order):

- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish with a LC Orange Pad
- Menzerna Super Finish Nano with a LC Green Pad
- Klasse AIO with a LC Gray Pad
- Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze with a LC Blue Pad
- Pinnacle Liquid Souveran with a LC Red Pad

Since I am fairly new to all of this, I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Welcome Ken. Your plan looks fairly good. My opinion is that after that SIP/orange step, you should go back over with SIP/white, then go to Nano/blue. You can skip the AIO step, and the glaze step. I say this because if you do the first two steps correctly, you won't need a glaze on your car as it won't add much, if anything, to the color. If you want a sealant, there are many great options AG offers. You can apply the Souveran either with a Red pad or a Pinnacle yellow poly foam applicator pad. I would apply it by hand personally. Other than that, your process looks good. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
You should clay the vehicle first after a wash with car wash. the clay will strip off the old stuff. If you are going to use the sip with an orange pad, foloowit with the sip on a green pad then 106fa on blue pad then apply your sealant and Souveran. Just remember you night have to go over the vehicle several times with each step to achieve your desired results. Making just one pass with each step might get all the swirls out so don't be alarmed if several passes with each step are required.

KenSekiguchi
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I finally got around to buying a Flex XC 3401 and I need an opinion on the following combination of products that I have yet to buy. First, some background on the car. It's an 02' WRX (World Rally Blue) with 65K miles. I'm pretty sure that it has never been professionally detailed, just your basic quick car washes and such. Since buying that car last year in February, I have put it through maybe five or six automatic car washes at the local Turtle Wax. I have noticed a lot of swirls and light scratches all over, in addition to a major scratch on the passenger side front door that the previous owner had covered up with Subaru Touch-Up paint. I plan on starting with a Dawn mixture car wash, then clay bar the entire car, then wash again with the same Dawn mixture (I want to use a Dawn mixture car wash before my first detail as I want to strip anything that is on the paint, kind of like starting with a somewhat clean canvas, if you know what I mean). After that, I am planning on using (in this order):

- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish with a LC Orange Pad
- Menzerna Super Finish Nano with a LC Green Pad
- Klasse AIO with a LC Gray Pad
- Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze with a LC Blue Pad
- Pinnacle Liquid Souveran with a LC Red Pad

Since I am fairly new to all of this, I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

You should clay the vehicle first after a wash with car wash. the clay will strip off the old stuff. If you are going to use the sip with an orange pad, foloowit with the sip on a green pad then 106fa on blue pad then apply your sealant and Souveran. Just remember you night have to go over the vehicle several times with each step to achieve your desired results. Making just one pass with each step might get all the swirls out so don't be alarmed if several passes with each step are required.

ASPALT ROCKET, thanks for the advice. I am well aware of the clay bar step after the initial wash. As far as the last sentence in your reply, :confused: . BTW, Subaru paint sucks and from my experience, it may take 3-4 passes max to correct moderate to severe issues. If I had rock hard GM paint like you do, then I may need 7-8 passes to correct some issues.

joshs07redss, thanks for the info. As soon as it gets consistenly warmer in Chicago, I will post before and after pics so you guys can check out my work. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

I can see where I would use the SIP with the Orange and then with the White, but only if I needed additional minor correction, right? Using a Blue with the Nano makes more sense than with the Green. The only reason I chose to go with the Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze along with the Souveran was to bring out as much as I could from the paint, meaning depth, color, wetness, and so on and so on. Any other insight from other members is greatly appreciated.

sal329
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Start with SIP on green pad and move up if you need to. Then Nano with grey pad. Klasse Sealant with blue pad

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
ASPALT ROCKET, thanks for the advice. I am well aware of the clay bar step after the initial wash. As far as the last sentence in your reply, :confused: . BTW, Subaru paint sucks and from my experience, it may take 3-4 passes max to correct moderate to severe issues. If I had rock hard GM paint like you do, then I may need 7-8 passes to correct some issues.

joshs07redss, thanks for the info. As soon as it gets consistenly warmer in Chicago, I will post before and after pics so you guys can check out my work. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

I can see where I would use the SIP with the Orange and then with the White, but only if I needed additional minor correction, right? Using a Blue with the Nano makes more sense than with the Green. The only reason I chose to go with the Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze along with the Souveran was to bring out as much as I could from the paint, meaning depth, color, wetness, and so on and so on. Any other insight from other members is greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the typo, making more than one pass is what I meant to type. You might need more than four passes, never put a max on it. As far as my car, I do alot of different cars, there is a wet sanding thread I just put in show and shine to show how to do that and what it adds to a paint job.If you polish the paint correctly with the Menzerna polishes glaze will not add to the depth or gloss of the paint, so you can skip those and just go with your sealnt and Souveran. Also you can use sip with the green pad, that is an awesome combo for light swirls and then follow up with 106fa and then for some extra gloss use 85rd. Glad to help out and hope it goes well and can't wait for the pics of the car.

conan777
02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Wash with a Dawn wash is fine, but you do not have to wash the car a second time after you clay. That is a total waste of time. Just dry the area with a microfiber towel after each section that you clay. THen you are ready to polish
You should be good with the SIP Orange, 106fa White, Sealant, Wax. You are correct in that most WRX's are rather soft and this Combo should work wonderfully. Some others have recommended SIP Orange then again SIP with White (I believe) then Nano with a green pad. You could end up doing that combo but I believe you are adding an extra step that will most likely not give you any significant return for your time. The Nano on a White Pad does an excellent job removing compound hazing so it will most certainly clean up SIP very nicely. I have used this combo numerous times with great success.

Now I would also buy a compounding polish such as PowerGloss to have in my arsenal just in case you need something with some extra bite. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it Just my 2 cents. Good Luck the Flex is a nice machine just remember to tighten that backing plate nut before your first use. Good luck! Can't wait to see your post when you finish the car :buffing:

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Wash with a Dawn wash is fine, but you do not have to wash the car a second time after you clay. That is a total waste of time. Just dry the area with a microfiber towel after each section that you clay. THen you are ready to polish
You should be good with the SIP Orange, 106fa White, Sealant, Wax. You are correct in that most WRX's are rather soft and this Combo should work wonderfully. Some others have recommended SIP Orange then again SIP with White (I believe) then Nano with a green pad. You could end up doing that combo but I believe you are adding an extra step that will most likely not give you any significant return for your time. The Nano on a White Pad does an excellent job removing compound hazing so it will most certainly clean up SIP very nicely. I have used this combo numerous times with great success.

Now I would also buy a compounding polish such as PowerGloss to have in my arsenal just in case you need something with some extra bite. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it Just my 2 cents. Good Luck the Flex is a nice machine just remember to tighten that backing plate nut before your first use. Good luck! Can't wait to see your post when you finish the car :buffing:

160fa on a white pad does clean up haze but still needs to be followed up with 106fa on a finishing pad.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-12-2009, 10:24 AM

You need to go back over the car with SIP/ and a white pad if you started with an orange pad. There would be too much marring for 106 to clean up.

ScottB
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
no need to use Dawn in car care, especially when polishing which abrades the surface.

Dsoto87
02-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't put the souveran over the hgsg because once you put that on you'll have to strip it all off to apply anymore hgsg. Use one or the other

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't put the souveran over the hgsg because once you put that on you'll have to strip it all off to apply anymore hgsg. Use one or the other

Its not that hard to use some paint cleaner then apply his sealant again.