PDA

View Full Version : Help me surprise my husband

txmom
02-11-2009, 02:50 PM
We got a new Highlander for the family - while my husband is still driving his 1994 Toyota Pickup. I want to detail it for him as a surprise and reward him for working so hard.

It's black, has light oxidation, and hasn't been waxed (or washed) in a long time. I will work by hand so it needs to be fast, and easy on/easy off, hopefully with no chalky residue. It doesn't have to be a showroom finish, anything is an improvement. Ease of use is my top priority.

Help me choose products, I'm leaning toward Duragloss because of the price.

1. Something to deep clean and take care of the oxidation.

2. A sealer that will last a long time.

3. A topper that is fast (if needed).

Has anyone tried the turtle wax "ICE" products?

Thanks guys!

sh4dowfax
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forums! :) I'm still learning and my detailing arsenal is rather small, but I've had good results with Collinite wax. (I use #885, but perhaps #845 is easier to use? Washed with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo, dried with Cobra MF towels, then thin layer of wax panel-by-panel, then buff by hand.)

Ha, sorry... not overly helpful... but I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions from the pro's here. :)

Jimmie
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Wash-Clay-Polish-Protect
Really like your idea of Duragloss
Wash=Any good auto wash
Clay=Remove years of embedded contaminents.
Polish=DG101 (or DG501) to remove the oxidation.
Protect=DG105, is a good sealant
Top=Aqua Wax, quick and easy to spray on and wipe off after each few washes.
Oh, and :welcome: I see this is your first post.

Emile
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Wash the vehicle.
Then do Duragloss Polish & Cleaner #101. It should clean up at least some of the oxidation.
Finally, apply a nice carnauba wax such as Collinite #915 or Poorboy's World Natty's Paste Wax (Blue).

crash93ssei
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the forums!

When I first started getting into keeping my cars nice I also had to do all the work by hand. It takes a lot of work and time for sure!

Wash -- check out Meguiar's Gold Class.
Clay -- while it may not seem very important, it will remove contaminants from the paint and also give your sealant a smoother surface to stick to. This will also help the sealant to last longer
Polish -- Not really sure here for use by hand, but I used Meguiar' Scratch X. It removed light oxidation and some haziness for me. I am sure you can't go wrong with the Duragloss as recommended above though.
Sealant -- since you are looking more for longevity, I would definately go with a sealant and not a true carnauba wax. Meguiar's NXT Techwax 2.0 (http://autogeek.net/mg12718.html) seems to be a great choice. I have some Meguiar's #21 synthetic sealant 2.0 (http://autogeek.net/meguiars-21-synthetic-sealant-2-0.html) and have had great results lasting many months with it.

Larry A
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
This is what I would do if I were you -1 get a clay kit be it Mothers, Meguiars , or Auto Magic. -2 get a good cleaner wax such as Meguiars Color X , Duragloss 501, or Mothers cleaner wax. Sinse its black you want it to look great so follow the cleaner wax with NXT 2 , Duragloss 105, or Mothers FX.You probably only need to clay the hood ,roof ,and trunk. The sides you may get away with a good tar remover. If it seems like to much work just use the clay and cleaner waxes, the car will look much better then it does now. The fact that you want to suprise your husband by detailing his car makes you a VERY good wife. Do the interior, it makes it nicer to drive.

txmom
02-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Larry A:

That's just what I was thinking -

Duragloss 501

Duraloss 105

I hadn't thought about the clay kit, but I'll try it. Does the 501 take care of oxidation or is that what the clay is for?

I'm going to do the inside too. But I can handle that - no problem.

AeroCleanse
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Also check out Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

dublifecrisis
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
the clay will remove embedded contaminents such as rail dust, environmental fallout, sap, etc...You would hand work a polish/cleaner (duragloss is great) to remove oxidation and clean the paint so it is prepped for sealant/wax.

Check out youtube for plenty of great videos on claying, polishing, etc...

gewb
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello txmom -

I think it's really great you're doing this for him! Sounds like you are looking for products to purchase locally - most of the products suggested so far can be found in most towns. I too come from that detailing background and here is what I recommend:

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash (a good car wash at resonable price, available many places)

>> If your area uses mag chloride on the roads, use Blue Coral car wash WITHOUT the wax does a better job of removing the mag chloride<<

Clay bar - Clay Magic, Meguiar's, Mothers all are good and widely available

Polish - Duragloss (see previous posts; a little harder to find) or Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (easy to find)

Final coat - Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (get the liquid, spread it THIN - it goes on / comes off very fast and easy and will last about 3 to 4 months - looks great and will NOT add the silvery shine of other common polymer sealants)

Three foam applicators just for the polish - do not reuse with sealant or wax.

Use the applicator enclosed with the NXT only for the NXT - it is a good applicator (be sure to hans wash it well in dish water when you're done)

If you have a membership to Sam's Club or Cosco, get a package of microfiber cloths. Before using them the first time, REMOVE the tags and wash them in a MILD detergent, dry on LOW heat. You will likely need about a dozen of them, maybe a few more.

Step stool - doesn't sound important but it is! I really like the Rubbermaid gray plastic two-step stool from Walmart...expensive at $25 but it was a wide top step, is very stable, is high enough that my 5'1" wife can reach the entire top of her car safely and easily; the unit folds fairly flat for easy storage. The bonus is you will always be using it around the house.

Sponge - doesn't sound important but it is! If you have a Lowes nearby, get their ProLine Professional Easy Grip Sponge (in the cleaning supply area - yellow color) - very soft and gentle. If you need a mess type scrubber for bugs, get the micro fiber/mesh sponge at the Dollar Tree store or auto supply store.

You didn't post what part of the country you are in. If near Denver, PM me - my wife and I can lend a hand.

Regards,
GEWB

sal329
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Lingerie and a Gift Certificate lol
Car wash Optimum No Rinse
Clay bar Meguiars, Clay magic, Pinnacle
Deep cleaner and Oxidation remover and a Sealant that will LAST Duragloss 501
Sealant that will last Finish Kare 1000p
Quick Wax: Optimum Car Wax or Duragloss Aquawax

akimel
02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
1) Wash your behicle with a decent car wash. Meguiar's Gold Class is a good choice. Duragloss 901 is also a good choice.

2) Wax your car with Meguiar's ColorX or Mother's Cleaner Wax. Each is a strong cleaner wax and will remove the oxidation and lay down a layer of protection.

3) Top with Meguiar's NXT.

All the above products are available to you at your local Auto store or at Walmart.

Keep it simple. Keep it fun. You can always get more elaborate the next time you want to detail your husband's vehicle, but right now you want to limit your work and focus on what you can do practically. The routine I have commended is doable; the products are reasonable. ColorX your car, followed by NXT, and your husband will love you forever! Or at least until dinner ... :)

Harleyguy
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Damm you are a great wife mine won't even drive in my weekend car.Only surprise i get is when she doesn't wear flannel to bed

CharlesW
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
While there is lots of good information in the thread, it is probably a little much for you to digest the first time out.

Anyway, one more suggestion.
Call Megan at Autogeek. 1-800-869-3011
You will feel comfortable talking to a another female.
She knows her stuff.
She won't try to sell you a lot of products you won't make use of.

Larry A
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Larry A:

That's just what I was thinking -

Duragloss 501

Duraloss 105

I hadn't thought about the clay kit, but I'll try it. Does the 501 take care of oxidation or is that what the clay is for?

I'm going to do the inside too. But I can handle that - no problem.
501 does take care of oxidation. Its very good at that.