PDA

View Full Version : White Paint Specs On My Black Lexus

Darren F
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Need some help...Stayed over at my moms place one night about a week ago while they were painting her building...Made sure to park as far away from the building as possible..The next morning when I woke up they had already started painting, when I went down to my car I had these white or beige specs all over my car....went home washed the car, broke out the PC, then tried some color x, then tried some XMT360, then some poli seal then lastly i tried prime acrylic, the prime seemed to work the best but not even close to being good enough...so I still have these specs all over my car... HELP....What should I do? Will Clay remove it?

tempter927
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I've never used a pc as of yet,, but I wouldve tried clay first since its supposed to remove comtaninants stuck to your cars paint/clearcoat. I've read that clay can be used to remove overspray.

dublifecrisis
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
and I think the key to overspray is sooner the better. i know that sounds obvious but it does cure and becomes harder to remove.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has done this.

Old Pirate
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Have you use a clay bar on it yet?

Emile
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Clay bar the car as soon as you get a chance.

Shane527
02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
I had this happen to my old truck. I had to file a claim with the company and the entire truck had to wet sanded and polished. Almost all the plastic moulding was replaced. I hope you have better results.

RaskyR1
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Try clay first, there are also some solvents out there you can try, but clay would be my first option.

maddenbowler
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
i would clay first but at autozone they sell a product called graffiti remover and it would probably work but id read a little more about it first

AudiTTman
02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey there, i would def try the clay just to see if that helps any( it worked for me with red caliper spray paint that sat for 2 weeks and 2 washes). Also, make sure you know what company painters were there. My summer job involved spraying wood sealent/stain on numerous decks on apartment complexes and homes....and the rule is, if you mess up someone's property, you are paying for. Dont let this discourage you, no matter what, those specs are coming out, even if it means havin to make some phone calls and gettin those painters to pay for the damage.

Hashimon
02-12-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree with AudiTTman...You should document when this happened...date and time. Take some pictures of your car too. Contact the company that did the spraying and let them know that you got over spray on your car and that they need to fix it. Also when you talk with the company, document who you talked, date, time and what was said. All the documenting is good if you have to go to small claims court.

Because depending on the severity it could be A LOT of work. A friend clayed his car after some pretty heavy over spray and he said he got a good workout but his car cleaned up nicely.

But if you would rather do it yourself then I would definitely clay it soon.

HighEndDetail
02-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Clay will take the over spray paint off. If you have any on the moldings try a little apc/water mix.

gewb
02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Clay it, even the trim and glass.

A few years back I parked my new car (of one month) in an outdoor public lot. The city had done some sidewalk repair...one afternoon I came out to find my car covered with a clear grit on all horizontal surfaces. I tried polish, I tried APCs, nothing seemed to work.

Took it to the dealer in town. Service manager looked at and felt it and said "Oh my, I know what happened because it was my husband who did this - it is concrete hardener treatment!" She sent me to the body shop. A tech took a Clay Magic bar and rubbed a square foot area - came out smooth as a baby's bottom.

I spent a day clay barring the car - looked great.

Regards,
GEWB

Darren F
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on the clay I should buy?

RaskyR1
02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on the clay I should buy?

Meguiars aggressive clay works great for over sprayed cars, but it can also induce light marring. If you do go with the aggressive clay you will likely have to follow it up with a polish. Maybe try some mild clay first, you can find some OTC stuff at most local auto stores.