PDA

View Full Version : clorox and carpet

Smokin
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Well long story short.Wife went to do some laundry or washer is broke.Repair guys coming some time this week. Well she leaves laundrymat and on way home the bleach leaked and ate the carpet.THIS SXXX they want $800 to replace the carpet. I just made my reservation for detailfest to. Cannot afford to get carpet fixed yet.http://autopia.org/forum/images/smilies/awman.gif

OGauge4Me
02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Wht type of car did this happen to?

Are you having a dealer or a shop do the work?

nrengle
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Replace it yourself. Order the new carpet online, and do it at your own leisure. If you can detail a car like an Autogeek you should be able to do that swap easily. All it really requires is pulling the seats and some body panels (most of the cost is the labor too, just like us!)

Jimmie
02-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Replace it yourself. Order the new carpet online, and do it at your own leisure. If you can detail a car like an Autogeek you should be able to do that swap easily. All it really requires is pulling the seats and some body panels (most of the cost is the labor too, just like us!)

:iagree::whs: there have been threads in the past where guys used the old felt padding as a template for new. I've never done it but it looked just as nrenle discribed. It looked like something do-able.

nrengle
02-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Heck you don't even have to cut out the carpet and make a new one, order a replacement one from the dealer, or a parts store online...

Though if you want to make your own, you can do some interesting color combinations...

I changed my headliner from the stock gray to a black suede and then dyed the A pillar trim to match. Then added red panels to the doors to cover the silver/metallic carpet on the panel. I love doing interior customization.

Wendell Jarvis
02-10-2009, 07:35 AM
:iagree: I have done this (carpet removal and installation) on several cars, its really not hard at all, just like nrengle said, there has to be a first time for everything, how else are you going to learn, I dont toss my money around freely, so If I can do something myself and save hundreds of dollars, well......You know the answer.

BenzDetailer
02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Just had to do this to a Mercedes C Class. These guys are right on the actual carpet panel from the factory was just under $100 but they wanted $280 for labor (4 Hours). I did it very slowly and finished it in two hours. Because it was Factory Carpet the match was of course perfect and already sized to match the panel it was replacing. :righton:

heatgain
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Can't your carpet be dyed or colored?

img
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
If you have an oreilly's with the duracolor paint shop, they
should be able to colormatch spray

BenzDetailer
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Most Bleaching of synthetic fibers (as are used in most Automobile Carpets today) does not just change the color but actually attacks the adhesion of the fibers to their backing material. Bleach is a very strong product and not much holds up well against it. Almost all situations where the stain is bigger than a nickle or quarter should be replaced. There are a number of factors that come into play that might be exceptions to this - such as posistion of the bleach spot, whether or not it is in a high use area of the carpet, how long it was allowed to sit before it was neutralized and there are more.

I have retouched small spots (the diameter of a pencil) black automobile carpet using a black SHARPIE and have had great results. On Mohair Carpet, 100 Percent Wool Carpet and other higher end products there are different processes. I have never seen a Die Job, or Fiber patch or any other cover up that was 100% Perfect. I also have never seen a Replacement that was not 100 percent perfect!

Smokin
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I am going to look at some junk yards over the weekend.See if I can find the right color or not . But being new only place that has it is kia dealer. Cheapest so far.Front floor pan
2006 $559.22 $447.38

BenzDetailer
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
That sounds very very very HIGH. check with other Kia Dealers. Also goto this site KIA Sorento Interior > Why Buy New KIA Sorento Parts When Used Can Do? (http://www.automotix.net/partshotline-kia-sorento-interior-requests.html) - Put in your exact model and they will find a used Kia Floor Carpet for you.

img
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
for that price you could just buy a new kia and take the carpet out

Brace1
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
for that price you could just buy a new kia and take the carpet out

:applause: