PDA

View Full Version : Single Stage Paint

BHMSUPRA
02-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I posted in the Wolfgang section but not getting much love there. I need some help guys.

Car - 1991 Supra 7MGTE

Paint - Original OEM Single Stage Red (non clear coat)

Condition - Decent, been in a barn all its life - 36k original miles but the car is covered in fine swirls.

Goal #1- Correct and preserve paint as best I can

Goal #2 - Prepare car for upcoming "car show" season

Tools - PC7424

Products - Wolfgang Swirl Remover (Orange Pad), Final Finishing Glaze (White Pad), 2 coats Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (Gray Pad), Wet Obsession Carnuba Wax as Final coat(s) by hand. All products will be removed with Cobra MF towel by hand. All my pads are LC

I washed and clayed as my initial plan of attack. I know this is a trial and error and in checking my progress along the way, I have halted my project.
Read on.......

After using the Wolfgang TSR and orange pad combo the swirls weren't much better. So I changed to the white pad with better results and followed up in a test 2 x 2 area with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze and gray pad but still have tiny holograms and faint fine swirls. And this is where I stopped.

Question #1 - Most of the data I have read on this board applies to paint that contains a clear coat. With my paint being single stage, are there any variations to the correct process for single stage paint that I need to be aware of. If anyone has ane experiance with old single stage Toyota paint, speak up please.

BTW - I did first practice on the hood of my black ford explorer with the white pad & TSR and then Finishing Glaze with gray pad. The hood on the XPLO came out practically the way it looked when I rolled it off the showroom floor. The XPLO is a OEM factory clear

Question #2 - Should I use the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer prior to the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0? Or... Will the Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze serve the same purpose in cleaning the paint prior to sealant?

Also - Any other criticism of the process I have tried to explain is certainly welcome as I am a total newbie.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Sounds like you are having to go over it several times with each step. A lot of the times going over the paint with each product once is not going to do much.

BHMSUPRA
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
So, you are saying to use the TSR with the white pad more than once. Please elaborate just a little bit.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-07-2009, 11:35 PM
You might need to use the orange pad more than once, the white pad and the gray pad. If that doesn't wotk you will need a more aggresive polish then.

julian
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
single stage eurothane is just clear coat with color in it..
so, just go after it like any other:Picture: