PDA

View Full Version : Going rotary, but what pads to use?

crash93ssei
02-07-2009, 02:11 AM
I will be picking up a rotary in the next few weeks and was wondering about pad choices. I am looking at the Makita 9227c and everywhere I find it, it comes with a 7" backing plate.

With the 7" backing plate, should I get 7.5" or 8.5" pads, or should I just skip that and go with a smaller backing plate / pad choice?

I have read on here that with a smaller backing plate I can use the same 5.5" pads that I use for my UDM, but I don't know if that would be to small and take a longer time.

As always, your help and expertise is always appreciated:D

Emile
02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
What about the new 7" Lake Country Kompressor pads? They just came out and are supposed to be awesomeness.

bgray
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
WELLLLLLLL

THe bigger the pad, the more dangerous it is the damage the plate. It will generate heat much quicker.

I like to use the 5.5" Pads, you get great control, less chance of damage. I have been using LCC CCS's, they work great, but would like to try some other options like the new detailers domain Uber products...

As far as the Kompressor pads..havnet used them...couldnt tell yah

julian
02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
ditch the backing plate. get the edge 2k adapter and some edge 200 double sided wool pads and foam pads with the quick lock.. pretty good stuff, I use my rotary regularly..:cool:

crash93ssei
02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, since I already have some LC CCS 5.5" pads at home, along with more going on my next order I think I will use those for now. Another reason is that I want to minimize the risk of damage as much as possible while I am learning to use the rotary.

I was going to pick up some yellow CCS pads for my UDM, but I removed them from my cart when I decided to pick up a rotary because I didn't figure I would be able to use the same pads. Now that I will use the same pads, should I add yellow pads back on my order?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I would not get the yellow pads.Since you are going with the rotary get some wool pads. They will replace using the orange and yellow pads. The wool cuts and levels the paint better and are also alot easier to control than any foam pad. Use your foam pads to finish polish or when little correction is needed. What type of polish are you using? I prefer the lc pads or the 6inch 3M UK pads.

Old Pirate
02-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Go with what ASPHALT say's. Forget the yellow pad, Go WOOL....:cheers:

crash93ssei
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I am picking up some more Menzerna SIP for sure. I also have some Menzerna FPII in my cart, but I am wondering if I shouldn't switch to 106FA. I am also going to pick up some Menzerna Powergloss compound which I haven't tried yet. I am going to be working on some hammered vehicles, and last year SIP just didn't cut it on some cars.

As far as wool pads, what about the LC Foamed Wool pad? Should I just go with a straight up wool pad instead?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I am picking up some more Menzerna SIP for sure. I also have some Menzerna FPII in my cart, but I am wondering if I shouldn't switch to 106FA. I am also going to pick up some Menzerna Powergloss compound which I haven't tried yet. I am going to be working on some hammered vehicles, and last year SIP just didn't cut it on some cars.

As far as wool pads, what about the LC Foamed Wool pad? Should I just go with a straight up wool pad instead?

Get some Power Gloss, 106fa, and straight wool pads.

Old Pirate
02-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Get some Menzerna Powergloss , OC , 3M Super Duty, and some wool pads and some PFW pads also. Also some 106FF or FA too. A makita should work and get a Meg's W66 BP and a smaller BP for you 5 1/4 in pads too. That should get you started.............:cheers:

crash93ssei
02-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I will change my order from FPII to 106FA and get a smaller backing plate for my 5.5" LC CCS pads along with some wool pads for the standard 6.5" backing plate on the Makita.

I can't wait for spring :buffing: