PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Powerfinish, or Megs M205?

Pages : [1] 2 3

nrengle
02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
What do you guys think and why?

I'm looking for a one step for light to med/light correction, to restore a bit of gloss and clean up on some friends cars that don't want a full 2 or 3 step polish.

I haven't really been able to find a straight answer on the two, so wanted to know what people that have used them both or either, thinks of their abilities?

My first car with it will be a SSM S2000 that needs a workup, but I have limited time to do it, along with limited budget of my friend.

Thanks everyone.

dublifecrisis
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
i would think Power Finish has a bit more cut than the 205. I just got the 205 and i have a sample of PF but have yet to use either.

Usually if i am doing a detail and someone wants a 1 step i use poli-seal....LOL

loudog2
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Power Finish would have more cut than 205. I've used it, and like it. Just don't expect a one step to work miracles. Power finish finishes down pretty good too. Use a white or AG green LC pad.

RaskyR1
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Power Finish would have more cut than 205. I've used it, and like it. Just don't expect a one step to work miracles. Power finish finishes down pretty good too. Use a white or AG green LC pad.

I have not used Power Finish yet but would think this statement to be pretty accurate. I've achieved some decent correction with M205, but it is only a finishing polish.

nrengle
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Ok, that's what I was wondering. Powerfinish it is then. Since I'll be working on the notoriously soft Honda clear, how do you think it'll work with a black/Grey LC pad instead of white? I tend to step my pad aggressiveness down with the soft clear to reduce marring.

Also how well does Fuzion look over a Powerfinish job?

loudog2
02-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Try the LC AG green pad. It is between the white and gray. I use that on soft paint instead of the white.

nrengle
02-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks, I think I'll pick up a couple for this project...

imageautodetail
02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I use alot of Powerfinish and have been using 205 all week to try out on different paint scenarios and I agree with the others that PF will ave more cut, you may want to try a method that I have been working with as of late.

Make a couple of passes with a light cut or cut pad and while leaving product on the panel switch to a polish or finish pad and make a couple passes then remove product

nrengle
02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Image, thanks for the tip, sounds interesting. So hit and spread with the White or Green (thinking green) with my rotary cut, and then swap it to the black pad to jewel it a bit I guess?

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I use alot of Powerfinish and have been using 205 all week to try out on different paint scenarios and I agree with the others that PF will ave more cut, you may want to try a method that I have been working with as of late.

Make a couple of passes with a light cut or cut pad and while leaving product on the panel switch to a polish or finish pad and make a couple passes then remove product

Why would you do that when you should go back over it with a finishing polish. Just curious.

loudog2
02-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Image, thanks for the tip, sounds interesting. So hit and spread with the White or Green (thinking green) with my rotary cut, and then swap it to the black pad to jewel it a bit I guess?
With a rotary you will be able to get away with the green and maybe even the gray. I thought you had a DA. I'd say try the gray first with the rotary, then go to the green if needed.

dublifecrisis
02-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I think because the goal with Power Finish is to finish LSP ready. I've never used it but I think if the PF allows you enough time to make extra passes with a finishing pad, then I think the burnishing effect might be better acheived with the softer pad. I've done this with optimum polish, granted it has a longer working time and it's cut might be more pad dependent.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I think because the goal with Power Finish is to finish LSP ready. I've never used it but I think if the PF allows you enough time to make extra passes with a finishing pad, then I think the burnishing effect might be better acheived with the softer pad. I've done this with optimum polish, granted it has a longer working time and it's cut might be more pad dependent.

When I use it, in my eyes it still needs to be followed with a finishing polish. I am pickier than everyone else. If you polish something it should always be finished with a finishing polish and pad, otherwise what is the purpose of Menzerna making a finishing polish.

dublifecrisis
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
i hear ya Asphalt. In some cases if you're only getting a 1 step it might be best to go lighter and get the gloss vs going heavier and leaving a less than perfect finish. I have a sample of PF. I'm wanting to try it out.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-04-2009, 10:04 PM
I feel if you want to go with a one step, don't use something as aggressive as Power Finish...I think nano would be a better product. This is for one step purposes though.