PDA

View Full Version : repair paint removal from edge

tallyho
02-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I painted my bike and while color sanding the clear coat to remove some slight to moderate orange peel I removed some paint from the edge on a small section. What is the best way to repair without spraying the entire part over? Thanks.

Feed back please

Craig
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
If you went through the clear coat and paint (down to primer or sealer) there is nothing to do other than repaint.

tallyho
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
the entire piece? Any way to spot repair?

Craig
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
You stated in your post, "I painted my bike", so I assume you painted the part in question. If it were my bike, with a paint containing flake, or a candy, I would repaint the entire part because, I myself, don't want to try matching and blending a "spot repair". If its a solid color without flake, I would spot it. This time maybe spray 1 more coat of clear at a lower pressure to smooth it out some and give you a little extra for sanding.

tallyho
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
it is a solid color (black). Wouldn't lower pressure give me more orange peel?

ss-truck
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Use a little more reducer in the last coat of clear , that will help . Most of the time I use a small amount more reducer in all the coats of clear than recommended and then a little more in last coat .

Craig
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
If pressure is too high the paint or clear will dry some before it lands on the part. Then once it's on the part it can't flow out to get a smooth surface. Are you moving the gun too fast, too far from the part, the right reducer for the temp? Like ss-truck stated, a little extra reducer.
Don't forget, the thinner the clear is the faster you need to move the gun. If you get a run, let it dry and sand it smooth. Don't use a DA for final sanding of the clear, just block it by hand.