PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing info

AudiTTman
02-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey guys!!! What are some mechanical parts i should be aware of when doing an engine detail. What stuff should be covered and that sort of thing. I love detailing the outside of the car, but the heart of the vehicle is all under the hood so i figured i might give mine a pick-me-up for the summer months ahead. Love to hear your input, take care!

Harleyguy
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey guys!!! What are some mechanical parts i should be aware of when doing an engine detail. What stuff should be covered and that sort of thing. I love detailing the outside of the car, but the heart of the vehicle is all under the hood so i figured i might give mine a pick-me-up for the summer months ahead. Love to hear your input, take care!The most important thing is not to get water down into the spark plug wells if they fill up it will a misfire .It happens at work all the time.Try not to get any harsh cemicals on the drive belt which could dry it out .Also try not getting water directly into the alternator .Alot of the times the plastic covers that cover the top end of the engine just pop off i take them off and clean them an treat them off the engine.I also have a large air compressor which makes things alot eaiser

Rsurfer
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
The most important thing is not to get water down into the spark plug wells if they fill up it will a misfire .It happens at work all the time.Try not to get any harsh cemicals on the drive belt which could dry it out .Also try not getting water directly into the alternator .Alot of the times the plastic covers that cover the top end of the engine just pop off i take them off and clean them an treat them off the engine.I also have a large air compressor which makes things alot eaiser
Right on Harleyguy and use CD2 as your dressing.:buffing:

ml13
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
:whs: CD2 is great stuff. Degrease your engine compartment first tho.

DetailnDude
02-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Ya might wanna lay some damp towels on the fenders or just make sure you get the degreaser off the paint asap just to prevent any staining. I haven't personally used the product mentioned but just a something to keep in mind. There's nothing like a motor that looks like it has never been started.

Good Luck !
Bob http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

redboost10
02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
dont forget about the air filter...obviously.

Jimmie
02-05-2009, 02:40 AM
At first I used to cover alternator, belts, and air intakes with a combo of freezer bags or tin foil. That time was reduced by using towels until I scared the heck out of myself by starting an engine with a towel over the belts. Now I don't cover a thing. Just use caution on where you are spraying degreaser/H2O.

AudiTTman
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey thanks for all the great info. Real quick though, say you have a turbo charged engine, do i need to cover the turbo up. There is alot of piping under my hood and id hate to mess it up hahah,,, but of course, id love to make it sexy lol

sqeekykleen
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
The outside of the turbo does not have to be covered up, as long as the pipes, hoses, etc. are still intact and hooked up. I wouldn't go and hit it with water / degreaser after it is up to full operating temp. Just my .02 Good luck.

orionz06
02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
i dont spend a terrible amount of time doing the engine, but i will normally hit it with steam and let the nasty stuff soak with purple power or simple green and hit again... ill dress the plastic covers and what not, but for a DD its hard for me to really car about how shiny the brake reservoir is...

maddenbowler
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
on the audi most of it is covered up so you could probably just wipe the engine and coolant covers with 303 and everything else with a damp rag