PDA

View Full Version : detailing flat paint.

Kris R
02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Has anyone seen a paint job like this before?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/665/medium/IMG_6605.jpg

Ive never touched this kind of finish....do you wax it? how do you care for it? keep it looking clean, dark and satin?

orionz06
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
i will assume wash well, and do very little... even quick detailers can change that finish...

DetailnDude
02-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I haven't figured that style out yet. I personally find it very unattractive and it's actually fairly popular. It looks to me like colored primer,base coat, or Laquer that has not been cleared in any case a Clear coat is going to have to be sprayed over it to get any kind of a shine.. If that is something other than Laquer or a base coat I would be interested in knowing what it is.

tripperfx3
02-06-2009, 02:36 AM
A lot of the evo guys like it and all they do is just wash it and make sure to get all the nit picky areas. My Dad's Harley has flat green paint and all I did was a coat of wax and it didn't add any gloss, but did add protection. I use Adams on his bike just to try it out. I wouldn't polish it or anything like that though.

t-bird
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I thank i would try using a 50/50 of (White Distilled Vinegar) after wash if was trying to get water spots off.

Craig
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Very popular today. Why I don't know, on here we tend to go for a shine. I know you can add flatting agent to the clear coat to make a satin look, add more for the flat look. The guys into rat rods use this alot. I don't understand why anyone would want their vehicle to look like primer, like a project that's never finished.

redboost10
02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Very popular today. Why I don't know, on here we tend to go for a shine. I know you can add flatting agent to the clear coat to make a satin look, add more for the flat look. The guys into rat rods use this alot. I don't understand why anyone would want their vehicle to look like primer, like a project that's never finished.

i feel the same way, looks very unfinished

RaskyR1
02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

I've been wondering how you would do paint correction on cars like this too. My father has been doing body work for over 40 years now and he also mentioned adding the flatting agent into the clear. If that's the case, I would think you could care for it like normal paint right?

does this type of paint even show swirls/cob-webbing? Feed back please

Jimmie
02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Another for wash only. Who cares if it oxodizes. Shouldn't reflect light to show swirls. Shine-iest area may be the wheel wells, lol.
Best guy to ask is "Batman".:D

DetailnDude
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I've been wondering how you would do paint correction on cars like this too. My father has been doing body work for over 40 years now and he also mentioned adding the flatting agent into the clear. If that's the case, I would think you could care for it like normal paint right?

does this type of paint even show swirls/cob-webbing? Feed back please
That's an interesting thought. You would think if it was a clear coat and had enough heat,lube and friction from a high speed would it shine it up. But on the other hand I don't know anything about the flattening agent. I have painted probably around 40 cars in my life but it's been a few years. I'll be scratching my head on that one for a while.. .

67Customs
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Depends on what finish it is and how they want it to look. if it is just a flat paint, just wash it. That is about all you can do to it.

However, if it is a flat clear, you can put a non-staining wax on it (something like DG AW would be fine). However, that will make it a tad shinier. Some people pick that flat because they want ti as flat as possible. In that case, wash it and move on.

The distilled vinigar is a good suggestion for removing water spots as flat paints do tend to rack them up well. However, that is about it.

I never have like the flat paint style myself.

Kris R
02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Well on any type of car I dont think it would look good. But alot of the new mustangs have huge racing stripes on the hood that are satin like this as well. Looks awesome...so Im wondering how to care for it.

Also this color is primarily for off road vehicles like the hummer and jeep..I think for those applications it looks fine.

67Customs
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
But alot of the new mustangs have huge racing stripes on the hood that are satin like this as well. Looks awesome...so Im wondering how to care for it.
They are vinyl stickers. An application of 303 once a month will take care of them or even coat of non-staining wax/sealant will work.