PDA

View Full Version : Help my choose a pad/polish kit

aceshigh73
08-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I've decided to take the plunge and get a PC...
I'll source the PC from another location, but will buy the pad/polish kit from AG...

Here's the info to help with the decision....

Main ride... is my Dark Blue Sonata... which I will use Carnuba on for most of the year except dead winter.. I will them move to just a sealant...

My other vehicle is a grey Toyota Sienna minivan... paint is in ok shape.. has some bug marks on it.. (tried to get them off today.. no real luck) It needs to be polished....
I will probably go all sealant on this vehicle... no real need or desire to use carnuba....

I was thinking of getting this kit
http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtliswrek.html

but was also thinking of getting the DP kit instead (or just piece what I need together...) the DP polishes are 9.99 right now.. so I could do a tad better, but I dont really want a few dollars to sway me from what I should get....

Appreciate any and all input...

P.S. I have Max Wax, EX-P, new DP Sealant, towels, etc.. so I wouldnt necessarily need to get alot of other products at this point...

Reddwarf
08-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I bought the poorboy's kit which is great, but I think this XMT kit is a winner.

Seems like some folks have been saying not to use the sealant with the XMT glaze so you may want to research that. Or surely someone will chime in and advise better than me.

D
08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I was thinking of getting this kit
http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtliswrek.html

Im getting that exact same kit for next summer.

aceshigh73
08-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Seems like some folks have been saying not to use the sealant with the XMT glaze so you may want to research that.
That is my dilema....

I will use the canuba glaze on my car, but not always....
and I will not use it at all on my other vehicle.....

Is it ok to finish with XMT 1 and go straight to sealant? Or will I need a finishing polish first?

Is it generally accepted practice to go from XMT 1 to say, the DP polish or the PB Polish?
I havent seen too many posts of people intermingling(sp?) polish from different companies.

I guess I could also go... SSR 2.5, 1.0, PwC and then switch to Pro Polsih when needed on the other vehicle or when Im going sealant only

Thanks
Mike

ScottB
08-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Get the XMT kit ... easy to use. I also highly suggest considering a kit with PC in it. The 20.00 or so you save getting machine locally, is usually wasted on gas and travel as well as waiting in line. The kits with the machines offer the best value, and the Poorboys kit is the hands down favorite.

When winter comes, you just polish with the polishes and then a quick alcohol wipedown. It will remove any fillers and oils, and you can then add the sealant. Since the XMT1 and Poorboys SSR 1.0 are both final polishes, no need to consider another polish. You have already jeweled the finish after using them.

aceshigh73
08-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Scott...

Thanks... I've seen the term "jeweled" a bunch of times but cant find what it means exactly... Can u elaborate?

Thanks

P.S. I have a GC from Amazon.com.. thats where I'll be getting the 7424 from...

BostonStang
08-20-2006, 08:27 AM
You won't be disapointed by the XMT Kit, Aceshight. I got mine Friday. I did my car with XMT3, XMT1, XMT Glaze and topped with Natty's. I couldn't believe how it turned my car around. My neighbor came out and looked at my car when I was done polishing and couln't believe there was not a drop of wax on the finish.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/brooksdjohnson/

Reddwarf
08-20-2006, 09:49 AM
You won't be disapointed by the XMT Kit, Aceshight. I got mine Friday. I did my car with XMT3, XMT1, XMT Glaze and topped with Natty's. I couldn't believe how it turned my car around. My neighbor came out and looked at my car when I was done polishing and couln't believe there was not a drop of wax on the finish.

I don't understand your last sentance. Natty's is a wax.

BostonStang
08-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Sorry for the lack of clarity. My neighbor came out after I had finished with the XMT3 and XMT1. But before I had applied the glaze or wax. Honestly, just the polishing with the PC made my car look better than it used to with a fresh wash and wax.

Reddwarf
08-20-2006, 09:56 AM
That makes sense!

The finish looks really good.

Surfer
08-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Sorry for the lack of clarity. My neighbor came out after I had finished with the XMT3 and XMT1. But before I had applied the glaze or wax. Honestly, just the polishing with the PC made my car look better than it used to with a fresh wash and wax.Good prep is the key, you can have the best products but w/o good prep your wasting your time. I remember the 1st time I did a compound and polishing job on my truck, my white suv after polishing was so reflective and looked better then it ever did before with just a cleaning and wax topping like NXT.

FloridaNative
08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Aces high how what year is the minivan?? If you have some etching you may want to order the XMT3 on the side just in case you need it.

As far as the XMT glaze, it is an awesome product but needs to be followed with a wax only. The glaze itself contains carnauba which would inhibit a sealant from bonding properly if applied on top of it.

If there are concerns about the polishes leaving trace oils you can always re-wash the car before applying the sealant (which you may want to do anyway if there is any dusting) or you can do a wipe down with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water solution and that will remove any residues on the paint and give your sealant a clean surface to bond to.

BostonStang
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Aces high how what year is the minivan?? If you have some etching you may want to order the XMT3 on the side just in case you need it.

As far as the XMT glaze, it is an awesome product but needs to be followed with a wax only. The glaze itself contains carnauba which would inhibit a sealant from bonding properly if applied on top of it.

If there are concerns about the polishes leaving trace oils you can always re-wash the car before applying the sealant (which you may want to do anyway if there is any dusting) or you can do a wipe down with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water solution and that will remove any residues on the paint and give your sealant a clean surface to bond to.

FloridaNative, it doesn't really show in the pics I posted. But in full sunlight the car has lots of tiny pin hole sized metalic looking speckles. The XMT threw off a lot of dust. I wiped down with a QD but didn't wash. Could this be the cause. They were not there before. Also seems to have highlighted every spot where a bug ever hit my bumper -ever.

FloridaNative
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
FloridaNative, it doesn't really show in the pics I posted. But in full sunlight the car has lots of tiny pin hole sized metalic looking speckles. The XMT threw off a lot of dust. I wiped down with a QD but didn't wash. Could this be the cause. They were not there before. Also seems to have highlighted every spot where a bug ever hit my bumper -ever.

The XMT shouldn't be dusting too much. How much did you apply to your pad? When I use XMT I only get a very little bit of dust which can be easily whisked away with a MF.

Yeah, that is the rub about polishing, it will uncover all those little pits and defects in your paint. I found a scratch I never even knew was there after polishing and it made the rock chips I had even more apparent. Polishing will get your surface clear, but it will also reveal to you areas that need attention. For me, it's off to get a paint touch up kit. :p

BostonStang
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I used a quarter sized dab like in the videos. A lot being a relative term. This was my first polish job so I don't have any reference to what other products might do.