PDA

View Full Version : pads

Pages : [1] 2

jamores23
01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
what size pads do you guys use? Im looking into buying pads with a backing plate and everything I need to get going any suggestions?:buffing:

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Rotary or da?

jamores23
01-20-2009, 01:52 AM
rotary. What is the difference between "XMT finishing glaze" and a polish?

gundie22
01-20-2009, 01:54 AM
I have 5.5 and 6.5 LC pads for my PC. I think when i order more I will get the 4" spot buffs and more of the 5.5's. For me the smaller ones work better to get in a variety of areas.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-20-2009, 01:54 AM
I would use the 5.5 inch.

jamores23
01-20-2009, 02:02 AM
what Menzerna products should I get for clear coat scratch removal on a interlagos metallic blue e46 m3? I want to know what im going to need. Im almost 100% im going to use souveran wax :) but I want a paint sealer and Im also a bit confused on whats the difference between a polish, glaze, compound?

Emile
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Get Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and Menzerna Nano Polish. I would get several orange pads and several white pads, in 5.5" size with a 5" backing plate. Maybe get a couple of the same color pads in 4" sizes with the 3.5" or 4" backing plate. If you plan to do the entire vehicle in one day, you're going to need multiple pads as the pads tend to gunk up after a few panels. You could clean the pad and use it over again, but that takes up some much-needed time...best to save the pad cleaning for the end.

A glaze simply brightens up the paint and offers no real paint protection. You would use it after polishing the vehicle and before your wax/sealant for a deeper wet look. With the Menzerna combo, you usually don't need a glaze at the end. You can just go straight to your wax.

Once you place your order, try Menzerna SIP with a white pad. If that doesn't work, then use Menzerna SIP w/orange pads. Then you do the entire vehicle again (working in 2x2 areas) with Menzerna Nano w/white pads to get rid of any left-over hazing and marring, and to bring the gloss back to the paint.

Seal it up with two coats of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and then top it with Souveran, if you want. Souveran has very limited durability whereas Wolfgang DGPS can last for 6 months or more.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Actually you need to go back over everything with a blue finishing pad, not a white pad.

jamores23
01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
what would I use on the blue pad?

RaskyR1
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I would get the 5.5" as well, but larger ones are nice for vehicles with large flat panels.

Larger pads will cut a little faster too. I stock both CCS 5.5" and Meguairs 6.5" and 7" 2.0 pads.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
what would I use on the blue pad?

You would use your finish polish on the blue pad, this would be your last step. You would follow up the white pad with the blue pad.

Speed-Dude
01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
im pretty sure a blue e46 m3 has soft paint so would he really need sip and orange?

maddenbowler
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I always heard german cars had a hard clear coat. I know my volkswagen does

jamores23
01-21-2009, 01:48 PM
so what does this mean ? How do I determine if a clear coat is hard or soft?

Old Pirate
01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Use the search button it's your friend, also I think AG has a chart on pads. For which cars are Hard , Med., or soft, finishes it takes time to learn which ones are what type of finish and sometimes when one thinks it's , say Hard , it turns out to be soft. MB is hard, BMW sometimes goes both ways but most of the time is hard, VW is hard, Audi is Hard, but one doesn't know till you start polishing. Hope you can make it to DF, loads of stuff to see and also to learn too. To answer your question, if you were polishing a panel and you couldn't get out some minor swirls after 2 or 3 passes , then it should be hard. Hope this helps out