PDA

View Full Version : spider web like scrtaches

ss-truck
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I am sure this has been discussed 1000 times but I will open this discussion again . I am working on a 2000 silver Cadillac . Polishing on the deck lid and hood and can not get the spider web like scratches out . Am using Menz Intensive and yellow and orange pads and also used Final Polish with orange pad . I know would be better if I had pics to show but I don't . Suggestions on what to try next or where did I go wrong ? Thanks in advance

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Are you using a rotary or da?

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-19-2009, 10:33 PM
What brand of pads are you using as well?

dublifecrisis
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
sounds like bad technique...no offense but even using a DA, you should be able to get swirls out. I know I have had success on both a Caddy and MB using Menzerna. Might take more than one pass but:

You need to work on small 2'x2' sections spreading a small amount of polish on a low speed. crank up the speed and do side to side then up down passes for approx 3-4 minutes (all DA instructions) move about 2 inches per second. Check out the pinnacle videos on this sight.

ss-truck
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry I forgot to say using PC and CCS pads . From comments you guys made I think I now know what I did wrong . Moving to fast and not polishing long enough . Thanks and any more comments are welcome .

highline1164
01-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I have a silver 2000 Cadillac and had the same swirls you are describing, Menzerna SIP with a purple wool and the white LC and she looked beautiful.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah man, stay away from the yellow pads. You don't need them unless the paint is oxidized. With the IP, start with a white pad and see if that corrects up to your standards, if not, move up to the orange pad, then go back over with the white pad. Just make sure to take your time and work the product in until it's broken down. After that, use the Final Polish with a blue pad. You should never use an orange pad with a polish.

Surfer
01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
As said move 1-2" per second and put some pressure on the PC. Its more of a feel thing, you want some pressure but not so much that it bogs down.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-19-2009, 11:44 PM
As said move 1-2" per second and put some pressure on the PC. Its more of a feel thing, you want some pressure but not so much that it bogs down.

Just be careful as to how much pressure is put. Like Surfer said, you don't want the pad to stop spinning, but the added pressure also puts added stress on the machine that isn't needed. I would say the weight of the machine is all you really need 90% of the time.

vinnier6
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
an orange pad is way too agressive for a final polish....the orange pad will induce its own swirling/micro marring....you then need to follow that up with a white pad and finish polish, most likely followed up with a black/blue pad and another finishing polish, then your lsp if you want perfection.....

but the short answer is your pad selection is wrong....

MoBenzOwner
01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
an orange pad is way too agressive for a final polish....the orange pad will induce its own swirling/micro marring....you then need to follow that up with a white pad and finish polish.

:iagree: