PDA

View Full Version : Black Trim on an Avalanche

Pages : [1] 2

bignfuzzy
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
I just bought a white, '09 Avalanche. My question is what to do about the black body panels that surround the bed. Right now they look nice, but I've seen several where the black panels have turned an ashy gray, and I don't want that to happen to mine. What products can you recommend? I was looking at Black WOW, but as I have no direct experience or preference I want to solicit opinions. Thanks!

AudiTTman
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Well i have this same kind of problem with my lower lip of my car. I have this mesh looking plastic which is starting to fade from black. I just saw in the Store(Autogeek's) that they have a buy one get one free deal on "Bumper and Trim Black"

I think i may just buy it because i like the way the applicator looks. And you get 2!!

Harleyguy
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Not sure if AG carries Mothers they have black again very inexpense seems to work very well or the prodcts AudiTT mentioned

AjNavo61490
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Black Wow from the reviews around the forums seems to be the best/longest lasting dressing for black plastics.

Meg's ASD is another good dressing, but doesn't last as long as Black Wow.

Rsurfer
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Black Wow from the reviews around the forums seems to be the best/longest lasting dressing for black plastics.

Meg's ASD is another good dressing, but doesn't last as long as Black Wow.
+1 on BW. Be sure to use it on a nice day and use very little. Get a damp mf and wipe after applying.

TLMitchell
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I just bought a white, '09 Avalanche. My question is what to do about the black body panels that surround the bed. Right now they look nice, but I've seen several where the black panels have turned an ashy gray, and I don't want that to happen to mine. What products can you recommend? I was looking at Black WOW, but as I have no direct experience or preference I want to solicit opinions. Thanks!

Black WOW! works well, a bit pricey and sometimes tedious to use. IME, it works best on pebble-grained and textured vinyl. On smooth glossy surfaces it can get smeary. Best results with BW are obtained using extremely small amounts.... which is what can get tedious spreading those tiny amounts over large surfaces.

Mother's Back to Black restores and preserves and I've had good results with longevity. It's relatively cheap which means you can slather it on faster and easier than BW then buff off the excess to get rid of any greasy look or excess. It's much easier to wipe off if you get it on paint.... BW is really tough to remove after you get it on a painted surface. B2B does leave a bit of a gloss until it's washed.

I recently used 303 Protectant on a tonneau cover and was impressed with it's cleaning abilities and natural look. I'd always just used it for interiors. I tried it on black bumper and window trim and so far it's lasted through several washes and everything a NE Ohio winter has thrown at it. Probably one of the easiest, trouble-free solutions, IMO.

The whole secret to large areas of black panels is to not let it dry out, oxidize and start graying in the first place. Like most things, it's easier to take care of in the first place rather than try to restore it later.

That black on white is a nice combo. DO avoid getting waxes or polish on the edges of the black as it looks like crap and is sometimes very tough to remove.

TL

Surfer
01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Using a regular trim product right now is not important, its using a good one with UV protection to avoid that ugly faded color. Plenty of good ones with strong UV protection. For ones that are faded, GM actually make s a great product but I'm having a brain fart, think it was called Gator Back or something like that?

TLMitchell
01-20-2009, 12:51 AM
(snippage) think it was called Gator Back or something like that?

Ain't that the stuff they pour on winning coaches?

:D

Wendell Jarvis
01-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Well i have this same kind of problem with my lower lip of my car. I have this mesh looking plastic which is starting to fade from black. I just saw in the Store(Autogeek's) that they have a buy one get one free deal on "Bumper and Trim Black"

I think i may just buy it because i like the way the applicator looks. And you
get 2!!
I hope that you haven't purchased the Bumper and Trim Black....I am not speaking directly or in a negative way about Autogeek ( I love'em) but that product really dissapointed me in a very big way, not at all what I was hoping for, it takes 3-4 applications and even after that.....its extremly dull looking and noticeable...........I havent tried the Forever Black....but it has to be better than this product........again just my personal experince.

AudiTTman
01-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Well im glad you told me that lol. I haven't ordered it. I learned my lesson when i jumped on a PC and not the flex. I take my sweet time and get a lot of opinion before i buy any detailing equipment now ahahha. What would you say is the absolute best for this type of problem???? I have 2 intercoolers on my audi and each is cover with a plastic mesh shield. The are starting to fade and i really want to bring life back into them

Wendell Jarvis
01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Well im glad you told me that lol. I haven't ordered it. I learned my lesson when i jumped on a PC and not the flex. I take my sweet time and get a lot of opinion before i buy any detailing equipment now ahahha. What would you say is the absolute best for this type of problem???? I have 2 intercoolers on my audi and each is cover with a plastic mesh shield. The are starting to fade and i really want to bring life back into them

Well.....In this business its certainly a learning proccess........I too own the PC 7424 and I do love it, but now I am looking to get the Flex or a Makita Rotary, I will still use the PC for LSP and wax.
As for your trim, like I said Forever Black would be my choice, I got the bumper trim because of the BOGO.but it makes bumpers and trim look like they have been done with shoe polish, very dull and flat looking, not even black, almost a dark gray color.......Forever Black is what will be on my next order list.......that and a whole lot of other things.......lol.......I am begining to spend way too much money....lol....

dublifecrisis
01-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Black Wow is more popular on vehicles such as the avalanche that have a lot more of the textured plastic. Others off the top of my head are Xterra, Element, Azrec.
Clean this stuff good with a soft brush and dilluted APC. Wipe on something like black wow or 303. Let is soak in for 15-30 minutes then buff off with a clean MF.

Jimmie
01-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Here's a review by Sparkie, "Black Wow".
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/12670-black-wow-review.html

He did another prior to Black Wow coming on the scene. I'll see if I can find it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3794-test-joe-p.html

Meghan
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok first of all everyone is talking about restoring the trim that is not his issue its an 09. You need UV protectant like surfer said, best one I can think of for this is 303 Protectant. Great UV protection and is water based. All these other products mentioned would be used if you had trim you had not been protecting and needed restoring. So no restoring products at this time, just UV protectant.

Surfer
01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Ok first of all everyone is talking about restoring the trim that is not his issue its an 09. You need UV protectant like surfer said, best one I can think of for this is 303 Protectant. Great UV protection and is water based. All these other products mentioned would be used if you had trim you had not been protecting and needed restoring. So no restoring products at this time, just UV protectant.That guy Surfer is the shiznit :D