PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys and thanks for the help so far.

gymguy
01-15-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm mostly do reproduction furniture as one of my hobbies and I love to learn new stuff. I will rebuilt engines and transmissions as the need arises but have not done much detailing in the past.

My son is building a tiger maple piece and he wanted a gloss finish. I usually hand rub out most of my furniture to a satin finish using pumice and rottenstone. For his furniture we chose gloss Behlen Rock Hard Varnish since we knew that a softer finish wouldn't compound well. It turns out that this varnish is every bit as hard as sprayed lacquer. We found Autogeekonline videos and advice from this forum to be a great help.

We used a Porter Cable 7424 along with Country Lake Pads and Farecla G3, G10, and XMT products and got pretty good results for a first attempt at a gloss finish. The tiger maple really pops!

We are so pleased we have decided to try our luck at detailing our cars with advice we learn from this forum. My cars need it since I buy a new car every 15 years whether I need it or not.

Pyrocite
01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Welcome! Make sure you post plenty of pic of cars or furniture... before and after if possible :)

-Marc-

bignfuzzy
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi GymGuy!