PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Car, Color Pad?

Gungho_15
01-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Recently purchased a 2009 Honda Fit Sport, Vivid Blue Pearl. I have read several posts on here regarding Claying and Polishing which I am fne and comfortable doing.

I plan on using the Wolfgang TSR 3.0, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, Wolfgang DGPS 3.0, then Souveran.

My only question is white pad or orange pad with rotary?

The paint is in decent shape, which it should be being brand new...lol, but it always seems that everyone goes straight to the orange pad.

Looking forward to responses and reasons!

Thanks in advance!

dublifecrisis
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM
i would say white polishing pad.

vinnier6
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
i would use nothing more than white on honda/acura paint....the clearcoat is soft....

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah man, start off with the white pad like Vinnie said. Your clear is really soft. You really won't need orange pads if you have a rotary because if you need that much cut, you can just use a wool pad.

Streetlife
01-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Gungho_15, if i were you i would start with a Porter Cable and some 4 inch pads, i have the Wolfgang 3.0 duo too. I tried using my rotary the first time about a year ago on a 1998 Acura 3.0CL, i burned the paint a little bit on the bumper. I still love my rotary but I realize it takes time to work up to one.:cheers:

RaskyR1
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I would see no reason to even touch a new car with a rotary. Unless it has heavy swirls, I would be using a finishing pad and a DA. ;)

loudog2
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Try the Wolfgang finishing glaze with a gray pad first. The Wolfgang glaze is basically a nano polish like 106FA. If that doesn't do anything, then go to the TSR and a white pad. Finish with the wolfgang glaze and a gray pad

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I would see no reason to even touch a new car with a rotary. Unless it has heavy swirls, I would be using a finishing pad and a DA. ;)

Why not?, Why would you choose a da with a finishing pad over a rotary with a finishing pad, that does not make any sense to me.

builthatch
01-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Why not?, Why would you choose a da with a finishing pad over a rotary with a finishing pad, that does not make any sense to me.

ehh, i believe he's just referring to the smaller margin of error with the new honda finishes. it just corrects so easy with a DA, without trails or any non-sense that can occur from a rotary, especially when finish polishing. we, or atleast i, am unsure of the OP's skills with a rotary, so a safe bet would be the DA.

OP, i've gotten fantastic results with a DA and white pad on 07 and 08 hondas, then follow up with maybe a gray pad if you have one and an AIO or fine finishing polish.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Since he was asking which pad with a rotary it is clear what tool he is using and has used it before. A blue finishing pad works great on soft paint and with a little patience the sky is the limit.

builthatch
01-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Since he was asking which pad with a rotary it is clear what tool he is using and has used it before. A blue finishing pad works great on soft paint and with a little patience the sky is the limit.

i initially thought that, and no offense to the OP, but he's asking about whether to use an orange pad (or a white one) with a rotary on a new honda. that was a red flag to me. i think rasky might have seen the same thing.

again, no offense to the OP, he might be very good, but once i saw that i figured the safer the better.

good to know about the blue pad though.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-15-2009, 12:10 AM
What I got out of that was he didn't realize Honda had soft paint. He just needed to know that it did and given a pad choice that would work with the soft paint. No need to tell him to go to a DA just because alot of people can't work a rotary on soft paint, he feels he can so just help with what will be needed with what he is working with, that is the rotary and soft paint.

Gungho_15
01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks for everyones expertise!

I had no idea Honda had soft paint. I was actually leaning towards the harder side. I also have an Acura RSX and have used an orange pad. Very hesitantly mind you!

I think I am gonna try the grey pad with the glaze to start. I do believe that I am gonna at least have to go white pad with the TSR for some reason.

I truly do respect all of you on this forum. I always do appreciate all comments, concerns, and feedback! No one ever knows everything, as much as we think we do, and I personally always look forward to learning!

Thanks again, and feel free to keep commenting on the process! This has been of great help.

Thanks
Sean!

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Just remember the gray pad does have slight cut and you might have to follow up with a blue pad since Honda does have soft, that is why I suggested using the blue pad first

builthatch
01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for everyones expertise!

I had no idea Honda had soft paint. I was actually leaning towards the harder side. I also have an Acura RSX and have used an orange pad. Very hesitantly mind you!

I think I am gonna try the grey pad with the glaze to start. I do believe that I am gonna at least have to go white pad with the TSR for some reason.

I truly do respect all of you on this forum. I always do appreciate all comments, concerns, and feedback! No one ever knows everything, as much as we think we do, and I personally always look forward to learning!

Thanks again, and feel free to keep commenting on the process! This has been of great help.

Thanks
Sean!

good luck and let us know how it turns out.