PDA

View Full Version : buy flex or pc?

Pages : [1] 2

Speed-Dude
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
so i've been debating for the past few days to either get a flex or a pc. i know alot of people say "get a flex its the best!" but ive seen over and over again that people are saying "i just got this new pc and it rocks!".

another reason why i can't decide is that im 15 years old so my budget is extremely tight. $150 is probably a bit more precious than most people would feel but as i've been seeing, the detailing business is fairly fruitfull. whichever machine ill be getting, ill be keeping for a very long time.

third thing is if anyone thinks i shouldnt even spend my money on starting a little side business and should just focus on school. i am planning on saving my profits for college.

appreciate any help! :D:D

loudog2
01-13-2009, 07:24 PM
If money is tight then go for the PC. Remember you still need pads and products. The flex is better and will reduce your detail time, but do what you can. The PC works great. Remember to get some 4 inch pads. They help a lot.

ScottB
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
If you can afford to do it correctly the first time then Flex. Trust me any user that has PC and tried Flex did not go back afterwards for anything but carpet cleaning and light finishing polishes.

loudog2
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
If you can afford to do it correctly the first time then Flex. Trust me any user that has PC and tried Flex did not go back afterwards for anything but carpet cleaning and light finishing polishes.
I still use mine. I'll flex most of the car. Then use the PC with the 4 inch pads on the bumpers.

Speed-Dude
01-13-2009, 08:08 PM
stop! now you're making me want both!!

builthatch
01-13-2009, 08:11 PM
4" pad capability; that is 100% the reason i didn't get the flex and got my PC (i have rotary now, finally ; )

I can't imagine not having 4" pad capability for all the tight areas.

vinnier6
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
are you trying to go into business, then again its still a tough call...you can get 2 pc's for the price of a flex...

i have two pc's, and have no problems doing what i need to do with them...i am sure a flex would be nice, but too pricey for me the weekend hobbyist...

Speed-Dude
01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
i guess ill be doing more of a weekend hobbyist type of thing

maddenbowler
01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
i got the PC and im pleased with it. But then again i dont use it on a weekly basis. If you plan on using it constantly then the flex will be better

flyfishindawg
01-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Another option might be the Megs G110 as it has a little more power than the PC.

gewb
01-14-2009, 08:42 AM
If you can afford the Flex and a few basic pads / supplies, go that route.

After you make a few dollars you can easily and inexpensively add a USED Porter Cable as they have been out for many years and can be found in most pawn shops, garage sales or flea markets at a reasonable price (as in $60 to $95).

The Flex will do 80% - 90% of the surfaces on most vehicles much faster (according to those who use both). Time is money - spend a little more now to save the most over time.

Regards,
GEWB

vinnier6
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
i am going to vote for you to get a pc or the meguiars g110....you just dont seem like you need the extra cost of a flex, you can spend that money on an array of polishes and pads and other supplies....

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I bought a PC and the couple times I've used it I was very pleased. I haven't looked into the price of a Flex, but if it's that much more expensive, then go with the PC because you still need to add the compounds, polishes, pads, etc. Try looking into getting a PC kit...it might save you a few bucks. What kind of car will you be working on?

vinnier6
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
flex with nothing is 279.00...pc with a few pads and polish and wax is 169.00

AudiTTman
01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Well i think every DA that we've named do a great job when used with the proper polishes/compounds/waxes+sealents. I was in the exact same position as you about 3 months ago. I bought a PC kit which was around $279.00 from here. I like to really take my time so the PC works great for me.

I will say, once you start adding up all the pads, polishes, and other accessories ....you'll be getting up there in price. Once i bought the kit, i then added some other stuff to it which really complete the whole package.

My advice to you would be to start with the PC. Make some money with it and gain a good technique. Heck after detailing 5 cars, you would be able to buy a flex plus tons of other supplies....,then later down the road sell the PC and by that time you may want to go up to a rotary. The possibilities are endless lol.