PDA

View Full Version : Durability of DG #501 Marine RV Polish?

Pages : [1] 2

Emile
01-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I am guessing that Duragloss #101 Polish & Cleaner is more appropriate for cars compared to #501 Marine RV Polish but #501 is a much better value at $13 for 16oz (vs $20 for two 8oz bottles of #101).

Who uses it? How is the durability? Is it still the typical 6-12 months, like the other Duragloss polishes? Is it even safe to use on clear-coated paints such as on our cars?

Thanks,
Emile

CharlesW
01-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I am guessing that Duragloss #101 Polish & Cleaner is more appropriate for cars compared to #501 Marine RV Polish but #501 is a much better value at $13 for 16oz (vs $20 for two 8oz bottles of #101).

Who uses it? How is the durability? Is it still the typical 6-12 months, like the other Duragloss polishes? Is it even safe to use on clear-coated paints such as on our cars?

Thanks,
EmileI have never used the 501 as my LSP, but it is a great cleaner prep.
I follow it with Duragloss 601 and 105 with good results.
I really can't comment on the durability of that combination since I rarely go past the 4 to 6 week mark without applying more. In between that 4 to 6 week reapplication, I will probably use Aqua Wax 2 or 3 times.
I like shiny cars. :D

CharlesW
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Emile:
I just looked at your signature.
A G36, a WRX, K-AIO, K-SG, Wolfgang DGPS and you are being influenced by the cost of a Duragloss product. :D
It just seemed funny to me.
Hey, if it's for the car, what difference does it make?

Larry A
01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Ive used 501 several times and I am amazed on how much dirt 501 pulls out of the paint. Ive done my wifes van 2 1/2 months ago , and its still slick and beads a lot . I was going to top it with 105 but didnt have the time.

Emile
01-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Charles, the G35 also has Dodo Juice Blue Velvet on the hood (which looks really dope by the way). I appreciate the nice products, but I also appreciate a good value. :cheers:

Do you guys think that DG #101 can clean up existing paint protection as well?

Bradshaw
01-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Me personally, would not use 501 as a standalone. I would top it with 111 or 101

Emile
01-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Cool thanks. As I asked before, will DG #101 Cleaner & Polish clean up other durable polishes/sealants such as Klasse AIO and/or Klasse Sealant Glaze, or whatever the hell else I may have on the vehicle?

CharlesW
01-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Cool thanks. As I asked before, will DG #101 Cleaner & Polish clean up other durable polishes/sealants such as Klasse AIO and/or Klasse Sealant Glaze, or whatever the hell else I may have on the vehicle?Not having used the DG 101, I can't say what it will do. When you read the AG info on it, it seems like that is part of the products intent.
Because of what I read about the cleaning ability of DG 501, I decided to give it a try. Several people mentioned that it did a great job of cleaning.
So far, I'm happy with it, but my vehicles are never in real serious need of a paint cleaner so any of several would probably do the job.
If I were choosing between the two, I would/did go with the 501. If you already have the 101, it will probably do a good job for you.

akimel
01-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Emile, in some of his past postings, Al-53 has stated that he usually gets 3-4 months from 501 when left by itself. He particularly loves it on white cars. Though sold as a marine product, it is safe for all auto paint surfaces. I have found this DB thread (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f15/duragloss-3152.html) and this AG thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-forum/15672-duragloss-process.html) to be particularly informative.

Emile
01-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Cool thanks for the posts guys. And thank you for the links to those threads, I was actually looking for that damn AG thread you linked but kept not coming up in search for me.

Al-53
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
DG 501 is very paint safe....best paint cleaner/sealant product I have used....it will do as a standalone product also....It will go thru a winter with ease here in New England....

look at it this way....on a boats hull it lasts all summer with the boat in the water 24/7..plus the water abrasion from using it daily..that's durability...

501 has a better look than 101 also...and much slicker....

It will remove ANY lsp on paint..it is strong cleaning...lifts dirt from the mirco pores in paint....

try this..use Klasse AIO on the paint...then do 501 ..see how much dirt it removed after a Klasse AIO treatment..and I love Klasse products...

I do plow trucks in Nov with 501..come April they are still beading well and still have the nice easy to clean surface where the dirt just rinses right off and beads and sheets water great

Al

Qashqai
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Would DG 501 be to strong or necessary for brand new paint ? i will have a new Nissan in Cayman Blue in few weeks time and want to use Duragloss from the start,this is what i had thought of using......... 501 or 101 to start then 601with 105, the 105 two have 2 or 3 coats with 12 hour gaps, i am happy to give a coat of 105 or 111 every month so durability isn't a issue..... What do you think ??

CharlesW
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Would DG 501 be to strong or necessary for brand new paint ? i will have a new Nissan in Cayman Blue in few weeks time and want to use Duragloss from the start,this is what i had thought of using......... 501 or 101 to start then 601with 105, the 105 two have 2 or 3 coats with 12 hour gaps, i am happy to give a coat of 105 or 111 every month so durability isn't a issue..... What do you think ??I'm certainly not a Duragloss expert, but it depends a lot on the condition of the paint when your new Nissan is delivered.
The #105 is a cleaner polish that might be all you will need. Try the 601 and 105 on one panel and see how it looks. 501 is not going to damage your new car, but might not be needed. I don't happen to own any 101. If I need a paint cleaner from Duragloss, I go right to the 501. That only happens a few times a year.
Then again, you may need to use a swirl remover before any of the products mentioned.
Dealers deliver cars in varying condition. Most in the "not too great" category.

Emile
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Charles, I have found that #105 isn't capable of removing Zaino products or Klasse AIO so the cleaning power isn't that strong in 105. When not doing a real cleaning with a product such as Klasse AIO, it's definitely necessary to go over the car with the #601 PBA and then applying #105.

CharlesW
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Charles, I have found that #105 isn't capable of removing Zaino products or Klasse AIO so the cleaning power isn't that strong in 105. When not doing a real cleaning with a product such as Klasse AIO, it's definitely necessary to go over the car with the #601 PBA and then applying #105.Since I tend to more or less group the products I use, I have certain products I use with others
When my LSP is #105, my initial prep will be with #501 as the cleaner/prep, #601 because Duragloss recommends it, #105, and then Aqua Wax 2 or 3 times a month.
I only do the complete cleaner prep thing 2 or 3 times a year. I do apply #105 every 4 to 6 weeks and rarely use the #601 at that time. I figure the #105 should bond to the #105 and it's cleaning power should be enough in that case.

When I use Opti-Seal as my LSP, my cleaner prep is Poli-Seal at the same 2 or 3 times a year intervals. After the Poli-Seal/Opti-Seal application, I use the Aqua Wax 2 or 3 times a month and add another application of Opti-Seal every 4 to 6 weeks.

When I use Meguiar's, my prep is #80 followed by several different Meg's LSPs over the years.

My methods may not be for everyone, but they work for me. I haven't had much incompatibility problem with different manufacturer's products on the same vehicle, but I did have it one time. My LSP smeared the cleaner/prep quite badly and I never used that combination again. It happened to be a 3M product and a Meguiar's product. Since they are now one big happy family, they would probably get along great together today. :D

The only vehicles I take care of are my own and they are never in very bad shape to start with. Keeping a car up is a heck of a lot easier than resurrecting one. :)