PDA

View Full Version : Touchless car wash

GMC83
01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok, i have heard a lot of people say that a touchless car wash( obviously no brushes) can put swirls in your cars paint, i know that they remove wax. But i have the heard other people say that when they go to detail a car or do correction work its not that hard because the paint was never touched

So which is it, do they swirl up your car or not, i really do not know as i have heard they do and that they do not???

nrengle
01-08-2009, 12:59 AM
I had a car I religiously put through a touchless, and it didn't really swirl, but definitely marred the paint. Scratches, dullness, chips, etc. I chocked it up to can't keep them looking new (till I found this site!). I say beware!!

Showroom Shine
01-08-2009, 08:13 AM
I do not use them often,but in the winter in Ohio, I'll go to a touchless wash to get the salt off. The minor marring that I see is easily corrected with Menzerna and a white or blue pad come spring. The salt will marr the finish just letting it stay on your car!

dublifecrisis
01-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Potential marring or swirls never kept me away from touchless washes. it was the dirty water and harsh chemicals. And those that drive hatchbacks surely know that it's so hard to get the hatch area to dry and not be spotty, it just aint worth the $$.

orionz06
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
self wash car wash and rinse the crap off...

the way i look at is the same as the ohio guy...

the method will kill the paint, the salt will kill the paint... i will detail it anyway in the spring...

CharlesW
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Just a few comments.
1. I use both touchless and DIY wand washes in the winter to remove heavy accumulations of road grime and salt.
2. I then finish the job in my garage with either a rinseless wash or Spray & Wipe.
3. I don't seem to have any large amount of paint damage.
4. I would rather correct that little bit of marring rather than leave the salt.
5. The wash facility I go to does not use recycled water. It is all fresh water.
6. The harsh soap may be a fact, but since my vehicles still have road film on them after going through the wash, I don't see how it can be removing wax. Heck, it doesn't even remove the dirt.
7. Another benefit to going through the drive-thru touchless occasionally is the underbody flush. It isn't the greatest, but I still think it helps.
8. Is it Spring yet?

D
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Ok, i have heard a lot of people say that a touchless car wash( obviously no brushes) can put swirls in your cars paint, i know that they remove wax. But i have the heard other people say that when they go to detail a car or do correction work its not that hard because the paint was never touched

So which is it, do they swirl up your car or not, i really do not know as i have heard they do and that they do not???

I bet the polish they are using is filling in swirls and by going through the car wash it removes the fillers.

GMC83
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
does leaving the salt on your car damage it?

GMC83
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
when i say dmage i mean like marr the paint

D
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
If something is just sitting on the paint and not moving than its not going to marr the paint.

CharlesW
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
One of my concerns with having my vehicles coated with the salt/sand mixture is the inevitable rub against it by someone in the parking lot.
It does happen and the results are not good.

Speed-Dude
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
exactly. you would think someone would try and avoid touching a dirty car.

GMC83
01-08-2009, 06:33 PM
[quote=Speed-Dude;212363]exactly. you would think someone would try and avoid touching a dirty car.

some people just dont have respect for others property