PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Vs sheet metal

Pages : [1] 2

Harleyguy
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Hello i was wondering when i want to detail my corvette is there anything i should watch out for Vs detail my ford truck.I'am going to use klasse or XMT 360 and the 180 .My vette is black by the way and please go easy on me LOL this is all new to me so alot of questions and i.ve done alot of reading .Thank you

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
The only thing when using a rotary on a vette or any other vehicle that uses composite body parts it tends to hologram alot easier and harder to get out. As far as anything else treated it like any other painted surface. Show some pics when you are done with your vette, I am a little partial to black vettes.:D

Harleyguy
01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I sure will i'm using a porter cable that i just bought from here i do also have a Makita rotary and a craftman buffer i have alot of tools but little knowlage so far LOL Hopefully i will increase my knowlage to compare as many tools i have .My vette also has red interior which i think looks awesome i'm not a big black fan but with the red it pops.Thanks for the help

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Anytime, let us know how it comes out.

ScottB
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I see alot of comments on people afraid of the difference between composite panels and metal panels. (fiberglass is long gone in most Vettes) You are actually working on a painted and clearcoated surface which are quite similar actually. I have noticed from time to time a metal surface seems hotter in the same environment which can lead to shorter polishing time, but never found much else differently.

Harleyguy
01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Killrwheels is that a pic of your vette ?? If it is i know were to go for some help since i have the same ride LOL .Where in south fla are you located.This weekend my Magnaflow cat back system goes on and a cold air intake then i can hook it up to my laptop and do some tuning.And by the way any chevy fans out there need a custom tune let me know

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
So you do you have an 06 like Killr and I do?

Harleyguy
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I have an 06 C6 15,000 miles six speed and every factory option that was available .Bought last week and the only reason i got black was the price of the car was to good to let go also has red interior

D
01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
So you do you have an 06 like Killr and I do?

I cant handle all this vette talk.

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I have an 06 C6 15,000 miles six speed and every factory option that was available .Bought last week and the only reason i got black was the price of the car was to good to let go also has red interior

Very nice, low miles, you bought the best color of a vette anyway. Just a little extra work but well worth it. This is my fourth black vette and yes sometimes it can be a pain, but when they are cleaned there is nothing better looking than a black vette.

I cant handle all this vette talk.

Go out and buy one of the ones you were looking at.:D

Harleyguy
01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Work i don't mind, Getting the feel for detailing my car is the road block right now .Started buffing the hood today i don't think i'm getting the results that i should be .I have some questions i will post

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Let me know what you need help with and I will get you in the right direction.

Harleyguy
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Let me know what you need help with and I will get you in the right direction.
Well i was told i wasted my money on the Klasse wasted my money on the 360 and was told to get a pro too detail the car.Hell i knew that but wanted to learn something new anyone can go pay a pro that's not my intension i also have two other cars i can use those products on but the vette is main project now .The paint is was very well mantained i just want it too pop out somemore. I think i will go get some XMT # 1 and # 2 and do what i have been watching on the videos .The car has very few small hairline scratches so maybe the 360 is too light of an treatment i still can use the 180 wax that came with it . i knew that this wasn't going to be easy but when you hear you wasted your money makes me feel like a jerk . I run a very large volvo dealership on the repair end been around cars so long i'm bald from them .I'm sure with reading and videos and some help i will get it done . I thank you for your postive feedback .And yes i even contected some local pro and willing to pay to learn this and it's only to clean my own cars and some of my techs .So any advised other then negitive is taken .Every pro started as a newbie at some point .Maybe i bit off more then i can chew but will move forward .

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Check your pad thread, also in the dealership business as a service manager.

D
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Well i was told i wasted my money on the Klasse wasted my money on the 360 and was told to get a pro too detail the car.Hell i knew that but wanted to learn something new anyone can go pay a pro that's not my intension i also have two other cars i can use those products on but the vette is main project now .The paint is was very well mantained i just want it too pop out somemore. I think i will go get some XMT # 1 and # 2 and do what i have been watching on the videos .The car has very few small hairline scratches so maybe the 360 is too light of an treatment i still can use the 180 wax that came with it . i knew that this wasn't going to be easy but when you hear you wasted your money makes me feel like a jerk . I run a very large volvo dealership on the repair end been around cars so long i'm bald from them .I'm sure with reading and videos and some help i will get it done . I thank you for your postive feedback .And yes i even contected some local pro and willing to pay to learn this and it's only to clean my own cars and some of my techs .So any advised other then negitive is taken .Every pro started as a newbie at some point .Maybe i bit off more then i can chew but will move forward .

If you aren't thankful for the honest advice I'm giving you, than Ill be more than happy to stop. My only purpose is to help you out, not make you feel like a "jerk."

Klasse will work well on windows, XMT 360 will work well on door jams.