PDA

View Full Version : pc burning up

Pages : [1] 2

Kelso
08-18-2006, 12:58 AM
ok so i had my first experience of using my pc on someone elses car today. i didnt have much daylight and didnt wanna get stuck at my friends house all night so i was using XMT 1 and really working the polish in because thus far i ve had a tendency to stop too soon. it was a black e60 m5 though so the paint was still nearly perfect. wel i got the front done and the trunk and there was one scratch i was trying to work out and by this time my hands were getting burned the pc was getting so damn hot. and then i turned it off and my friend says he could smell it cooking...i smelt it too but was hoing it wasnt the pc...sure enough there was a little smoke coming off of it. is this normal for you guys? how can you polish a whole car or truck with this thing?i didnt even get half of it completely polished then decided to stop and just put some poorboys ex- p on it and after a while some souveran on the hood and other noticable spots for the wow factor

JoeD
08-18-2006, 07:50 AM
This is Not Normal for the PC. Yes, it does get a little warm from using but not to the extent that it's too Hot to handle. Also, if it is "smoking" then something is deffinetly wrong. Have is checked out!

abrcrombe
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Did you buy it from Lowes or AG?? Contact them looking for a replacement and where do you live so you can get me a ride in that m5!!! My buddies buddy works at a BMW dealership and compares the acceleration to a MOTORCYCLE!! :p

Al-53
08-18-2006, 01:37 PM
were you putting a lot of downward pressure on it...I mean alot...like really compressing the pad....there is a fan on the armuture to cool the motor..if you have it on high speed and bogging it down..the current it draws heats the motor and the bogging slows the fan..so in respect you get over heating...

I have used a PC for years doing woodwork before I used it for paint work..and it does have its limits..it is not like a rotary thats has a ton of torque...but will get the job done..but takes time..it takes me 5-6 hours to do my truck..multiple passes...with the rotatry it takes 1-2 passes..

not that this was your case...but asking...it is a great tool..but not for heavy paint corrections....

Al

Kelso
08-19-2006, 03:47 PM
nah it was only a few months old so there was no real paint correcting except for a small maybe 2 inch long scratch. i bought it from AG, actually my girlfriend bought it as a present i wanted:awesome:

i was using some pressure but not bogging it down, since the paint was good i was just using light pressure and really working each panel for as long as i could until i thought it was probably lookin good.

like i said this thing was burning hot, mainly on the grey part where the motor is but the bottom black piece and top black piece were getting a bit much for me to hold towards the end of the session. does it sound like it might be defective? i did plan on eventually using this quite a bit in a business after college.

Al-53
08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
If you were not doing alot of heavy downward pressuer and bogging it down....and going litely..then I would say it has to do with the PC....nothing is made perfect...just ask the auto industry..they have recall after recall.lol..

so going by what you said..it narrows down to PC may be faulty...

Al

Kelso
08-19-2006, 05:42 PM
well ill be using it more tomorrow i think and i watched the videos so i have an even better understanding of how to use it but i dont think i was pushing too hard. i wish it was easy to have a portable air tank so i oculd by a pnuematic one because i use them at work and they are the ####! but its much easier to get power through a cord than an air hose... plus they sound cooler like an f1 car or something where the pc sounds like a deisal knocking lol

Kelso
08-20-2006, 07:28 PM
well i used it on an m3 today and used hardly any pressure,basically the weight of the machine, if that, and it still got very hot. anybody from AG wanna chime in? should i ship this back or something? i just want it fixed or replaced, whatever i want a fully functional PC...?

FloridaNative
08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Talk to Meghan tomorrow when she comes in.

MikeyC
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm also thinking it's possible you may have been blocking the heat vents with your hand. The PC seems to vent the motor heat from right behind the black head piece. I've definitely blocked it partially a few times with my hand and noticed the machine heating up quite a bit.

Kelso
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
i dont think its that i usually have my right hand either on the bottom or wrapped around the middle, and my other hand holding the very tip to keep it level instead of the handle.. i can see where that wouldd cause a problem but thats not it...

AGFeed back please

Kelso
08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
just emailed the techs of AG, i just wanna get this thing taking care of as quick as possible so i can line up some more jobs!

TNT-C5
08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
What gauge and how long an extension cord do you use?

Kelso
08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
ive used a few different ones long and short, no thicker than the wire of the pc itself... if i have enough reach, ill plug the pc directly into the wall. but even if i was using the wrong type of cord, it owuldnt make it smoke and burn my hands... i mean it was still hot an hour or 2 later... when i was putting it in the box after laying on the ground in front of a fan

Kelso
08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
well until now i havent had to deal with the service at autogeek that people rave about, but now i know why. jason is hooking me up with a new PC and im sending this one back to get repaired or whatever. thanks autogeek, you truly do rock:righton: